Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
IT LIVES!

15dax7d.png

Its got a containment problem, though...I've got a question: the poloidal magnet is currently running at double the minimum speed (512 rad/s), the charge lines on the toroid magnets were blue across the board, and they're getting plenty of coolant. I'm thinking the containment problem is due to the poloidal magnet not getting enough power...would down-shifting the output of an ElC engine running thru superconductors to an auroral battery to 8192 (or maybe 4096, to be safe) rad/s work better at containing the plasma beam?

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
IT LIVES!

15dax7d.png

Its got a containment problem, though...I've got a question: the poloidal magnet is currently running at double the minimum speed (512 rad/s), the charge lines on the toroid magnets were blue across the board, and they're getting plenty of coolant. I'm thinking the containment problem is due to the poloidal magnet not getting enough power...would down-shifting the output of an ElC engine running thru superconductors to an auroral battery to 8192 (or maybe 4096, to be safe) rad/s work better at containing the plasma beam?

Thats just a visual desync. You have no containment problem.

The central solenoid magnet ( poloidal go around the toroids, and are not present. ), needs 256r/s and 32,768nm and its a boolean: It has either enough power or not. Same with charge and coolant, so you are probably WAY over charging the toroids. It takes 2 DC engines atm. ( Charge might require a minimum of 1000 in v10 instead of a minimum of 1. )

Oh, same with the charge for the magnetic pipes. 1 DC engine covers about 15 pipes away from the vdg.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, alrighty. I'm running a lot of the setup off of...I think around 4 auroral batteries' worth of output. There's nothing wrong with overcharging, is there?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah...well, I more meant overcharging the toroid magnets and containment pipes. I've got the solenoid running just fine off an octet of microtubines (32,768Nm @ 512 rad/s). I seriously hate the freaking desync issues Minecraft's got, sometimes. Can't count the number of times I've tried to troubleshoot apparently malfunctioning machinery only to discover later that it was fine, just not synched up.

[ETA]

Well...I now have a different problem. What do I even begin to do with all this power? I could prolly run, like, 8 HP turbines off the steam I'm making, but what do I do with it? I need some kinda crazy-ass future tech, now.

Last edited:

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Aah, alrighty. I'm running a lot of the setup off of...I think around 4 auroral batteries' worth of output. There's nothing wrong with overcharging, is there?
As long as the charge on each toroid magnet is >=1 (1000 in v10) and... less than 2^31-1 probably, it'll work. You can check it with the hold-tab-for-tileentity-data thing.

In v9 you can run the toroid magnets off of 4 Van de Graaffs run by a single DC engine each, provided they're evenly spaced, and the magnetic containment pipes off 4 more DC engine'd VdGs.

If your plasma is actually escaping, it'll fly off in a straight line. I'm pretty sure every tokamak I've ever built has had a bit of random plasma leakage at some point or another (which I usually only notice by the characteristic flaming trees surrounding the reactor building), it's not really a big deal as long as you're not standing in the wrong place when it happens.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Can the angular transducer hand-held tool please report the torque as well as power and speed? (The stationary block already does, right?)

Are you able to report power in KiW instead of KW? (Is there a routine that returns log2 as a long, instead of as an int?)

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Why?

We're not computing in binary 1's and 0's. While we're computing in base 2, Reika only does this so that the coding for his machines is more performant while still abstracting to the base 10 figures that everyone who has competed first grade will be familiar with. There is none of the confusion that exists between bits and bytes of data when calculating Watts of power. Your proposal would only add unecessary confusion for people using a mod that already requires more sophisticated cognitive skills than most people are accustomed to using in Minecraft.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Aah...well, I more meant overcharging the toroid magnets and containment pipes. I've got the solenoid running just fine off an octet of microtubines (32,768Nm @ 512 rad/s). I seriously hate the freaking desync issues Minecraft's got, sometimes. Can't count the number of times I've tried to troubleshoot apparently malfunctioning machinery only to discover later that it was fine, just not synched up.

[ETA]

Well...I now have a different problem. What do I even begin to do with all this power? I could prolly run, like, 8 HP turbines off the steam I'm making, but what do I do with it? I need some kinda crazy-ass future tech, now.

