Calling All Infinity Players - A Community Guide

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
We all know that FTB Infinity is an enormous modpack with lots of options. Many people play what they know and follow the same path to "the end." I would like to compile information for a guide (if they don't already exist) that shows the options available to Infinity players in 3 wearable categories: Weapons, Armor, Support. For example, many people know that Awakened Draconic armor is the best in the game, but what options do people have up to that point? A lot of people know that rapiers from TiCon with lots of sharpness are very op, but how many know that mining lasers offer great ranged offensive capabilities?

What I would like everyone to do is list the the armors, weapons and support gear (think traveler's gear), what modpack they are from, and if you know what benefits that set has. Below is a few things that I commonly use to get the list started. I will compile everything into a master list later.

Armor:
Nano Bodyarmor - Industrial Craft
Naga Scale Armor - Twilight Forest - Fire Protection
Quantum Suit - Industrial Craft
Wyvern Armor - Draconic Evolution
Awakened Draconium - Draconic Evolution

Weapons:
Rapier- TiCon
Broadsword - TiCon
Mining Laser - Industrial Craft

Support:
Traveler's Gear -TiCon
Goggles of Revealing - Thaumcraft - Makes nodes visible

Reactions: RealKC

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
The Dark Steel Armor from EnderIO is great. You can also upgradeble(idk how to spell this word).
Also Crossbows from TiCon can get very op.

Reactions: Reddis

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Also the Manasteel Armor, the Elementium Armor and the Tererrasteel Armor are pretty good and they use mana from mana tablets/ring if you have them equiped. Also:
1) Elementium Armor has a chance of spawning pixies if you're attacked
2) Terrasteel Armor will slowly regen your health even if your hunger bar isn't full
3) All of them can he combined in a crafting grid with Goggle's of Revealing

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
This is good stuff! I have seen the words elementium and terrasteel on the wiki's before but had no idea it could be turned into armor! This is exactly why I wanted to make this post! It is my hope that once all of the information is compiled, we (the community) will have a very nice list of what and from where, and with what benefits.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure That was not my direct intention, but I would imagine the gear that is available in expert is the same that is available in normal... isn't it? It's just the recipes that change. To be perfectly honest, the original point of the "idea" was to find out what else I could build or use instead of the normal gear I use. The idea grew when I thought about how many other players, both novice and intermediate, likely have the same questions as I do.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure That was not my direct intention, but I would imagine the gear that is available in expert is the same that is available in normal... isn't it? It's just the recipes that change.
Yeah, the only real distinction is that in Expert mode you might be more likely to follow a progression, whereas in non-expert you can more reasonably skip some steps.

I think I rocked Sanguine stuff for most of the game, but I'm not a very equipment-oriented person. If memory serves, my sanguine kit gave me 9.5 armor (or whatever looks like I'm just missing half an armor blip). I was mostly interested in the vis perks, which were higher than anything else I could see in NEI for that era.

Bit of a tangent but its connected:
* Infusion Enchantments can be your friend.
* Osmotic Enchanter is obviously your friend
* Hoard your xp. There's a lot of so storage mechanisms in this pack, make use of them, you'll need it for various things including infusion enchantments. (but also for that draconic stuff via primal mana)

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
Armour:
Most modded metals can be crafted into armour or weapons in a pinch. Bronze is cheap and frees up iron for progressing other mods.
Most midgame sets are good when you get them, but don't invest into fully upgrading something like Dark Steel if you intend to replace it anytime soon.
Fully socketed Bound Armour is great direct defense, can be augmented with some utility and TC runic shielding
Terrasteel offers some unique endgame upgrades, those are a pain to get though
Ichorcloth Robes basically are magical Quantum Armour, and unlike most other options they don't require any maintenance/power supply once you have them
Last Stand enchantment+XP farm=practical immortality, in general properly enchanted armour is way better than non-enchantable sets once you can afford them, unless you need a specific functionality of course

Weapons:
TiCon all the way, unless you really like a specific feature from another mod (extra Ender Pearl drops, Weak Blood Shards if you can't be bothered to automate slates etc.) bronze and steel are easy to get with the default configs and in some ways better than their TiCon-only equivalent (Steel in particular was better than Alumite in just about every way last time I checked)
Most fully upgraded melee weapons are very close in damage, so it's more about costs and special perks. TiCon rapiers against armour, cutlass for extra crits (good for Terrasteel "Will of..." procs), anything else for special effects. The Awakened Ichorium Sword has an AoE attack similar to TiCon scythes, the Sword of the Zephyr, Cursed Spirit's Blade and TiCon longswords give extra mobility, Botania swords have a decently harmful ranged attack option.
For ranged attacks the Mining Laser does good damage and AoE, but wrecks the terrain. Nothing really beats an ExtraTiC crossbow (Signalum limb, Enderium or modifier-loaded bolts) in terms of raw power though.
Blood Magic spells or the Energy Bazooka are fun to use, albeit not very practical for their cost most of the time
The TC Shock focus bypasses most forms of projectile defense and can be upgraded to endgame-level damage. Amber cores regenerate vis insanely quickly and Elementium caps give a massive casting discount, second only to Ichorium
Botania's Mana Blaster makes a nice "infinite ammo" ranged weapon when it first becomes available and can be augmented to bounce off walls or pierce right through them, but sadly there's no way to increase its damage. The TTKami Shadowbeam focus offers a stronger "bouncing" weapon

If you don't like Thaumcraft enchanting EnderIO's Enchanter can produce books, BiblioCraft's printing press can copy them for xp (cheaper material cost than the Enchanter for getting higher levels, but you need a good xp farm either way) and Botania's Mana Enchanter lets you pay the obscene costs of over-enchanted gear in mana instead of xp or essentia. Make sure you get the TC addon enchantments for your weapons though, you need them to keep up with TiCon+ExtraTiC crazyness. Keep an MFR Disenchanter or some Spellbinding Cloth at hand too.

Support/Baubles:
If you really want to min-max, first of all check which effects can be gained without sacrificing a Bauble slot. ExtraUtils famously gives creative flight with no strings attached, some armours innately give fire, drowning, hunger and/or fall damage mitigation.
Tainted Blood Pendants (Botania) are good for permanent potion effects, and one relic ring combines a health boost with several immunities in a single item. The knockback nullifier can also help a lot in some fights. Don't use rings to hold mana if you have a reliable automatic production system, just bind a Mana Mirror to your main pool. All Botania baubles can be augmented with TC runic shielding (except maybe the relics, haven't tried those yet)
Thaumcraft(+addons) provides a lot of utility effects, such as another knockback nullifier, hunger management, status cleansing (removes Wither unless something changed!), full Creeper immunity and more. There's no god-item to combine them all, but if you have trouble with a specific mechanic try flicking through the Thaumonomicon if Botania doesn't have a solution
Blood Magic and Botania both have very good multi-use potions for boss fights
Before you get all the uber-endgame stuff remember there are cheap options for fast movement (TC boots, Botania sash etc.), semi-flight (jetpacks, gliders) and other combat/survival-relevant effects
And last, don't forget vanilla mechanics! Milk cleanses potion effects, Golden Apples give a ton of buffs (and are much more affordable with a modded Pigman/drop melter/laser drill gold farm) and Ender Pearls can get you out of a tight spot if you don't carry an EnderIO staff or Blink focus

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
A note for what was said above: any jetplate from SimplyJetpacks give "creative" flight and they gives a very big horizontal speed boost and I'd say they are good to keep even if you got creative flight from the Angel Ring