Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You realize how unbalanced and techtree-destroying that would be, right? I already blacklisted all the fluids from MystCraft, so even if someone does add a block, it will not generate them.
I disagree for the lubricant. Lubricant is a non-critical element for tech tree progression. All it really does below reactor-level technology is to ensure that specific machines don't run without a maintenance cost. On that level, the quantities you need are easy enough to come by, it's the logistics that cause the hassle. Meanwhile, at reactor level even an ocean of lubricant won't help you much since you'd need to move the pump every hour or so.

This is one of those cases where I'd rule in favor of mod synergy, as well as in other cases where you have a large non-renewable source of a liquid but you need so much of it that it's pointless. For that reason, lava pumped from the Nether is not a feasible power source for the late game.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Except (if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong) Reika doesn't balance RoC on quantity. The logistics of working it out is the balance.
Exactly this is the point. Pumping lubricant from a Mystcraft/RFtools dimension is not much less complex than setting up a canola farm and grinding up its output. Over time, the logistics of distribution - where the ocean of the stuff won't help you - causes 95% of the actual work caused by the need for lubricant, except late in the game with reactors, where quantity is so much of an issue that even an ocean of the stuff won't be much help, since it's still a locally limited resource, unlike a farm.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Exactly this is the point. Pumping lubricant from a Mystcraft/RFtools dimension is not more complex than setting up a canola farm. The logistics of distribution - where the ocean of the stuff won't help you - is 95% of the actual work caused by the need for lubricant, except late in the game with reactors, where quantity is so much of an issue that even an ocean of the stuff won't be much help, since it's still a locally limited resource, unlike a farm.
Yeah. I'd say you're a bit wrong that its not a tech progression item, but since its essentially an entry gate item, the difference between farming it and milking it from another source is totally irrelevant.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know, I just had an idea that at least sounds pretty cool: heat conductors. Let's say you, somehow, have automated multiple blast furnaces to produce various things (HSLA, spring steel, coke, etc), but heating for the advanced things like bedrock ingots could be a potential pain in the ass, especially if you're working with limited space. My idea is to have cables, for lack of a better term, that would transfer heat from a heat-conducting block to various things like blast furnaces and/or fermenters, with optional heat controllers on the endpoints. This would allow you to use things like friction heaters and such to heat multiple things at once, whilst obeying the principle of convection, kinda like reactor blocks from ReactorCraft. Of course, they'd have a maximum temperature, and the longer the train of heat conductors is, the more heat you'll need to increase the temperature at a given endpoint. That way, you'd need more power to get something up to operating temperature than if it were being heated directly, but you have the advantage of being able to heat multiple things at once. The heat lines would also have their own maximum temperature before melting, as well as the conductors themselves.

I think it'd be handy if you want to, say, heat multiple fermenters and/or blast furnaces in a cold environment while still taking up a side (that would otherwise be used for automation) as well as resources, time, and power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ya know, I just had an idea that at least sounds pretty cool: heat conductors. Let's say you, somehow, have automated multiple blast furnaces to produce various things (HSLA, spring steel, coke, etc), but heating for the advanced things like bedrock ingots could be a potential pain in the ass, especially if you're working with limited space. My idea is to have cables, for lack of a better term, that would transfer heat from a heat-conducting block to various things like blast furnaces and/or fermenters, with optional heat controllers on the endpoints. This would allow you to use things like friction heaters and such to heat multiple things at once, whilst obeying the principle of convection, kinda like reactor blocks from ReactorCraft. Of course, they'd have a maximum temperature, and the longer the train of heat conductors is, the more heat you'll need to increase the temperature at a given endpoint. That way, you'd need more power to get something up to operating temperature than if it were being heated directly, but you have the advantage of being able to heat multiple things at once. The heat lines would also have their own maximum temperature before melting, as well as the conductors themselves.

I think it'd be handy if you want to, say, heat multiple fermenters and/or blast furnaces in a cold environment while still taking up a side (that would otherwise be used for automation) as well as resources, time, and power.
I'd be a bit surprised if you couldn't already do this via a hot liquid in reika's liquid pipes.

I could be wrong but I imagine the best way to transfer heat is through liquid (pipes) rather than metal (cables)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be a bit surprised if you couldn't already do this via a hot liquid in reika's liquid pipes.

I could be wrong but I imagine the best way to transfer heat is through liquid (pipes) rather than metal (cables)

I think the pipes have a temperature, and since most of his block implement temperature too, I wonder if hot pipes already transfer to blocks?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

That's...actually a really cool idea. Piping various hot liquids about could raise the temperature of machines they're touching. Thinking on it, that'd actually be a fair secondary use for hot reactor fluids like CO2. Or, hell, pipe pyrotheum about to really kick things into high gear.

