Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
So lets expand on the ideas of potion-powered-people performing peakidly.

Speed: Speed increases walking speed by 20% per level. If it increases your performance by 150w per level, then you can go up to 750, 900, etc, from some magically produced sugar water ("soda pop")

Strength: Gives you more muscle power in your arms/upper body. So a machine based around resistive pushing, for example, would give higher output. At 130% per level, (wow!), that's about 900W per level of potion. Suddenly we're talking serious power.

Jump boost/leaping: Improves your leg strength, enough to raise a 100 kg object another 1/2 meter per level. That sounds like a lot of increased energy.

Yea, while a person-powered engine isn't going to be much at the start, it will be once you have potion effects, or a beacon, etc.
But by the time you have potions to use chances are you're far enough to make a basic start at the engines already in place. Thus defeating the purpose of a person powered engine

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
also even with all those boosts you'd only get the output of a dc electric engine...i mean are you going to pedal power your floodlights?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Just like to point out you're talking 'Steve Strength' rather than human- someone who can carry 2034 cubic metres of gold.
Not IRL realism in the slightest, but minecraft realism would kinda fit a high torque-low speed setup.
The only problem with any player driven mechanic is its open to abuse via artificial players [activators, turtles ect], resulting in some needlessly complex additions to prevent abuse or a lower output so the abuse isn't worthwhile- in which case just use a low grade engine.

I guess the only real use for such a mechanic would be checking you've set everything correctly by manually rotating shafts, before you turn on the engines and break stuff.

Its a nice idea, but the amount of effort in integrating such a system doesn't seem to match the returns in gameplay value.

Reactions: Pyure

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Or we can make it so it's a thing you get on, like a minecart or horse. Then it's free from artificial player abuse.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
No. Those are animal-powered. I'm referring to something along the lines of bibliocraft chairs. You get on them and press the forward key.
I meant in regards to your thought of using horses. Though you're idea would also work for horses as well

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for a great response Reika. Now it's time for my counter response.

It technically can output redstone upwards, but wire cannot be placed directly on top of it. It is impossible to make it conduct "strongly" like a torch does.

Couldn't you just set the block above it to isdirectlypowered and then force a block update? I remember being able to do this in Bukkit so i'm not sure why it would be unavailable in forge.

Sliders are horrible to code and their GUIs are often unusable. Look at the Filing cabinet.

Maybe something else can be done. The page system is a user interface mess. It makes sense on a coding level since you can save 11 inventories in a table but as far as playing it in game I would much rather just use AE or Iron Chest for all my storage needs.

If you have an active lubricant supply, it will be added before the gearbox is damaged. On top of that, you can easily fill them elsewhere and then place them in place.

Case and point. As soon as you place the gearbox it becomes damaged. Perhaps a good 5 seconds of break immunity after you place a gear so I don't have to waste a gear repairing an instant 1% damage.

They have to default to something, and the speed mode will break more often on first place.

Really? I noticed that a stone gearbox on speed can handle a load that destroys steel gearboxes on torque.

"Like shafts, gearboxes are subject to material failure under excessive loads."
This is the most direct and accurate way to say this. I use load in the engineering sense. On top of that, I refer to shafts, whose limits are explicitly detailed.

I suppose this is just a case of error between the monitor and the chair.

Flywheels are not designed or intended for power storage, and there is little need for one late-game.

Flywheels are used all the time in real life for power storage. I would have assumed that was the intended purpose. I use the gold flywheels for power storage because you can chain them in a line and get a nice consistent power output without wasting when I pull the clutch off. Unlike coils you can put power into these while still getting power out of them. The only thing that makes them suck is the bug where flywheels use the torque they receive as their own causing the first flywheel in the group to stop dead in its tracks when I cut off power.

Not anymore. Wires and batteries require higher-tier materials, especially the superconductor, which requires tungsten. I am not sure if this is a v3 change.

That's good to hear.

Two 16x gears, still takes up less space than the HRG.

That is how the heater works. It consumes fuel to heat up, and then cools until it is cold enough to consume fuel again. It is not intended for precise control.
No.
No, the compactor needs 800C to make diamonds, its main purpose.

If it's not intended for precise control and it's main purpose is to make diamond with the compactor then what's the point in using it? You can easily get a stable 900C by starting a fire under the compactor in the nether

That is the friction heater.

The friction heater only seems to work on the blast and regular furnaces.

You are in the huge minority on both of these. I get incessant complaints of exact the opposite.

:/

Not even close.

Sorry that was a mistake. I mean to put 3x3 and not 4. A 2x2 would dry up almost instantly.

Give it more power and it will generate huge amounts of liquid, up to 64000 mB/t.

