Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
One of those looks like a gear cast.
Not sure about the rest.

Liquid steel ... wonder if I can cast a golem out of that.

Aussiexenu

Jul 29, 2019
brb, need new pants.

Seriously though, looks awesome and sadly doesn't make me likely to wean myself off TiC anytime soon :p

*insert petty rant about new version not being out yet* (Serious ending: Happy to wait, cause I *know* it will be worth it).

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah. I was thinking of gear molds the other day. This will sit nicely in my Tunnel Kingdoms progression pack.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck getting that gold shaft unit to do anything, it'd be like trying to use a shaft made out of lead. Gold almost never tears, but it can bend and lose its shape very easily...which is why gold horse armour actually being good is somewhat astounding. Unless you wanted to use it to hit somebody. That, is something at which it would excel. :p

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
If anything, this is basically setting up the automation of producing various components. Considering that Tinker's Steelworks steel recipe is fundamentally the same as the HSLA Steel, one can do a simple config to make it a logical industrial process. (The fact that you don't use up much fuel if you stack the height of the TS Blast Furnace six high is a bonus, even with turning off the basic ore tripling.)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm all for more integration. I (PERSONALLY! Only myself. I'm happy for everyone that still uses TiCo!) am sad that it's for a mod that I won't be including in any of my packs simply because it's TOO good. I end up never using anything from any other mod ever, even if they're better, because the TiCo tools start out better, and I just get into the rut of using them.

Also until recently (I would assume I have Boni to thank for this reversal) the entire slime knights ecosystem stuck out like a sore thumb. It was the best alloyer for a very long time, but you couldn't extend it or anything... and steelworks kept disappearing of the face of the planet every time I wanted it. Which means new alloys may as well not have existed to it. Also those odd issues Reika was having with integration a while back, because... reasons that I'm not going to list 'cuz drama magnet.

I totally need a tool belt that lets me easily switch between like a half dozen tools of each type. Not my whole hotbar or expanded inventory, just basically a "mode" switch. So I can use my Terra Shatterer for AoE mining, and my Bedrock Pick for general mining, with a special pick for this one mod ore, maybe the old ExU destruction pick for when I don't want Cobble. Switch between an excavator and a silk touch shovel, have a precision and lumber axe... that kind of thing ya know? Not really a RoC/CrC suggestion, though I'd much prefer it in RoC to CrC... as RoC contributes to the problem, whereas CrC is less about tools and more about magic structures and personal power. More of a "Why haven't we seen this in a user-configurable (IN GAME) manner?" kind of thing.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Time to test out the Toolbox, then. I'd love it as a quality-of-life mod if it works well with most tools.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, speaking of TiCon integration, I find it strange that ExtraTiC makes TiCon-style tools made from HSLA suck balls. You might as well make a pickaxe out of fucking paper. Unless Railcraft/Mekanism steel is some kind of super steel, I fail to see why the two are so vastly different (HSLA ExtraTiC tools blow [the pick can only mine STONE], but every other steel is better than alumite) in terms of usefulness. Just seems stupid, if you ask me.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Sometime in the future, you might want to revisit this concept--I would not mind casting Tough Tool Rods as shafts if it's from an acceptable material like cobalt; three ingots per rod is an acceptable cost for a rare material like above to help defray wear & tear pre-bedrock.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Sometime in the future, you might want to revisit this concept--I would not mind casting Tough Tool Rods as shafts if it's from an acceptable material like cobalt; three ingots per rod is an acceptable cost for a rare material like above to help defray wear & tear pre-bedrock.

Few other materials match HSLA in terms of structural utility, and none of them are of comparable cost. In real life, cobalt is weaker than steel (and cobalt steel is not appreciably better than HSLA). Things like ardite, enderium, and similar do not even exist.

Actually, speaking of TiCon integration, I find it strange that ExtraTiC makes TiCon-style tools made from HSLA suck balls. You might as well make a pickaxe out of fucking paper. Unless Railcraft/Mekanism steel is some kind of super steel, I fail to see why the two are so vastly different (HSLA ExtraTiC tools blow [the pick can only mine STONE], but every other steel is better than alumite) in terms of usefulness. Just seems stupid, if you ask me.
Apparently, according to someone somewhat close with Glassmaker, the HSLA tools were added by suggestion but were severely nerfed to try and avoid a predicted drama storm.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently, according to someone somewhat close with Glassmaker, the HSLA tools were added by suggestion but were severely nerfed to try and avoid a predicted drama storm.

Doesn't even have a config to fix that oversight. I hate when drama aversion makes things utterly useless.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I hate when modders make things useless. Better to not even include them in the first place. ESPECIALLY when it's unconfigurable. Drama is no excuse

Time to test out the Toolbox, then. I'd love it as a quality-of-life mod if it works well with most tools.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2356711
That toolbox mod?

Useful, but totally not what I'm looking for. TOO "smart". I need/want something that makes it easy for ME to select what tool I'm using occasionally. Like I'm using my Bedrock Pickaxe 99% of the time, but maybe I want to manual quarry right now and so I pull out my Terra Shatterer SS, when going back over the massive tunnel I just made, I see some special mod ore that when harvested using that mod's pick can give me something I'm currently looking for. When that's done maybe I want to grab an auto-smelting TiCo pick and get some graphite from the coal vein in the wall. Maybe I want to stick all 500 wrenches into one slot, and have the ability to choose from them at will.

The key concepts are full usage (right click and everything. If I'm not pressing the keybind to activate selection mode? It should be as if the mod is not installed) , no auto-detection, user configurability IN GAME!!! (If I want this slot to switch between a sword, shovel, wand, and three kinds of "marital aid", it should be able to; I should not have to go into configs to have to do this. I don't care if it's ghost inventory, real inventory, whatever.), and hopefully a spare inventory... because with VANILLA we're running out of space. Back in alpha? 36 slots was a decent number. Now? It gets cramped... and then you add mods. I'm tempted to add InfiniteInvo to every single pack ever and backport it to every version of MC ever simply because severely limited inventory is... well honestly I think it's dumb tedium with the techniques we now have.

As for WHY "no auto-detection"?

I've had nothing but problems with well-intentioned something-or-others "balancing" n one side or other of the equation causing me to waste inordinate amounts of time, curse the inability to turn this "feature" off, and just generally make my day hell. Auto-detection for tool use is NEVER smart enough except for the very beginning of the game, and only if there's a clear progression and EVERY better tool is ALWAYS better in EVERY way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plasmasnake