Cannot Connect Using Public IP When Port Forwarded

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
A

Arukuto

Title Cannot Connect Using Public IP When Port Forwarded

Launcher Type Twitch Desktop App

Modpack Infinity Evolved

Modpack version 3.0.2

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/ebe63c0e

Details of the issue Hello!
I have been researching about the problem for around 3 hours and have still not found a solution to it. I do own a normal bukkit/spigot server that my friends are able to connect to but once i launch my FTB server i can only connect using 'Localhost' I have allowed the ports 25565 into my firewall and my portforwarding and also the port 19132 (i used this port because ACCORDING to a website i was supposed to use this???) But it still does not work. I have 2 other friends who have friend to host the server, one with the same internet provider as i have (telus) and my other friend with a different provider (Shaw) as telus users, while we are able to have others access our normal minecraft servers, others cannot connect to our ftb server while when my friend with the different internet provider is able to host the server with others able to connect. My friend who has the other internet provider is not able to host due to his computer therefore needing myself to host the server. If anyone has a solution please help! we've been searching everyday for a little while and are still unable to play on the server. -Thanks! (PS we have also tried using the exact server file that my friend with the different internet provider has used but it is still unable to work, therefore we THINK it's a portforwarding problem but we're confused on the fact that people can connect to our normal server.) - Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Are you running both the spigot server and the modded at the same time?

A

Arukuto

Are you running both the spigot server and the modded at the same time?
Nope, im just saying that like my spigot server WORKS and that people are able to connect to it therefore confused on why my ftb server doesn't work
-thanks again

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Not really sure I'm following along your info - let's straighten a few things out:

1 - port 19132 - why did you need to open that according to - what website?

2 - i can only connect using 'Localhost' - if the server is hosted on the same machine that you have your client on, then yes - localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the one you should use to connect to yourself. You should not connect via your public IP when that's the same IP you on. If you managed to do that before - that's really strange, normally that traffic isn't routed.

3 - Are others having issues connecting to you?

4 - If I misunderstood altogether - please explain what the issue is, without extra detail - just to the point.

A

Arukuto

Not really sure I'm following along your info - let's straighten a few things out:

2 - i can only connect using 'Localhost' - if the server is hosted on the same machine that you have your client on, then yes - localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the one you should use to connect to yourself. You should not connect via your public IP when that's the same IP you on. If you managed to do that before - that's really strange, normally that traffic isn't routed.

4 - If I misunderstood altogether - please explain what the issue is, without extra detail - just to the point.

Okay so 1. Port 19132 needed to be opened according to https://portforward.com/ under the game 'Minecraft' 2. I was trying to get my local ip to work and do to that, i kept on refreshing back and fourth between my localhost and public ip that were both listed. The localhost worked, the public ip did not. 3. Yes others are having issues connecting to me. By the way, i dont know if this will be any help but my friends (one on a telus router and one on a cisco router) both have tried hosting the exact same server but it seems that the cisco port forwarding might have something different that telus might not have? not sure but thanks

Last edited:
A

Arukuto

ALSO, surprisingly enough. When i try to open the server using the original minecraft server .jar thats located inside the same folder as my ftb server folder i am able to connect to the server but since it was being hosted by a normal vanilla server, mods were not on it.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
You didn't answer any of my questions - why?

ALSO, surprisingly enough. When i try to open the server using the original minecraft server .jar thats located inside the same folder as my ftb server folder i am able to connect to the server but since it was being hosted by a normal vanilla server, mods were not on it.

This isn't surprising at all, if you launch using that jar-file - then you're doing it wrong and you're just launching vanilla.

You should run ServerStart.bat (if you're on osX or Linux, then it's ServerStart.sh).

A

Arukuto

This isn't surprising at all, if you launch using that jar-file - then you're doing it wrong and you're just launching vanilla.

You should run ServerStart.bat (if you're on osX or Linux, then it's ServerStart.sh).

I thought i did answer your questions? 1. was from https://portforward.com/ 2. is like yeah i understand that and 3. is yes my friends are having difficulties connecitng.

