Can you stack Multifarms?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Provided you don't violate minimum clearance?

So for example, I got a 15x17 wheat farm, with the 3x5x4 multi-structure in the center. Could I in theory, put another farm up over the same footprint, but a few layers above, or do farms require light to grow?

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
it depends on what your growing in the first place... nether warts done need much but trees and others need light you may want to base the lighting setup from thaumcraft

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Totally depends upon whether the crop/trees/etc.,. need light or not and how much light you have. You can always put light sources beneath each layer. For instance, you could put an entire layer of glowstone blocks/bricks/lights directly under each layer (not needed on the bottom layer, of course).

No crops that I know of need direct sunlight. In other words, any light sources would do. I believe only solar panels need direct sunlight.

As for stacking, as long as each multifarm doesn't touch the next, you're OK. Just 1 layer in between each 4-block high multifarm core would be sufficient.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Yup, been there, done that, I had 3 multifarms on top of each other in MC1.4.7 when the first Multifarms were released (I think) they worked really well, I had made it so only the top one was a tree farm, save a lot of problems of designs...

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, stacking multifarms isn't that space efficient considering each on is 4 blocks tall and requires an extra block between each farm. Unless you're keeping chunkloaders to a minimum I'd just build them side by side. If you're looking for compactness I'd go with an MFR harvester/planter or a Steve's carts farm. You can squeeze them together pretty well.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Multifarms are a lot better for production rate vs mfr farms, mfr farms require a constant supply of fertilizer, and ever there, the fertilizer goes down to zero in no time, and a lot more MJ than you can ever produce, they are the most useless things I've ever seen in my life, saw some setups in I think FTB Ultimate that looked awesome, but now the MFR farms are useless, they have been nerfed so much...

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Multifarms are a lot better for production rate vs mfr farms, mfr farms require a constant supply of fertilizer, and ever there, the fertilizer goes down to zero in no time, and a lot more MJ than you can ever produce, they are the most useless things I've ever seen in my life, saw some setups in I think FTB Ultimate that looked awesome, but now the MFR farms are useless, they have been nerfed so much...
.... Since when did MFR farms require fertilizer? I have a force tree farm (Thanks dartpatch!) that I had to shut off recently due to an extreme oversupply of wood. I was seriously considering scrapping the logs or just voiding them.

Unless that is not what you were complaining about... the power requirement is not that hideous, I have one geothermal generator powering a planter and harvester just fine. Not sure what the MJ equivalent is but it can't be more than one industrial steam engine

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Fertilizer is not a requirement, it is optional so I do not get what you are trying to say here. Source of fertiliser is also free is you have an animal farm via sewage and composter. And if you have a treefarm going on for charcoal production, MFR just paid for itself. A decent treefarm, even without fertiliser, will provide more than enough wood for you to run banks of TE3 Steam dynamos or even a 36 LP/HP Steam Boiler from Railcraft. Excess saplings can be ran through MFR's Bioreactor for biofuel which MFR's Biogenerator uses to produce 16 MJ/t.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack are you playing? Last I checked MFR farms trumped Mulitfarms in everything except aesthetics.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack are you playing? Last I checked MFR farms trumped Mulitfarms in everything except aesthetics.

I played FTB DW20 1.5.2 V1.1.3 and now on FTB DW20 1.6.4, I will test the MFR farms again, but I've never been able to make any design that would sustain themselves with MFR, the default size is supposed to be efficient but not enough to even feed the cows and provide food for myself and when you place some upgrades in it, each time you add 1 extra to the size, it makes the farm less efficient and needing more power... And if you don't have fertilizer, you're screwed, tested this multiple times in 1.5.2 pack, I always either run out of seeds, or wheat, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

And don't start me on tree farms here, a max sized version of a Harvester and a Planter fully loaded with birch or oak (tested both to be sure) isn't even enough to keep a max sized boiler hot for enough time to heat it up if you use charcoal... They did something or maybe Sengir did something to MFR via his Forestry mod so it wouldn't be sufficient for anything unless you use Fertilizer, I had a max sized Railcraft Steel tank full of sewage and 3 Fertilizer converting that to Fertilizer, and it wasn't enough to sustain a small sized 3x3 mfr farm to produce wheat for my cows (around 30 of them in a 5x5 pen with a Chronotyper to move the babies to be killed for food and mob essence, in less than 4hrs there was no fertilizer left...