I'm not seeing it. A 3x3 pool of water with a pump and DC engine still produces more water than a DPA with 900,000 speed and torque. By the time the DC pump filled its reservoir, the DPA only managed to fill its to 30,000 mB. The DPA also seems to not want to work sometimes, forcing me to toggle rain before it responds.

The realism concerns have seen it ready to be modified, but nothing has been sufficient to replace it.

Is it even worth replacing? I don't think there's a single player here who actually uses the Light Bridge in a way that couldn't be done with something else.

Multiple hitboxes per block, while possible, are difficult and glitchy. As for multilevel reservoirs, that would require a total rewrite to the renderer and distribution logic, which would not only be a huge amount of work but also perform far worse.

Fair enough. I just thought it would be neat to have a giant vat for liquid storage.

The hitbox is fixed in v3, and the noise is as loud as you make it. Do not set machine volume to 20% and then complain about it being quiet. Also, the sound is of my smoke detector going off.

Okay, I should probably update to v3 next chance I get. Also, please don't talk down to me, I would not turn down the engine volume and then complain that engines are too quiet, and I didn't even touch the config for the most part. It's just that one would expect for a smoke detector to be ear-piercingly loud and travel quite a distance by default as the existing one only travels a pitiful 16 blocks before fading completely.

I want your smoke detector, that's the cutest sound I ever heard.

Liquid poison is usable in the machine, but it is only added by other mods. Use potions for "vanilla RC". Also, give it more speed, not more power. Torque increases range, which lowers apparent speed (actions per area per time).

I suppose giving it 9 million torque wasn't doing it justice.

I do check isAir(). It fixes nothing.

That sucks. Railcraft needs to fix their code then.

Two words: Prove it.
Unless you go insane and make something 50x50, I see no performance problems, and even then, only the renderer lags out, something which is unavoidable and frankly obvious.

Well i'm the kind of person who uses 30+ aurorials so of course i'm going to build a solar tower from bedrock to sky limit. :3

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Liquid Distillery: I didn't even know this existed. But if you can create 1 oil from 6 lubricant without any "real" power (DC engines use magic power) then, yeah, that's an issue.

I didn't think it had a good use either until I accidentally looked up the article for the distillery instead of the fuel enhancer. Behond:

2014-11-04_06.03.18.png
2014-11-04_06.02.10.png
2014-11-04_06.02.48.png

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
How long does this process take? Grinding canola with a steam engine is kinda slow.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty slow but because the recipe for everything is so cheap you can stack them. It's certainly a LOT faster than using steam with a grinder, but applying more power doesn't seem to increase the rate in which it processes.

I know that one distillery is enough to keep a magnetostatic running which i'm pretty sure just gave all you a collective orgasm.

Can the lubricant itself be grinded with steam/dc power as well? If so, wow.

It's lubricant. Just pump it into your devices.

As far as I understand you need steam and gearboxes to make canola properly, but with this just use DC engine and gearboxes and pump in oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Omega, you misunderstood my question. Its months since I last used RoC, so I can't recall how much power is required to make lubricant from canola.

To my recollection, you can do it all with zero "real" power (e.g you can get by with magical DC or magical steam, neither of which consume or cost anything to run)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Couldn't you just set the block above it to isdirectlypowered and then force a block update? I remember being able to do this in Bukkit so i'm not sure why it would be unavailable in forge.
No, that is not how redstone works. Blocks do not have a state of being powered or not (or any state at all, for that matter); redstone is calculated dynamically.

Maybe something else can be done. The page system is a user interface mess. It makes sense on a coding level since you can save 11 inventories in a table but as far as playing it in game I would much rather just use AE or Iron Chest for all my storage needs.
The scaleable chest is designed for when AE is not even installed. When it is, the chest is useless no matter what the GUI is.

Case and point. As soon as you place the gearbox it becomes damaged. Perhaps a good 5 seconds of break immunity after you place a gear so I don't have to waste a gear repairing an instant 1% damage.
This I can do.

Really? I noticed that a stone gearbox on speed can handle a load that destroys steel gearboxes on torque.
On what engine? All but one of the engines have a much higher speed than torque output.

Flywheels are used all the time in real life for power storage. I would have assumed that was the intended purpose. I use the gold flywheels for power storage because you can chain them in a line and get a nice consistent power output without wasting when I pull the clutch off. Unlike coils you can put power into these while still getting power out of them. The only thing that makes them suck is the bug where flywheels use the torque they receive as their own causing the first flywheel in the group to stop dead in its tracks when I cut off power.
RC flywheels are for adding a bit of stability to a power supply, for example in the case of people trying to use AC engines but thinking a 1Hz clock is sufficient.

Two 16x gears, still takes up less space than the HRG.
Vertically, yes. Linearly, no.

