Can't Connect to the WebChat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akivar

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried today to reconnect to the Chat Console and can't figure out why I can't connect.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
So... what's the actual problem? What goes wrong, specifically?[DOUBLEPOST=1370666659][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually, I think I see the problem. A timed out connection?

This appears to be something wrong with Esper.net's webchat system. Annoyingly, nothing we can do about it except ask Esper.net to fix it, which I'll go and do now.

EDIT: Talked to someone in esper.net#help, said he'd seen a lot of netsplits and connection issues today, so it's probably server problems. The server staff are likely already working on it.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, just got a reply from an official person, the webchat is "experiencing an outage". For now, follow these instructions:
  1. Go to https://kiwiirc.com/client
  2. Enter desired nickname (and password, if you've registered the nick)
  3. In channel, change to "#FTB" (without quotes)
  4. Click the Server and Network link
  5. Change Server to "irc.esper.net" (without quotes, again)
You should now be able to click join and be in the #FTB channel as normal.

Reactions: QueWhat

Akivar

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I did find that information out... Could you make a News Post about this on the Main Site or something that way people can stay connected during "Outages?"

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I can ask Slowpoke about it if I see him, but there's no way I could do it myself. I'll try to bring it to the attention of the web devs, maybe they could put the instructions on the chat page.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
how about a self referncial page on the wiki, to cover forum, chat, teamspeak (but NOT the unlocked information for it) and so forth, and put in the real location the chat is really happening at on there?

Not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean a page with information in case the forum, chat or teamspeak goes down? Oh , and the teamspeak is public anyway, connection information is on the home page.
The problem with putting the "real location" of the chat is that the chat page is really just an embedded form of webchat.esper.net (I believe it uses iframes, if you're a web dev). That's the site that's down, and there's no point linking to it, because you'll get the same thing there as you will here. Unless you mean the IRC server connection info?
Please clarify what you mean, this is really confusing to me.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019

http://feed-the-beast.com/#community_wrapper
How about adding the IRC info there? The Teamspeak is already there, so it would make sense to just put the IRC stuff there. I'd put it on the wiki, but that just makes more places for information to become potentially forgotten and incorrect. Also, people are more likely to go to the home page for this kind of info, rather than the wiki.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Akivar

Jul 29, 2019
I actually went to the forum right away looking for a News Update.
Took me about an hour or so of searching to find that Esper.net was experiencing issues.
However I did more research than the typical... well google didn't find anything the first time. xD

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, this problem has been blown way out of proportion. I'll throw up a link on the homepage in the community area but I don't really think a webchat being down of maybe one hundred users a day justifies notifying a few hundred thousand people :3

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, this problem has been blown way out of proportion. I'll throw up a link on the homepage in the community area but I don't really think a webchat being down of maybe one hundred users a day justifies notifying a few hundred thousand people :3
Oh well. The people that it helps will probably appreciate, the rest will probably ignore it :p

Akivar

Jul 29, 2019
I just wasn't sure about what was going on with the WebChat at first. I figured it out later and thought i'd see about informing some of the people that it affects in some way. Typically it's just a forum post in most cases that people get linked to, to get the information they need. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.