17 HPTs for a 4 injector design like you have by my last check. As for using that much...well, that's the next real challenge:) Don't forget though that you can continue to pump even more speed into most machines now. They start to perform more operations per tick. Go crazy over the top, you don't need to worry about efficiency anymore.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Can the angular transducer hand-held tool please report the torque as well as power and speed? (The stationary block already does, right?)
The torque is deliberately omitted both to keep the output on one line and to not do all the math for the player. Indeed, I see any player who is unable - not uninterested, but literally unable - to perform that calculation as having failed a basic entry-requirement test.

Are you able to report power in KiW instead of KW? (Is there a routine that returns log2 as a long, instead of as an int?)
There is no such thing as a KiW, any more than you can have a kilogram of mp3, 24-karat cheese, or meter of electric charge. And the KiW/kW has nothing to do with int and long.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Why?

We're not computing in binary 1's and 0's. While we're computing in base 2, ...

There is no such thing as a KiW, any more than you can have a kilogram of mp3, 24-karat cheese, or meter of electric charge. And the KiW/kW has nothing to do with int and long.

Actually, the "Kibi-" prefix, compared to the "Kilo-" prefix, is generic. It has nothing to do with binary numbers, and you can have a Kibi-Watt.

Just as a kilowatt is 1,000 watts, a kibiwatt is 1024 watts.

16,384 watts is 16.384 KW, or 16 KiW
65,536 watts is 65.536 KW or 64 KiW.

You can convert from watts to KW by dividing by 1000.
You convert to KiW by dividng by 1024.

(Sorry, the reference to log2 was in error. For what it's worth, the log2 implementations I've used in the past were integer, and I didn't know if Java's math library had a floating point version or not).

Expressing the power requirements in KiW, and showing power levels in KiW has the benefit of eliminating fractional numbers when power is at the "full"/max level, and most machines basically seem to want that.

The torque is deliberately omitted both to keep the output on one line and to not do all the math for the player. Indeed, I see any player who is unable - not uninterested, but literally unable - to perform that calculation as having failed a basic entry-requirement test.

While playing around with a shaft junction in split mode, and steam engines, I realized that the torque level was very low, and in fact, knocked down to zero the first time around. In the process, I realized that many machines do care about their torque input, and that having that information readily available was useful.

In other words, it's not a case of "unable to", it's a case of "I don't do long division or use slide rules anymore". That's not failing a basic test, that's the reality of dirt-cheap decent calculators. You are deliberately handicapping a tool that is supposed to be used to help debug setup errors.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If it really means that much to ya, there's a debug option in DragonAPI's config that allows you to hold tab and see NBT values of various tile entities, including engines, shafts, and the like. Sides, for most machines (before you get to the insanity that is ReactorCraft), the bog-standard calculator program that comes with Windows is more than sufficient. Divide power by speed and you've got torque.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Which brings up an interesting point--going into Kibi- values shows a natural progression in values that I can easily follow without doing any math beyond the simple power/speed ratio calculation (of which I can roughly grok pretty well without touching a calculator.) Apparently Reika uses base2 too often in his values that I can use my memetic for byte values to figure out precise outputs that I need.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
Just stopping by to say that Minecraft crashed while looking into the recipes for Bedrock-dust in the new FTB Infinity Evolved version 2.2.2 + Reika Mods:

screen while crashed: http://i.imgur.com/VFuY0qw.png It seems a bedrock fletching upgrade realistically doesn't do much sense anyway. it could be that it crashed while hovering with the mouse over it.

crashlog: http://pastebin.com/cw5WFQSV

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I've a request, Reika, if you're willing. Basically, is it possible to add a Minetweaker interface for the drying bed? I ask because there's certain things I'd like to add to its abilities (like turning Mek lithium fluid into lithium dust) since its so easy to work with.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I've a request, Reika, if you're willing. Basically, is it possible to add a Minetweaker interface for the drying bed? I ask because there's certain things I'd like to add to its abilities (like turning Mek lithium fluid into lithium dust) since its so easy to work with.
Such things are planned, but currently they are entirely nonfunctional.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what happened, but my screwdriver no longer works on thermal expansion machines nor thermal dynamics pipes/ducts in v10.

-Edit- apparently it gets fixed when Tinkers' Construct is installed?

Last edited: