can logistics pipes request craftable items from an AE network?

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
trying to do some crazy automation for a thaumcraft setup im working on...and one of the major things holding me back is how to setup logistics pipes to request and get a craftable item from an AE network. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
This has been answered a lot of times in this forum.
Short: No.
Long: It can't due to the different approach to autocrafting in AE and LP. Whereas LP makes a plan, what to craft when, before even starting, AE simply goes on and tries to craft the item. It's impossible to for LP to build the crafting plan with crafts in AE because AE provides no methods for that.

LP uses the crafting plan to craft as many itms as possible at the same time. e.g. when you want 100 sticks and you have 40 planks, LP will immediately craft 80 sticks from those planks and at the same time craft the missing 10 planks to complete the 100 sticks.
AE crafts four sticks from two planks. Then another four, then another four and so on until there are no planks left. Then it crafts four planks from one log and starts again craftin sticks four by four.

This is why you need this stupid craftin monitor in AE to see what's missing. LP tells you exactly why it can't complete a crafting request and how many items are missing bevore even starting the process.

It's better to set up autocrafting in LP if you want to access the autocraft from both systems.

Reactions: Omegatron

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
It's better to set up autocrafting in LP if you want to access the autocraft from both systems.

my bad for not finding the relevant posts, but i did try searching and got a lot of posts that werent event relevant to the topic i was looking for. i tried. really ;)

as for lp autocrafting...you say it can access both systems? how so? I know it can access AE as a storage service. thats not the problem. the thing is this: i have a mac with several pages of recipes, interfaces tied to machines to automate smelting, pulverizing, even automated crucibles for thaumcraft, etc. is it possible to get LP access to all that? or do i really have to trash the AE system and somehow get LP to do all that work? seems a bit harsh to have to tear down all the existing work just to get around that issue.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
my bad for not finding the relevant posts, but i did try searching and got a lot of posts that werent event relevant to the topic i was looking for. i tried. really ;)

as for lp autocrafting...you say it can access both systems? how so? I know it can access AE as a storage service. thats not the problem. the thing is this: i have a mac with several pages of recipes, interfaces tied to machines to automate smelting, pulverizing, even automated crucibles for thaumcraft, etc. is it possible to get LP access to all that? or do i really have to trash the AE system and somehow get LP to do all that work? seems a bit harsh to have to tear down all the existing work just to get around that issue.
He's saying set up LP autocrafting, and then code into AE for it to craft using your LP, AE can use LP autocrafting, but LP can't use AE autocrafting

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
AE is the ultimative storing system. Fast, compact, easy to use. For all other purposes use LP - this is what I call a logistics system.
I was one like you, dazzled by the shinyness and simplicity of the MAC and the Interfaces for other devices, but if you take a deeper look into logistics, AE misses some core criterias for such a system.
- you can't make the system hold a certain stock of specific items all the time. Best thing you can achieve is 'hold at least x items' and even that only with headaches.
- you can't make the system store a certain amount of things in a specific inventory. AE always fills the target completely.
- Autocrafting is a pain in the ass. You order things and they do not get crafted. You always need to monitor the crafting monitor. And even that isn't enough as the monitor can't tell how many items it misses in total. It's damn faster to craft things manually in the crafting terminal (this one i like). And every time you change something in the network, autocrafting stops completely.
- It's impossible to handle liquids (no, I do not count extracells. This is an addon)
- AE is not able to use alternative recipes for autocrafting. E.g. use aluminium or iron for machine blocks, depending on which is available.

Believe me, it's worth changing to LP for your peripherals. Well, the items need more time to reach the external devices but you can group them and thus save time in the crafting process itself. E.g. you can smelt glass in five furnaces instead of one.

