Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I should still be able to manage that with a single 3x3x1 breeder reactor. Plus, the little extra power I'll end up getting will be handy when I go to turn on the heat rays.

naJIa4

Jul 29, 2019
Something literally deleted the block. Like called setBlock(x,y,z, Blocks.air). This means it is another mod, and I will want to know who. Also, is your Forge setting "delete erroring TileEntities" on?
Forge setting @@removeErroringEntities=true@@removeErroringTileEntities=true@@

What i do say anymore? My English language very bad (

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Alternatively just get like 10 buckets of tritium as a starter charge like I do, and incorporate a couple neutron irradiation chambers into the tokamak itself to breed tritium.

On a technical note, it occurs to me that deuterium is a poor material to breed tritium out of on account of its small nuclear cross-section, and likely also difficulty of separation from other hydrogen. Information on the exact size of its nuclear cross section with regards to the very fast neutrons a fusion reactor produces is difficult to come by, but some brief research reveals that lithium-6 is typically used for tritium breeding rather than deuterium.

Reactorcraft already has a lithium extractor, though it isn't currently useful for anything. Given that li-6 is necessary for realistic tritium production, and li-7 is necessary for a thorium reactor because natural lithium (7.5% li-6, 92.5% li-6) contains too much li-6, a very strong neutron poison (here's a nice article by Kirk Sorensen on that subject), would it be possible to adapt the isotope centrifuge for lithium separation, change the neutron irradiation chamber to require li-6 rather than h-2 for tritium production, and whenever the thorium reactor stuff is done, change it over from natural lithium to enriched li-7?

Last edited:

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
As I pile up depleted uranium, I am wondering about other potential uses. I know you can make it into pellets, if you mix in some enriched uranium. But what about providing the option to further process it in a centrifuge, perhaps with a little return of five or ten percent enriched uranium, and gravel as a by-product.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure that would work, since Reika's going more for realism with ReactorCraft. If memory serves, the reason why UF6 processing exists in the real world is because its a solution, a liquid. The uranium atoms pull the fluorine off the hydrogen (from the HF acid) and bonds them to itself, but the liquid part of the solution remains. This makes it easier to separate out the lighter U-235 atoms from the heavier U-238 (depleted) atoms. Doing so with a dust would be...difficult, to say the least. Besides, its safe to say that the depleted uranium dust you get is effectively pure U-238 and, thus, has no appreciable amount of fissile U-235. I believe that's one of the reasons U-238 is used for breeding reactor/weapons-grade plutonium (Pu-239). U-238 is, when compared to U-235, very stable and non-fissile, allowing it to accept a neutron to form Pu-239 during breeding with the right amounts of fissile actinides.

However, I do agree that some kind of extra use for depleted uranium, maybe as ammo for a portable weapon much in the same way the military uses it and other dense, heavy metals: as armour-piercing munitions.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm not sure that would work, since Reika's going more for realism with ReactorCraft. If memory serves, the reason why UF6 processing exists in the real world is because its a solution, a liquid. The uranium atoms pull the fluorine off the hydrogen (from the HF acid) and bonds them to itself, but the liquid part of the solution remains. This makes it easier to separate out the lighter U-235 atoms from the heavier U-238 (depleted) atoms. Doing so with a dust would be...difficult, to say the least. Besides, its safe to say that the depleted uranium dust you get is effectively pure U-238 and, thus, has no appreciable amount of fissile U-235. I believe that's one of the reasons U-238 is used for breeding reactor/weapons-grade plutonium (Pu-239). U-238 is, when compared to U-235, very stable and non-fissile, allowing it to accept a neutron to form Pu-239 during breeding with the right amounts of fissile actinides.

However, I do agree that some kind of extra use for depleted uranium, maybe as ammo for a portable weapon much in the same way the military uses it and other dense, heavy metals: as armour-piercing munitions.
I believe you can already use it to make railgun rounds. Decently heavy ones, at that.

