Request Can someone profound me a little bit?

BarsikDaCaT

Jul 29, 2019
I know minecraft quite well from Direwolf20's videos and I finally decided to find myself a good server (not local pirate one with terrible tickrate issues and outdated mods) with lots of mods on it, latest version of Minecraft and somewhat large community, but it turns out I have no idea how things work. I think FTB Infinity Evolved is something I'm looking for in terms of mods (though I'd like to see Force Fields and MachineMuse's Power Armor in it), but when I looked through forum I found out that promoted servers don't match current version of the modpack. Is it OK? Why there's only 1 modpack for 1.8 if 1.9 is already out? Should I thinkg about server's location when choosing one? In some games playing through the ocean is OK, but in some a ping over 100 is a problem. How's that in Minecraft?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
  • Which version are you calling the current version of the modpack? Servers might go with latest version, or the recommended version.
  • Modpacks for 1.8+ are scarce because a lot of popular mods haven't moved past 1.7.10 yet. The reasons for that can vary from dev to dev. Keep an eye on your favorite mods to see if they're planning to move to 1.8+.
  • I prefer servers on my continent, but its not such a huge deal in minecraft. I've tolerated a ping of over 500ms before when I was in the arctic. 100ms shouldn't bother you too much. That said, closer is still better.

Reactions: erindalc

BarsikDaCaT

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure
Thanks for reply.
I suppose the latest version OR the latest release version should be considered the latest one. And the servers I saw on this forum are ~6 months outdated, using 1.3/4... versions of Infinity Pack.
For the servers - I live in Far East region (which sometimes feels like Autralia), but if 100 ms is okay I thinkg European serves will do too.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
When/why were you in the arctic?
2011-2014 give or take. Good money for devs. No mortgage by the time I came back to civilization.

@Pyure
Thanks for reply.
I suppose the latest version OR the latest release version should be considered the latest one. And the servers I saw on this forum are ~6 months outdated, using 1.3/4... versions of Infinity Pack.
For the servers - I live in Far East region (which sometimes feels like Autralia), but if 100 ms is okay I thinkg European serves will do too.
Servers don't always rush to update because it means getting all the users to update too. That said I think you'll find what you're looking for with persistence.

Reactions: erindalc