If you love multiblocks - a wall of crafting tables with attached crafting pipes is a damn cool multiblock if you ask me. And youre not required to make a big cuboid - you can arrange the crafting units like a computer center in the old days or something. Style, baby:D

Reactions: immibis and Narc

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
- Autocrafting is a pain in the ass. You order things and they do not get crafted. You always need to monitor the crafting monitor. And even that isn't enough as the monitor can't tell how many items it misses in total. It's damn faster to craft things manually in the crafting terminal (this one i like). And every time you change something in the network, autocrafting stops completely.
My experience with LP has been that auto-crafting there is *even worse* -- if LP isn't delivering what I requested, it tends to be a matter of hunting down all the crafting tables to find the one that isn't configured to use ore dictionary planks, or whatever similar goof-up occurred. There's no crafting monitor in LP that I'm aware of, and the logistics glasses are far too deep in the crafting tree to be a valid resource when you're just setting up auto-crafting for the first time (which is usually in the early game).

I will agree with the rest of your statements, though.

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
That's right. Setting up autocrafting is more complicated in LP, but once it's up it's easier to use.
LP needs no monitor, because it tells you exactly what is missing to complete the task the moment you order the autocraft. It even breaks down to the basic items like logs and so.
I never used the glasses (yes, they're too expensive) but I love the crafting sign thingie.

And honestly, nothing can replace the look of thingies buzzing and whirring around in the crafting central. That's why I often use glass floors to be able to peek down into the cellar where my crafting tables are.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
LP needs no monitor, because it tells you exactly what is missing to complete the task the moment you order the autocraft. It even breaks down to the basic items like logs and so.
Unless it *thinks* it can complete the task, but it turns out it actually can't. Which is the example I gave. And that's exactly the point where I wish I could ask the network what it thinks it's doing, or cancel its crafting jobs.

You can't blame a mod for pebkac
Like it or not, people make mistakes, especially while learning or re-learning. If a mod fails to take this into account, it's letting its players down.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Logistics Pipes from the moment Krapht put out his initial version, and I still agree that for most things actually involving logistics, it's a lot better. But there's no reason to pretend it doesn't have rough spots (for one example, I sincerely dislike the implementation of the fuzzy crafting table and pipe -- as a player, I shouldn't need to know what parts of what recipes are ore dictionary aware; that data exists in machine-readable format in-game already!).

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I looooove LP too, only reason I'm using AE in my current world is that I wanted to learn it... Ore dic for autocrafting and it's flashy thing in NEI is a disaster in general, forge needs to implement a thing where it handles ore gen and mods just activate it if installed and when processed lead is fooking lead not lead(factorisation), lead(ic2), lead(TE) etc etc etc

The 15 billion different types of ores and ingots is starting to become a real issue and beyond anything else is incredibly irritating.

Reactions: Sidorion and Narc

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Honestly, OreDict is a big improvement over nothing.

The only workaround I know is to use ComputerCraft to make AE autocraft and maintain a number of whatever it is you might want. Then those will be requestable via LP.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Honestly, OreDict is a big improvement over nothing.

The only workaround I know is to use ComputerCraft to make AE autocraft and maintain a number of whatever it is you might want. Then those will be requestable via LP.
I guess you could also use placeholder items in the network(like a book named like the item you want) and then set up a level emitter or something to detect when you remove that placeholder item which would queue the craft of the corresponding item :p
You could set it to continue crafting until you return the placeholder item, use an export bus to craft "once per redstone pulse" to craft one item per time you remove the placeholder or probably something more intricate :p

But would be extremely tedious to set up for every single item you want crafted ofc lol.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
ok. im giving lp a chance here, and im liking what i have going so far. but, as usual...something comes up.

i have a line of chests with crafting pipes set up to inject seeds for magical crops. from the chests, te itemducts pull the seeds and send them off to tesseracts under the farm planters. harvesters mow the crops, send seends and essence via tesseract back to ae storage, which is connected to lp via provider pipe to the autocrafting system. i also have a wall of lp crafting tables, each with a crafting pipe and set up to take crop essence and make the item from the essence, like 8 diamond essence -> 1 diamond.