A

Arukuto

"This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." might be the case

A

Arukuto

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.??? thats what my post from above says

A

Arukuto

anyways, ill just copy and paste what i did earlier. Okay so 1. Port 19132 needed to be opened according to portforward.com under the game 'Minecraft' 2. I was trying to get my local ip to work and do to that, i kept on refreshing back and fourth between my localhost and public ip that were both listed. The localhost worked, the public ip did not. 3. Yes others are having issues connecting to me. By the way, i dont know if this will be any help but my friends (one on a telus router and one on a cisco router) both have tried hosting the exact same server but it seems that the cisco port forwarding might have something different that telus might not have? not sure but thanks

A

Arukuto

ALSO, i am starting it from serverstart.bat, i was just using the jar as an example.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
1. Port 19132 needed to be opened according to portforward.com under the game 'Minecraft'

Can't find that anywhere - https://portforward.com/softwareguides/minecraft/portforward-minecraft.htm

2. I was trying to get my local ip to work and do to that, i kept on refreshing back and fourth between my localhost and public ip that were both listed. The localhost worked, the public ip did not.
That is as it should be, you should use your localhost (or ip on your local network) - not the public one.

By the way, i dont know if this will be any help but my friends (one on a telus router and one on a cisco router) both have tried hosting the exact same server but it seems that the cisco port forwarding might have something different that telus might not have? not sure but thanks

The people that are trying to connect to you do not need to do portforward on their end. That's only need for the one hosting the server.

Yes others are having issues connecting to me.

You can check if your server is respoding - use this: https://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/status/

ALSO, i am starting it from serverstart.bat, i was just using the jar as an example.
Not sure why you brought that up, you must have tried if you managed to launch vanilla.

If you have issues with mods launching when using ServerStart.bat - then post full log /logs/fml-server-latest.log - and use paste.feed-the-beast.com

A

Arukuto

Can't find that anywhere - https://portforward.com/softwareguides/minecraft/portforward-minecraft.htm

That is as it should be, you should use your localhost (or ip on your local network) - not the public one.

The people that are trying to connect to you do not need to do portforward on their end. That's only need for the one hosting the server.

You can check if your server is respoding - use this: https://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/status/

Not sure why you brought that up, you must have tried if you managed to launch vanilla.

If you have issues with mods launching when using ServerStart.bat - then post full log /logs/fml-server-latest.log - and use paste.feed-the-beast.com

just checked, its online. @169.688ms

A

Arukuto

paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/01460e71

A

Arukuto

Whenever i try to connect using my public IP it just says "Java.net.ConnectException: Connetion timed out: no further information:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Please try and post stuff together in 1 post - don't add new ones after one another - this isn't a chat box (and even if it was, same thing - try to be finished with what you want to say before you press send/post).

paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/01460e71
As of now I'm not going to spend time checking that, in your previous post you stated that it's online - so as you just posted the log without any more info, i'm not sure what to look for.

Whenever i try to connect using my public IP it just says "Java.net.ConnectException: Connetion timed out: no further information:

If you're the one hosting - you can't connect using your public IP - you're supposed to use:

If the server is hosted on the same machine as you play on (as the client is installed):
localhost or 127.0.0.1

If the server is hosted on a other machine on your LAN:
The IP address on the LAN to that computer

Everyone else outside your network is supposed to connect using the public IP, but not you as you're on the inside.

So to sum it up and suggestion:

1 - You're now running the server and the portforward works, as you can "see" it using dinnerbones tool that I linked you

2 - You need to connect NOT using the public IP - Please do that and verify how that works out

3 - If your friend/s/ have issues connecting to you - please state that it's the case and post the /logs/fml-server-latest.log
  • Stop server (this is to make the server create a new fresh log)
  • Start server
  • Have your friend try to connect
  • After the connection fails - stop the server
  • Copy the log and give the link here
  • Ask your friend to do the same (restart mod pack, start mod pack, try and connect - then get log)
  • Give friends client log here as well
Instructions for getting client log can be found here:
http://support.feed-the-beast.com/faq/

Instructions for both FTB launcher (marked legacy on download), and the Twitch application can be found on that FAQ-page.

X

xgritzz

What ISP do you have? I know on Verizon Actiontech routers you also have to enable ports on top of forwarding them.