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I played FTB DW20 1.5.2 V1.1.3 and now on FTB DW20 1.6.4, I will test the MFR farms again, but I've never been able to make any design that would sustain themselves with MFR, the default size is supposed to be efficient but not enough to even feed the cows and provide food for myself and when you place some upgrades in it, each time you add 1 extra to the size, it makes the farm less efficient and needing more power... And if you don't have fertilizer, you're screwed, tested this multiple times in 1.5.2 pack, I always either run out of seeds, or wheat, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

And don't start me on tree farms here, a max sized version of a Harvester and a Planter fully loaded with birch or oak (tested both to be sure) isn't even enough to keep a max sized boiler hot for enough time to heat it up if you use charcoal... They did something or maybe Sengir did something to MFR via his Forestry mod so it wouldn't be sufficient for anything unless you use Fertilizer, I had a max sized Railcraft Steel tank full of sewage and 3 Fertilizer converting that to Fertilizer, and it wasn't enough to sustain a small sized 3x3 mfr farm to produce wheat for my cows (around 30 of them in a 5x5 pen with a Chronotyper to move the babies to be killed for food and mob essence, in less than 4hrs there was no fertilizer left...
Every time I run a tree farm with MFR, I have an excess of everything, including power. Did you mess with the configs or something? And increasing the size shouldn't make it less efficient, it should make it more. If you increase the area where plants are placed, they grow faster producing more. It should make things equally efficient but increase the power input and output.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
From what I've seen, it's better to have a few small MFR treefarms rather than a large one. Smaller farms are quicker in detecting when a tree has grown.

In my previous world I had three 5x5 treefarms with fertilizer. That was enough (with some surplus) to run 14 max sized HP boilers. This was prior to the fuel nerf though.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even use a max sized tree farm, I only use the tin upgrades (9x9) for my planter with 2 harvesters. With only one harvester, it can't cope with the speed my magic tree or sakura cherry tree growinh speed.
As for wheat, there is no reason for it to not have enough seeds unless you have some light level issue which causes the plants to uproot themselves at night and causes losses that way.
For sewage wise, make sure there is no overlapping if you uses upgrade in them. If they overlap, all of them will stop working.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try some setups when I come back from Christmas vacations, but I was never ever able to supply any size of boiler with any tree farm, either we run out of wood to transform to charcoal, or I run out of power for the farm itself before even reaching the critical 100°C on the boiler... Maybe I have bad luck because most of my setup is on a server and even if the area is chunkloaded, it doesn't work properly or something like that...

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
imagine if stacked multifarms would actually connect to eachother into 1 huge multifarm :eek:

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019

Most MFR machines only use power to perform an action. So larger sizes aren't less efficient, it just has more actions to perform so it uses more power in total.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try some setups when I come back from Christmas vacations, but I was never ever able to supply any size of boiler with any tree farm, either we run out of wood to transform to charcoal, or I run out of power for the farm itself before even reaching the critical 100°C on the boiler... Maybe I have bad luck because most of my setup is on a server and even if the area is chunkloaded, it doesn't work properly or something like that...

Oi, the problems are multifold-
#1, HEATING UP THE BOILER-
You cannot just put an auto tree farm/charcoal /boiler setup in place and expect it to work. You need a BUNCH of stacks of charcoal when you are starting the boiler in the first place, and depending on it's size, it can take a LONG time, several hours, to get up to proper heat. the farm works just fine for MAINTAINING a boiler, but initial startup? not a snowball's chance in a furnace. Try creating an entire chest full of charcoal, running that to your boiler, then having your tree farm/charcoal setup run to that chest, instead of running it directly in.
#2, CHUNK LOADING-
If you cannot have a consistent chunk load, running a boiler is a total waste of time except for the very smallest size. Big boilers have to keep running ALL THE TIME in order to have any efficiency.... if you lose loaded status on a boiler for any reason, it's simply more efficient to use alternate, faster sources of energy, such creosote and charcoal from ranks of coke ovens feeding to generators, or a thermal expansion charcoal(steam dynamo/cobblegen to lava in melter/magmatic dynamo) to high energy power source.... bonus points if you are playing tech world with ender IO capacitors that can shut off the network to avoid wasting fuel if things slow down.

Boilers are truly outstanding alternatives to reactors if you need long term power, with guaranteed chunkloading, but any unstable situation and you are going to rip through your fuel in constant restarts and probably beat your head against a wall trying to keep the darned thing from wasting all your time and patience.

I don't blame you for trying, but maybe you need to practice creating MFR treefarm/boiler setups in solo creative mode before you can be truly comfortable tackling the monster on a server. Handled correctly (try using extra utilities pipes with filters?) even an iron-upgraded MFR tree farm can keep all but the largest boilers maintained comfortably... with the added bonus of a disgusting huge surplus of apples and saplings (You can even pump the saplings into the biofuel generator for an added power tweak to your network! a little stable power goes a LONG way.)

Frankly, I am rather surprised that CJ never added a 'preheat' ability to boilers, via netherrack fires under the fireboxes, heaters from other mods, or lava.

is temperature a forge variable? I would LOVE for that functionality to be added... imagine if factorization or rotarycraft heaters could help preheat fireboxes?