Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds correct.

Yeah those are the ones, I could have saved myself the trouble by paying closer attention to the log because it specifically states fastcraft doesnt like them. But unfortunately your mods lag my computer so bad that I cant play them. Which is a real shame because they look so interesting.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well whenever I make a new pack for myself, I generate a new world and fly around to make sure everything is OK. So I did that yesterday and it was unplayable. usually freshly created worlds run extremely smooth for me. So I removed your mods and tried again. And everything is fine. I do have a lot of other mods installed so Im not blaming you.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft does nothing to worldgen, right?

ReactorCraft just uses standard oregen calls, right?

ChromaticCraft? What's it's effect on worldgen?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft does nothing to worldgen, right?

ReactorCraft just uses standard oregen calls, right?

ChromaticCraft? What's it's effect on worldgen?

I suspect its the latter. I should experiment by adding the other non-reika mods one by one. if only the damn game didnt take so long to load. Not like I have anything better to do.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I removed a bunch of mods yet the lag persists. Paid close attention, even while standing still memory usage rises to 92 percent, game freezes for a couple seconds and repeats every 30 seconds. I have 3gb allocated.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I removed a bunch of mods yet the lag persists. Paid close attention, even while standing still memory usage rises to 92 percent, game freezes for a couple seconds and repeats every 30 seconds. I have 3gb allocated.

Do you have a mod list you can provide? I dropped RoC and ReC into Infinity with no lag issues, so I'm curious as to what's going on.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a mod list you can provide? I dropped RoC and ReC into Infinity with no lag issues, so I'm curious as to what's going on.

Sure. I pared down my modlist to the bare bones to help narrow things down:
SWiETQp.jpg

The lag is pretty much gone with so few mods, capping at 75 percent but I noticed another odd issue:
fs87YAq.png

A grid of bricks in the sky going on forever...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Sure. I pared down my modlist to the bare bones to help narrow things down:
SWiETQp.jpg

The lag is pretty much gone with so few mods, capping at 75 percent but I noticed another odd issue:
fs87YAq.png

A grid of bricks in the sky going on forever...

I think the only mods you have that I don't are Optifine, liteloader (not even sure what that is), and Thermal Smeltery. I'd try knocking those out to see if that improves it any.

On the topic of the bricks, I have no idea what would cause that, but I'm mildly amused by that. That is one of the most random issues I've ever seen in MC.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only mods you have that I don't are Optifine, liteloader (not even sure what that is), and Thermal Smeltery. I'd try knocking those out to see if that improves it any.

On the topic of the bricks, I have no idea what would cause that, but I'm mildly amused by that. That is one of the most random issues I've ever seen in MC.

Yes quite random indeed. Oh and liteloader is required for voxelmap to function. Anyway I tested a few more worlds with less and less mods until finally only dragonAPI and CC remained and...

♪Bricks in the sky forever baybeh♪

Guess I posted this in the wrong reika thread...I have no luck at all with his mods, they hate me...now I gotta redo all of my control configs, I always forget removing mods resets them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
That's the garbage collector.

Try this:
Code:
-Dfastcraft.debug.fwel -Xms1080m -Xmx3300m -XX:MaxPermSize=250m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=25 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=22 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=80 -XX:-CMSPrecleaningEnabled -XX:NewSize=800m -XX:MaxNewSize=800m -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=4 -XX:+PrintCommandLineFlags -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC -XX:+PrintGCDetails -Xloggc:GC.log -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps

No guarantees, I don't use ChrC yet, and you may need some tuning. But this works really well for me. The goal here is to keep stuff in eden for 30 seconds before promoting to tenured, and to prevent premature promotion because survivor filled up.

Key tunings are SurvivorRatio (bigger makes eden smaller and survivor bigger, I use 3 for client and 5 for server), and MaxTenuringThreshold (if eden is smaller, there will be more minor collections, and you want to make this bigger). The goal is to keep stuff in tenured for 30 seconds before promotion.

Tested with J7.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
That's the garbage collector.

Try this:
Code:
-Dfastcraft.debug.fwel -Xms1080m -Xmx3300m -XX:MaxPermSize=250m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=25 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=22 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=80 -XX:-CMSPrecleaningEnabled -XX:NewSize=800m -XX:MaxNewSize=800m -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=4 -XX:+PrintCommandLineFlags -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC -XX:+PrintGCDetails -Xloggc:GC.log -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps

No guarantees, I don't use ChrC yet, and you may need some tuning. But this works really well for me. The goal here is to keep stuff in eden for 30 seconds before promoting to tenured, and to prevent premature promotion because survivor filled up.

Key tunings are SurvivorRatio (bigger makes eden smaller and survivor bigger, I use 3 for client and 5 for server), and MaxTenuringThreshold (if eden is smaller, there will be more minor collections, and you want to make this bigger). The goal is to keep stuff in tenured for 30 seconds before promotion.

Tested with J7.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Still doesnt explain the floating bricks though.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The floating bricks are markers for retrogen (which is only partially implemented and completely broken) and that is the cause of your lag. It is disabled by default; why did you enable it?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
The floating bricks are markers for retrogen (which is only partially implemented and completely broken) and that is the cause of your lag. It is disabled by default; why did you enable it?

Oh, I see. That makes sense. Its enabled because I was going to use a pre-generated custom map for my next world. That probably accounts for the lag as well.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Its enabled because I was going to use a pre-generated custom map for my next world. That probably accounts for the lag as well.
Yes. For some reason - this is one of the broken things about it - it runs the world generators several times per chunk (for some chunks; others are ignored entirely). This is obviously unperformant. You also have significant world damage, what with some chunks with like 9 pylons in them and several chunks with messes of trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. For some reason - this is one of the broken things about it - it runs the world generators several times per chunk (for some chunks; others are ignored entirely). This is obviously unperformant. You also have significant world damage, what with some chunks with like 9 pylons in them and several chunks with messes of trees.

I noticed pylons grouped together, seemed strange. Good thing it was just test worlds.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
@epidemia78 So sorry I didn't respond last night when the post popped up in my notifications. I've seen the retrogen issue before, it IS rather distinctive :)

It's one of the major reasons I don't make long-term worlds without Reika's mods in the pack if I expect I'm going to want them in. I also wait for major versions before doing so, simply so that I'm less likely to have a worldgen change, especially in CrC; not that I'm saying there WILL be changes to worldgen in ANY of the mods, but if there are, they'd come in a major version release, so I plan for it. I'm not kidding when I say "long term", I expect to play long-term worlds for half a year or more.

Liteloader is a lot like FML, except lighter. They co-exist just fine, and a lot of mods that only affect the client can be made in LiteLoader.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
@epidemia78 So sorry I didn't respond last night when the post popped up in my notifications. I've seen the retrogen issue before, it IS rather distinctive :)

It's one of the major reasons I don't make long-term worlds without Reika's mods in the pack if I expect I'm going to want them in. I also wait for major versions before doing so, simply so that I'm less likely to have a worldgen change, especially in CrC; not that I'm saying there WILL be changes to worldgen in ANY of the mods, but if there are, they'd come in a major version release, so I plan for it. I'm not kidding when I say "long term", I expect to play long-term worlds for half a year or more.

Liteloader is a lot like FML, except lighter. They co-exist just fine, and a lot of mods that only affect the client can be made in LiteLoader.

Yeah I have big plans for this next world hence the custom map (Eldaria). Since I cant get pylons to generate there, I suppose I wont be using Chromaticraft this time. Too bad because linking them over the vast eldaria landmasses played right into my plans of doing the same with roads, rails and powerlines.