lp network knows if i need a diamond, it should send a packet of seeds into the chests, and they get sent off to the farm to grow and get harvested. now comes the rub: the output of the farm goes back into my AE storage system (seeds and essence). now the provider pipe on the ae system should tell the lp network: hey...your diamond essence is here. but. lp doesnt act on it. so the diamond essence sits in ae storage, and the lp request for the diamond never gets fulfilled. same with the alchemical furnace feeding herba to my farm. 2 supplier pipes on it requesting leaf blocks and coal. theyre set to keep 1 stack stocked in the furnace at all times, yet at any time the furance is never completely full...it takes a while for the coal and leaf blocks to get autocrafted and sent over, and there is quite a bit of essence for coal, water and earth elements sitting in my ae system. please tell me i can keep the ae system for storage, otherwise how the hell am i supposed to store all the random stuff that doesnt get used in the meantime?

this is an on demand crafting system. the only thing that should be stored in any meaningful quantities is the seeds for the magic crops. everything else is crafted from the output of the farm. im not storing stacks of this, that and whatever in 1000+ chests. i just want the lp network to autocraft the item, just as the ae system before it did with no problems whatsoever. any help with this would be appreciated.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
The way the crafting logistics pipe works is it expects to be able to pull the result out of whatever inventory is attached. It also expects to be able to insert the ingredient(s) into its attached inventory, but because often machines have different sides for input and output, a crafting pipe can also refer to a satellite pipe to do its insertion (only the last three item slots in the crafting pipe interface are eligible for this). Unfortunately, I don't believe a crafting pipe can act as a provider pipe, so just hooking that up to an ME interface won't work unless you actually set the interface to export the diamond essence whenever it's entered the ME system.

Honestly, I'd cut out the middle man here -- have LP receive the output from the on-demand farm into some kind of chest with the crafting pipe attached to it. Use a satellite pipe to insert the seeds into the farm's planter (I think a satellite pipe can be used by any number of crafting pipes). Probably use an ender chest as the output from the harvester, so that you can connect unlimited crafting pipes to it, all of them able to pull out the item they're set to target.

...come to think of it, the ender chests could probably be replaced by ME interfaces exporting the essence, but I hear AE gets really slow if the network doesn't have the stuff an ME interface wants to export. A bug that, sadly, won't get fixed -- AlgorithmX2 is working on AE2 now. Export buses may not be similarly bugged, though, so maybe you could have those outputting to regular chests with the crafting pipes on them. Hard to say; I've always done magical crops automation as continuous production.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
ah i see. the enderchests might be the way to go then. ill have to work it out because right now, the farm is an array of 5x5 plots, 1 planter/harvester per plot..so i had the itemducts pull roundrobin to the tesseracts, so each seed 'packet' would go to a different planter. but i think i can do just the same from one ender chest on the crop itself. this is one mindbender...lp really makes you think how things should be connected.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
indeed it does. i had to take the crash course in lp in less than a day. it payed off tho, the system is now behaving quite well. the ender chests was literally the solution...now the crafting pipes respond, things get crafted, nothing is getting lost in transit..i can *almost* eliminate ae entirely if not for those really really useful me storage drives ;)

my solution was a little different tho. instead of the regular chests, i replaced them all with ender chests on the same color code. the harvesters also dump to ender chests, but on a different color code...that chest goes to 2 end points...1 on the crafting line where all the seeds are requested, i send the essence back into those chests, and the other on the ae interface, sending seeds back into storage. 1 ender chest on the farm branches out to the planters, filtering out only the seeds, leaving essence behind for the crafting pipes to pick up

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
As long as you have a provider pipe on an ME interface, LP should be able to access the entire storage capacity of an AE system. Including for any LP auto crafting you want it to do. For what you're trying to do however, I would suggest setting up a Cyclic assembler, or Auto Workbench and having LP feed the materials into that to create the leaf blocks, so there are always some available.