Actually, that brings up a question: could I potentially use blazing pyrotheum to heat a blast furnace instead of lava? If memory serves, its hotter than lava, and would provide more heat; maybe not getting up to bedrock (I keep wanting to call it blackrock, for some reason) temperatures, but maybe around 800C above ambient from a pair of source blocks. The extra cost would outweigh the extra horsepower, since you've got to melt down pyrotheum dust (which itself requires a fair amount of resource investment) and bucket it in a transposer to get it in useable form. It'd be really handy for folks that are living in colder climes than usual to passively heat their blast furnaces.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That's...actually a really cool idea. Piping various hot liquids about could raise the temperature of machines they're touching. Thinking on it, that'd actually be a fair secondary use for hot reactor fluids like CO2. Or, hell, pipe pyrotheum about to really kick things into high gear.

Actually, that brings up a question: could I potentially use blazing pyrotheum to heat a blast furnace instead of lava? If memory serves, its hotter than lava, and would provide more heat; maybe not getting up to bedrock (I keep wanting to call it blackrock, for some reason) temperatures, but maybe around 800C above ambient from a pair of source blocks. The extra cost would outweigh the extra horsepower, since you've got to melt down pyrotheum dust (which itself requires a fair amount of resource investment) and bucket it in a transposer to get it in useable form. It'd be really handy for folks that are living in colder climes than usual to passively heat their blast furnaces.
Yeah.

Bear in mind though that thermodynamics will take its toll here. Hypothetically speaking, if you start with 800C at the source, every block the fluid travels should subtract some heat. That includes air-blocks but also blocks that are explicitly connected to draw heat away at a decent rate, so you shouldn't have 800C at the end of the line anymore.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
It can be extrapolated from its level away from source + heat sinks, basically.

Cryotheium can be done this way, too... by why would you want to? :)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah.

Bear in mind though that thermodynamics will take its toll here. Hypothetically speaking, if you start with 800C at the source, every block the fluid travels should subtract some heat. That includes air-blocks but also blocks that are explicitly connected to draw heat away at a decent rate, so you shouldn't have 800C at the end of the line anymore.

Aye, that's what I was thinking. Each fluid would have a minimum temperature, though, since otherwise, they'd logically become a solid (ie: lava would become stone/obsidian).

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know if Steves Factory Manager works to automate RoC blocks?

I've been trying to automate the fermenter with ender io conduits pushing and pulling things in with little success when producing sludge.

Azdule

Jul 29, 2019
You can do it with enderio but it's side dependant. Not on my pc atm so can't say which side for what. I wanna say right side for export, top for input?

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
You can do it with enderio but it's side dependant. Not on my pc atm so can't say which side for what. I wanna say right side for export, top for input?
I tried like all the sides because I was trying to import the saplings and yeast but it wasn't working.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No, because if it was hotter, it will start to push into temperature ranges that make other items, especially in hotter biomes and/or at lower elevations.

This is an interesting idea I kind of like, but I do not see a good way to implement it, nor would you have the space to build it in a fully automated setup.

Exactly this is the point. Pumping lubricant from a Mystcraft/RFtools dimension is not much less complex than setting up a canola farm and grinding up its output. Over time, the logistics of distribution - where the ocean of the stuff won't help you - causes 95% of the actual work caused by the need for lubricant, except late in the game with reactors, where quantity is so much of an issue that even an ocean of the stuff won't be much help, since it's still a locally limited resource, unlike a farm.
As was said correctly by @Celestialphoenix on the last page, the difference is that the farm and infrastructure required for rapid and/or mass lubricant production is much more involved than making MystCraft ages.

Does anyone know if Steves Factory Manager works to automate RoC blocks?

I've been trying to automate the fermenter with ender io conduits pushing and pulling things in with little success when producing sludge.
Yes.

Azdule

Jul 29, 2019
Did you have the conduit on Redstone active? Remember the leaver on it will interact with the conduits

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Did you have the conduit on Redstone active? Remember the leaver on it will interact with the conduits
I always click the button once, but now that I realize it, the redstone signal may have transmitted through the block and turned the conduits off.

Well if that's it then thank you.

Azdule

Jul 29, 2019
It maybe that...the only reason I know about it is because I did it yesterday and encountered that problem. :) Took me longer than I care to admit to to realise why it was writing sometimes and not others

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
It maybe that...the only reason I know about it is because I did it yesterday and encountered that problem. :) Took me longer than I care to admit to to realise why it was writing sometimes and not others
I had it working to extract sugar and dirt from a chest, and I tried to do that with saplings and yeast and it wouldn't. O well more testing! I didn't know if it purposely wasn't suppose to be automated or anything. Never mind though.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As was said correctly by @Celestialphoenix on the last page, the difference is that the farm and infrastructure required for rapid and/or mass lubricant production is much more involved than making MystCraft ages.
And this is completely irrelevant at the time when you need such quantities, since the amount you need, for instance for reactors, makes sure an ocean of locally limited lubricant doesn't help you much, except in the very short term. Also, fast mass production requires the use of other mods to speed things up. I call this a double-standard - to prevent mod synergy on one hand and requiring it where it suits you on the other.