Can Someone help me out here (Pipes and Furnaces...)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bhasting91

Jul 29, 2019
So what I got here is just a quick Charcoal generator. But something weird is going on with it. And I mean weird!

I've never seen this before in my life but I have the furnace set, and I have the pipes going in on the corresponding boxes such as fuel and supplies. But this completely baffles me. What's happening is the fuel is being extracted out the end instead of the finishing product. Which annoys me. I've tried ever way I can think up of and I have NO results so far. Here are some screenshots. Any help appreciated.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Please place down some torches before you take screenshots.

Also, if extracting from the side draws out fuel, maybe you're supposed to insert the fuel there. Try extracting the finished product from the bottom, while inserting fuel from the side.

Reactions: RedBoss

Bhasting91

Jul 29, 2019
Please place down some torches before you take screenshots.

Also, if extracting from the side draws out fuel, maybe you're supposed to insert the fuel there. Try extracting the finished product from the bottom, while inserting fuel from the side.
Nailed it. Thanks bud! And sorry. Didn't think anything of it about the lighting.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
The drawing sides for a vanilla furnace are designed around hoppers, which can only draw from something that is above them

So mojang have assigned both of the input slots (fuel and actual input) to sides the hopper can input to, and output from the bottom so that the hopper can pull out of a furnace.

Pretty much the rest of the modding community goes by sides as output, bottom and top as inputs (Generally) because their item transportation allows that *See below for correction*

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much the rest of the modding community goes by sides as output, bottom and top as inputs (Generally) because their item transportation allows that

No, rather because that's how vanilla worked as well, before the introduction of hoppers. The modding community just took the established standard and went with it.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
No, rather because that's how vanilla worked as well, before the introduction of hoppers. The modding community just took the established standard and went with it.
There was no standard in vanilla before the introduction of hoppers, because you couldn't automatically insert or extract items in vanilla.
It was originally done like that (in Buildcraft) because it matched the layout of the GUI slots.

Reactions: SpitefulFox