Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, I like that last one, so long as it doesn't go below Y=1. It'd be kinda like a bedrock breaker, but for lube!

The Bedrock Fracker, where the output is raw lubricant components instead of bedrock dust? Magical sparkly lube particles mixed into bedrock? We must extract them!

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
Curious, would this be a MFR laser-drill type thing, where the source is essentially infinite?

The laser drills always seemed to work on the magic level. Not entirely sure how they produce ores.

Edit: wording

Last edited:

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
So has anyone else had issues with the steam engine? The typical setup with a lava source, cooling fins, and water via pump is just overheating and exploding. The engine's full of water, cooling fin oriented correctly, the whole deal. I tried it in a creative world plains biome and got the same effect. It seems to get a stable temperature with fire underneath instead of lava, so I'm wondering if there was an official change to a lower temperature heat source.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Lava is too hot for the steam engine, although you could cool the engine, it's still much much safer to just use a netherrack fire (Which I also thought was the typical setup.)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So has anyone else had issues with the steam engine? The typical setup with a lava source, cooling fins, and water via pump is just overheating and exploding. The engine's full of water, cooling fin oriented correctly, the whole deal. I tried it in a creative world plains biome and got the same effect. It seems to get a stable temperature with fire underneath instead of lava, so I'm wondering if there was an official change to a lower temperature heat source.
The cooling fins not working is a bug in v6.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
The cooling fins not working is a bug in v6.
Alright, thanks. That's what it seemed like was happening. I actually like the mechanic of using fire instead of lava for it. It seems fitting to require periodic replacement of logs or whatever under it until you get to the nether. It's only a short segment of gameplay where that's applicable (using it for a grinder), but I found it nice.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got an idea for "tier-2" production of lubricant (and maybe ethanol too) that would seem to be inline with the Rotarycraft philosophy and style and I don't think it's been brought up yet.

Coal gassification is the process of converting coal into syngas, a fuel gas mixture. The operation of one type of gassifier is detailed here with a nice diagram to boot.
This syngas can then be converted using the Fischer–Tropsch process into hydrocarbon products such as synthetic lubrication oil and synthetic fuel. The catalysts used are typically either Iron or Ruthenium with Ruthenium yielding higher molecular weight hydrocarbons. Iron is pretty self explanatory in Minecraft and Ruthenium is a platinum-group metal so platinum ingots or "shiny" ingots should be able to function as the catalyst.

In the diagram below, I've simplified both processes into two machines which are fed a variety of resources and heated in order to produce lubricant and optionally ethanol. In order to determine the output of the Fischer-Tropsch reaction chamber, you could change between iron and platinum catalyst and adjust the heat to a different temperature. Since the reaction chamber would produce liquids, the ethanol would need to be pumped into engines or into the Fluid Crystallizer. Omitting ethanol production and using only an iron catalyst would allow this system to operate with only vanilla and rotarycraft items and only the addition of syngas as a liquid. Also, with syngas being primarily hydrogen and CO, maybe it could be used as a liquid fuel for heaters? I split it up into two machines instead of one because the gassifier has quite a few inputs and it would lead to a cluttered block with pipes all around it (small multiblock tower maybe for additional in/out?). Anywho, let me know what you guys think.

m0N8HCQ.png

Last edited:

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got an idea for "tier-2" production of lubricant (and optionally ethanol) would seem to be inline with the Rotarycraft philosophy and style and I don't think it's been brought up yet.

Coal gassification is the process of converting coal into syngas, a fuel gas mixture. The operation of one type of gassifier is detailed here with a nice diagram to boot.
This syngas can then be converted using the Fischer–Tropsch process into hydrocarbon products such as synthetic lubrication oil and synthetic fuel. The catalysts used are typically either Iron or Ruthenium with Ruthenium yielding higher molecular weight hydrocarbons. Iron is pretty self explanatory in Minecraft and Ruthenium is a platinum-group metal so platinum ingots or "shiny" ingots should be able to function as the catalyst.

In the diagram below, I've simplified both processes into two machines which are fed a variety of resources and heated in order to produce lubricant and optionally ethanol. In order to determine the output of the Fischer-Tropsch reaction chamber, you could change between iron and platinum catalyst and adjust the heat to a different temperature. Since the reaction chamber would produce liquids, the ethanol would need to be pumped into engines or into the Fluid Crystallizer. Omitting ethanol production and using only an iron catalyst would allow this system to operate with only vanilla and rotarycraft items and only the addition of syngas as a liquid. Also, with syngas being primarily hydrogen and CO, maybe it could be used as a liquid fuel for heaters? I split it up into two machines instead of one because the gassifier has quite a few inputs and it would lead to a cluttered block with pipes all around it (small multiblock tower maybe for additional in/out?). Anywho, let me know what you guys think.

m0N8HCQ.png
I...I love it.. It reminds me of 1.4.7 gregtech, or factorio. I LOVE IT!!

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got an idea for "tier-2" production of lubricant (and optionally ethanol) would seem to be inline with the Rotarycraft philosophy and style and I don't think it's been brought up yet.

m0N8HCQ.png
It's very detailed and sounds legit. Using a harder or higher tier metal to get the higher tier item, ethanol, is a nice idea. And needing to run it through even another machine is nice.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
It's very detailed and sounds legit. Using a harder or higher tier metal to get the higher tier item, ethanol, is a nice idea. And needing to run it through even another machine is nice.

And of course, gating and progression could be managed through materials used in making the machines and through power consumption. I'm a wary of generating ethanol with this since ethanol is central to Rotarycraft progression and it warrants extra consideration. Maybe give the gassifier a rotary input (2MW?) to ensure you've already got non-synthetic ethanol worked out. The reaction chamber is relatively simple and I would think a heater set to the appropriate temperature under it would suffice.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I've got an idea for "tier-2" production of lubricant (and maybe ethanol too) that would seem to be inline with the Rotarycraft philosophy and style and I don't think it's been brought up yet.

This is fantastic ffburger. It's really well detailed and seems to add gameplay value. Really like it.

My only concern is that RotaryCraft (by itself) doesn't add your platinum catalyst as worldgen. But if iron is also a valid catalyst its not a big deal, and platinum can just be optional if you have EC installed (which does worldgen it)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
AH! Nether star as the lubricant catalyst and ghast tear as the ethanol catalyst? The fractionation machine already uses a ghast tear for jet fuel production and synthetic lubricant would require a higher tier of catalyst. Maybe just have iron/platinum and drop back to iron/nether star if platinum isn't present.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
AH! Nether star as the lubricant catalyst and ghast tear as the ethanol catalyst? The fractionation machine already uses a ghast tear for jet fuel production and synthetic lubricant would require a higher tier of catalyst. Maybe just have iron/platinum and drop back to iron/nether star if platinum isn't present.

I'd suggest the nether star is better than platinum. Even the EC plat has little use. I went from silver wires to superconductors, never used the plat.