If it's not intended for precise control and it's main purpose is to make diamond with the compactor then what's the point in using it? You can easily get a stable 900C by starting a fire under the compactor in the nether
Which is just asking for an explosion.

The friction heater only seems to work on the blast and regular furnaces.
Untrue.

Sorry that was a mistake. I mean to put 3x3 and not 4. A 2x2 would dry up almost instantly.
A pump on minimum power generates less than 1 bucket a second. Most machines, including sprinklers, cannot operate on that.

... and travel quite a distance by default as the existing one only travels a pitiful 16 blocks before fading completely.
That is inherent in the MC sound engine.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
No, that is not how redstone works. Blocks do not have a state of being powered or not (or any state at all, for that matter); redstone is calculated dynamically.

Wow, massive respect to the Bukkit team for finding a way. In their API it was a simple as setting a block as "directly powered" and it would behave like a redstone block until it was redstone updated. You could also set a block as "indirectly powered" and it would work like a block with a redstone wire going into it. I remember playing with it back in my plugin dev days.

The scaleable chest is designed for when AE is not even installed. When it is, the chest is useless no matter what the GUI is.

Not really. AE is extremely power hungry and the relatively low power requirements of the scaleable chest make it much more worth it. There's also the added security of being able to lock it by taking out the power source which is great if you have a protected area where chest opening is allowed; a staple of any good raid server. The reason I never use it or want to use it is because it's faster to close the GUI and move your mouse slightly over to another chest than it is to move your mouse all the way to the page arrows and click the relatively small button.

This I can do.

Thank you! This saves from so much early-game frustration!

On what engine? All but one of the engines have a much higher speed than torque output.

In this case it was the AC Electric engine.

RC flywheels are for adding a bit of stability to a power supply, for example in the case of people trying to use AC engines but thinking a 1Hz clock is sufficient.

They're great for smoothing a varying input into a stable output but why limit them to that? They should be a viable power storage option of their own; even if it's more expensive than the alternatives. Short of EletriCraft, there's no alternative to the flywheel to store power at the same time as you unleash it.

Vertically, yes. Linearly, no.

If you want to cheat and use tesseracts, than yes. Most people don't build their lubricant sources under their gearboxes. If you're going to pay lubricant, and lots of it, for space saving it had better be worth it. In almost all cases the HRG would get in the way more than 2 CVTs or bedrock gearboxes.

Which is just asking for an explosion.

If you understand the heating system you will always be in 100% control since there's a temperature cap. Fire in the nether caps off at 900C and lava varies slightly based on your biome but won't destroy most of your devices if proper cooling is maintained and you're not in a desert.

I know. It's just every time I try to use the friction heater for something other than a furnace it doesn't seem to do anything so I've stopped trying.

A pump on minimum power generates less than 1 bucket a second. Most machines, including sprinklers, cannot operate on that.

It's still vastly more effective than the DPA. I'm not sure if i'm doing it wrong or if it's just broken but i'm getting terrible yields from it, even at absurd power inputs.

That is inherent in the MC sound engine.

I know this isn't true because you can set the 'volume' of a sound in the /playsound command. The 'volume' arugment determines how far the sound travels. Each value is the equivalent of 1 meter, and you can get it to travel over 10 thousand meters. You can imagine the WTFs I got when I played the ender dragon death sound at 10,000 'volume' and half speed during peak hours on this one server by using ComputerCraft and OpenPeripherals. I know in the code there's another argument that multiplies the actual sound itself, which is what I think you're referring to and have been using for your sounds.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
In this case it was the AC Electric engine.
OK, two engines.

If you want to cheat and use tesseracts, than yes. Most people don't build their lubricant sources under their gearboxes. If you're going to pay lubricant, and lots of it, for space saving it had better be worth it. In almost all cases the HRG would get in the way more than 2 CVTs or bedrock gearboxes.
Or you can run the pipes under the gearboxes.

I know this isn't true because you can set the 'volume' of a sound in the /playsound command. The 'volume' arugment determines how far the sound travels. Each value is the equivalent of 1 meter, and you can get it to travel over 10 thousand meters. You can imagine the WTFs I got when I played the ender dragon death sound at 10,000 'volume' and half speed during peak hours on this one server by using ComputerCraft and OpenPeripherals. I know in the code there's another argument that multiplies the actual sound itself, which is what I think you're referring to and have been using for your sounds.
None of the above is true. Some sounds, like the wither spawn and EnderDragon death, play at equal volume regardless of distance - something hardcoded into the sound engine - but aside from that, all sounds cut off at 16 blocks.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
None of the above is true. Some sounds, like the wither spawn and EnderDragon death, play at equal volume regardless of distance - something hardcoded into the sound engine - but aside from that, all sounds cut off at 16 blocks.
What about things like the howler alarm from Nuclear Control? That goes much farther than 16 blocks.