But as ammunition for a more portable weapon, or perhaps a knockback-resisting addon for armor or something? I could see that.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to remove upgrades from machines? Specifically the magnetostatic engine. I'm not producing quite as much rf as I thought, heh.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Working on the fusion reactor, and wondering two things: are the blocks inside the plasma injector structures (the 4 that go along the line of the toroid magnets) insulation or plasma injector hysteresis blocks? Also, is the structure supposed to change when its completed like the centre poloidal magnet?

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
V9
I've got some early game observations for grinding and power balance.
- 4 grinders, 4 gas engines = 4.49 operations per tick (averaged among the set, 17.95 o/s each) - 18 hsla steel (grinders only)
- 1 grinder, 4 gas engines, 3 junctions, 1 4x speed gears = 11.95 operations per tick - 21 hsla steel + 18 hsla steel, 39 total (junctions + grinder) + gear of your choice
In summary it is far better to make four separate grinders+gas engines early game. However the cost (time/material) for intentional, junction, setup is steep. Is it possible to rethink the exponential power curve for early game? The 3x ore is very, very, appealing but is sooooo slow (junctions).
Edit: wording
Edit 2:
Also the Boring machines do not emit redstone when jammed (upper levels when encountering skystone)

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's the point. Until you get to the jet fuel level (or maybe even just performance engine), you're really supposed to make a few grinders for various things, most especially lube production. You're going to need at least four by the time you reach endgame, anyways: one for netherrack, one for soul sand, one for canola, and one for making (if nothing else) coal dust to make tungsten carbide.

Multiple machines are always going to be more efficient than doing everything on a single unit. Even when you get to the 1 op/tick level, its still more efficient to have multiple machines running at that level, since you'll be doing more ops, because you have more machines. Its not the fault of Reika's design, that's just how math works. The same thing happens in Thermal Expansion and Tinkers' Construct and Mekanism and any other mod that uses machines to do work. That's where the choice comes in: do you invest more resources to spread your workload across multiple machines, or do you use more fuel to make what you've already got run faster? Again, not a problem of RotaryCraft, its a fundamental design decision every engineer has to make, at one point or another.

Reactions: LoaTBaC and desht

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Working on the fusion reactor, and wondering two things: are the blocks inside the plasma injector structures (the 4 that go along the line of the toroid magnets) insulation or plasma injector hysteresis blocks? Also, is the structure supposed to change when its completed like the centre poloidal magnet?

1) Hysteresis blocks. The thermal insulation cores are for the preheater.

2) Yes, but only a bit of the textures. I forget the name of the block, but its the 3 placed in the front, they must be placed last. As you place them, you'll see the texture changing a bit, and on the last one it will complete. The front face will be all grey with a gold rectangle.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure this is ok, but I think I should run it by Reika first anyway. I'm trying to add RC compost as a usable fertilizer in an MFR Fertalizer block through Modtweaker. No worries, right?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
1) Hysteresis blocks. The thermal insulation cores are for the preheater.

2) Yes, but only a bit of the textures. I forget the name of the block, but its the 3 placed in the front, they must be placed last. As you place them, you'll see the texture changing a bit, and on the last one it will complete. The front face will be all grey with a gold rectangle.

Ohh, that might be what I'm doing wrong, then. Thankee!

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how to add Rotary, Reactor, and Electric craft into InfiTech2 after 3.1.14? I added Reika's mods (1.7.10 V9b) into the pack during waiting for steel being cooked . The problem that after update it seems there is a problem with bees or forestry.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see some way to tell the liquid spiller to just put the water at the first air block underneath it; or, some way to restrict how far out the liquid spiller tries to place things.

Intended use case: Server with finite water, and flowing water.
Video showing what I mean.
https://t.co/RIlkc2Rqt3

(NB: I know that CCC has an option to make finite water by disabling the automatic production of new water source blocks. This is actually both finite, and downhill flowing water.)

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
As noted in the github issue tracker, the liquid spiller also causes massive client-side console spam when unloaded, and has the minor issue of a significant duping exploit. The poor thing could use some love.

Would BC floodgates work instead? I miss RP grates.