Can't climb ladders?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
So I just put up a bunch of ladders and I've just now realized that I can't climb them for some reason.

This happened to me before, but it was easily fixed with a relog. Now it won't go away.

I'm currently using CustomNPCs and nothing else. No smart moving.

I'm in survival and the server is on peaceful. The ladders are being placed on sandstone and smooth sandstone, if that means anything.

I tried this both on adventure mode and on creative as well but that didn't help.

Suggestions?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to try killing yourself, as well as jumping at the ladders. You can't climb if there isn't a ladder at foot level.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Pictures, although I don't think anything's wrong.
2m5r.jpg

I'm going to backup this world, make a copy of it, and try it without custom NPCs. That might fix it.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested it in vanilla, same problem.

It makes the ladder sounds when I try to climb it (both modded and unmodded) but I can't hold down shift to stop myself from moving and I can't climb it either.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I mean if you have gravisuit that's flying.

But it's probably just the bug where the game doesn't register you being there. Other symptoms are mobs ignoring you and not being able to step on pressure plates etc.

Drewfro666

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having the same problem playing FTB Unleashed, both in my SSP and SMP worlds. First I noticed I was going through a jungle and it wouldn't let me climb any vines, but it wouldn't let me climb ladders either. No armor and certainly no flying, just FTB and Optifine. Halp?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Try going in to creative fly mode, putting on a gravichestplate, going out of creative, then back in, taking off the chestplate, going back into survival, and climbing the ladder. I had a bug once where I couldn't fly in creative without the gravichestplate, and I feel that this might be related.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
I tried this too in direwolf20's 1.5 pack
I simply restarted my client and then it worked again, idk if it's a vanilla bug or ftb related?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Does everyone with this problem use optifine? I think I saw something about this in the optifine minecraft forum topic.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
I had indeed optifine enabled wierd thing that optifine could do it, but oh well, that might be it!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, last I heard, optifine did some stuff in EntityPlayer ... I think?

This certainly ain't the first case where optifine breaks climbing I've heard of.

lord_terror

Jul 29, 2019
what optifine version are you using
i was using
"optifine_1.5.2_HD_U_D3"
so i downgraded to the previus version of optifine 1.5.2
"optifine_1.5.2_L_D2
and the problem is gone