Can you stack Multifarms?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly, I am rather surprised that CJ never added a 'preheat' ability to boilers, via netherrack fires under the fireboxes, heaters from other mods, or lava.is temperature a forge variable? I would LOVE for that functionality to be added... imagine if factorization or rotarycraft heaters could help preheat fireboxes?
Er, he already added it. It's called the Firestone and it runs off lava source blocks.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
I was meaning cross-mod compatibility and 'traditional' methods, like netherrack-fueled fires, heaters, fire jets, and stuff :)

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Oi, the problems are multifold-
#1, HEATING UP THE BOILER-
You cannot just put an auto tree farm/charcoal /boiler setup in place and expect it to work. You need a BUNCH of stacks of charcoal when you are starting the boiler in the first place, and depending on it's size, it can take a LONG time, several hours, to get up to proper heat. the farm works just fine for MAINTAINING a boiler, but initial startup? not a snowball's chance in a furnace. Try creating an entire chest full of charcoal, running that to your boiler, then having your tree farm/charcoal setup run to that chest, instead of running it directly in.
#2, CHUNK LOADING-
If you cannot have a consistent chunk load, running a boiler is a total waste of time except for the very smallest size. Big boilers have to keep running ALL THE TIME in order to have any efficiency.... if you lose loaded status on a boiler for any reason, it's simply more efficient to use alternate, faster sources of energy, such creosote and charcoal from ranks of coke ovens feeding to generators, or a thermal expansion charcoal(steam dynamo/cobblegen to lava in melter/magmatic dynamo) to high energy power source.... bonus points if you are playing tech world with ender IO capacitors that can shut off the network to avoid wasting fuel if things slow down.

Boilers are truly outstanding alternatives to reactors if you need long term power, with guaranteed chunkloading, but any unstable situation and you are going to rip through your fuel in constant restarts and probably beat your head against a wall trying to keep the darned thing from wasting all your time and patience.

I don't blame you for trying, but maybe you need to practice creating MFR treefarm/boiler setups in solo creative mode before you can be truly comfortable tackling the monster on a server. Handled correctly (try using extra utilities pipes with filters?) even an iron-upgraded MFR tree farm can keep all but the largest boilers maintained comfortably... with the added bonus of a disgusting huge surplus of apples and saplings (You can even pump the saplings into the biofuel generator for an added power tweak to your network! a little stable power goes a LONG way.)

Frankly, I am rather surprised that CJ never added a 'preheat' ability to boilers, via netherrack fires under the fireboxes, heaters from other mods, or lava.

is temperature a forge variable? I would LOVE for that functionality to be added... imagine if factorization or rotarycraft heaters could help preheat fireboxes?

What about Ethanol-Fueled boilers. Might take a bit to warm up, but once they oil, you more or less have an endless supply of fuel. Right now, I am sitting on 200 buckets worth of fuel in a big iron tank, with enough apples to make probably another 4 or 500 buckets. I've had my farm off for days, so Lord knows I could have lots more on hand.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Check your Railcraft version.

The latest, Railcraft 8.3, completely eliminates the steep start-up fuel costs. Indeed, it is now the opposite : start-up fuel costs scale linearly with temperature, which means boiler start-up fuel consumption is only a fraction of max-temp boiler fuel consumption.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, that completely changes the dynamic. It was fun and manageable, as a valuable alternative for long term power...now? it's just another ditzy power system.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Can't say I'm a fan of that, although I'm not entirely against it. Many-a-times, I just plug and forget about the massiver start up cost aand make tree farms larger than I ever need. Guess it makes that problem a bit easier to handle.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, the issue isn't that CJ necessarily is doing things wrong. The issue is that tree farms lag people to hell in large scales.

I'm shocked that nobody has come up with an internal tree farm of sorts (a multiblock that intakes saplings and produces wood/saplings/byproducts).

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, the issue isn't that CJ necessarily is doing things wrong. The issue is that tree farms lag people to hell in large scales.

I'm shocked that nobody has come up with an internal tree farm of sorts (a multiblock that intakes saplings and produces wood/saplings/byproducts).

It would be great if mob farms should be made like that too. So there were be way less CPU consumption with a multiblock thingy "generating" the drops under certain conditions.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon