Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
A hydro is made from steel, right? And steel can take lava without melting, right?

I know! We'll put cooling fans on the fan-like paddles :)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
So far the best liquid I've found is resonant ender at four times the density of water, cryotheum is equal but it has the issue of creating snow everywhere. Glue from TiC is actually even better at six times the density of water but it has the behaviour of spreading out when placed like liquid death so I haven't figured out how to make it usable here.

Hmm, can a fluid form of tar be added perhaps? Rotarycraft already has tar after all so it could be interesting as a super dense, super viscous liquid. Although it might require being built in a desert or something to keep it able to flow, not sure really as it's just a spur of the moment idea.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So far the best liquid I've found is resonant ender at four times the density of water, cryotheum is equal but it has the issue of creating snow everywhere. Glue from TiC is actually even better at six times the density of water but it has the behaviour of spreading out when placed like liquid death so I haven't figured out how to make it usable here.

Hmm, can a fluid form of tar be added perhaps? Rotarycraft already has tar after all so it could be interesting as a super dense, super viscous liquid. Although it might require being built in a desert or something to keep it able to flow, not sure really as it's just a spur of the moment idea.
I am going to take fluid viscosity into account. :D

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to take fluid viscosity into account. :D
So we'd need like high density low viscosity fluids for optimal return? Makes things trickier as generally viscosity is greater then or equal to density, cryotheum/ender is one of the liquids where it's not at only x3 the viscosity of water to go with their x4 density. I wonder how horrible that would make flux goo with a density 125x lower then water but 6x it's viscosity. Maybe cultivate fluid from jurassicraft? It only has the same density as water but seems to have a viscosity of 1 for some reason, not sure of how to get it though as I've never really used the mod, just looking through my NEI dump.

DaytonV

Jul 29, 2019
*evil grin*

Also, v7b is out.

Yay, v7!

I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting/config, or if something went south on me. Just updated dragonapi, rotary, reactor, and electricraft, geostrata, and expanded redstone in the mods folder, launched, and I'm getting the red and green input/output boxes showing on all the rotary and electricraft machines I've got. Also, all the animations appear to have stopped (although the dynomometer is updating) but the machines seem to be working. New machines placed have the same boxes. Since everything loaded, and it seems to be a cosmetic issue, not sure what logs would have what info. Let me know and I can certainly grab them.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/KhJlWcT

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Boo. I loaded up my world with v7a, the saw v7b out and tried to load that, and I get a crash that references Reactorcraft. V7a worked fine. Should I post the crash log here, or is there a better place for it?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Boo. I loaded up my world with v7a, the saw v7b out and tried to load that, and I get a crash that references Reactorcraft. V7a worked fine. Should I post the crash log here, or is there a better place for it?
Update Gendustry or wait for v7c.

Yay, v7!

I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting/config, or if something went south on me. Just updated dragonapi, rotary, reactor, and electricraft, geostrata, and expanded redstone in the mods folder, launched, and I'm getting the red and green input/output boxes showing on all the rotary and electricraft machines I've got. Also, all the animations appear to have stopped (although the dynomometer is updating) but the machines seem to be working. New machines placed have the same boxes. Since everything loaded, and it seems to be a cosmetic issue, not sure what logs would have what info. Let me know and I can certainly grab them.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/KhJlWcT
Are both client and server v7?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you power a hydro with lava... Iron aparently has a higher melting point then steel aparently. Then again it depends on the kind of steel.
Aparently lava gets to around 700-1200 degrees centigrade. Steel melts at around 1300. You are cutting it close. Either way even if the steel isn't meting doesn't mean it's still gonna have the torsion strength. Metals tend to get more ductile the closer they get to their melting point.
Plus what ever lube in the wheel's reservoir would likely vaporize probably exploding. Maybe catch fire if canola oil is flammable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I have it on good authority (read: personal experience and lack of skill at cooking) that it is.
And canola oils flash point is apparently around 325ºc depending on how refined it is(the less impurities the more heat it can take). I assume lube in this mod is as refined as you can get right? Like the grinder has a built in filter?

Actually a suggestion. Make it so you can use canola husks or a resource crafted from it in your feeder to feed sheep, cows and maybe pigs. I work for an agribusiness and I know industrial feed companies sell that shit by the tonne. Its also awkward seeing an invoice for 2 tonnes of "greenland rape" for the first time... Yea Canola is also known as Rapeseed...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
And canola oils flash point is apparently around 325ºc depending on how refined it is(the less impurities the more heat it can take). I assume lube in this mod is as refined as you can get right? Like the grinder has a built in filter?
You wish. :p

Actually a suggestion. Make it so you can use canola husks or a resource crafted from it in your feeder to feed sheep, cows and maybe pigs. I work for an agribusiness and I know industrial feed companies sell that shit by the tonne.
This is an interesting idea I am not against, but I am not sure it is possible to add new foods.....well, I can add it to the autobreeder...

Its also awkward seeing an invoice for 2 tonnes of "greenland rape" for the first time... Yea Canola is also known as Rapeseed...
Which is why I went with Canola (the dietary variant) instead. :p

I do not need another repeat of this or this...

MS Paint said:
Yeah, calling the refined "lube" in rotarycraft "astroglide" is kinda weird though.

Glory of Arioch said:
It doesn't, yet, but the inclusion of Lube as a liquid that you carry around in buckets sets the furry level to "Guarded." There might be some Better Than Wolves compatibility in there that we don't know about.

That coming from a guy whose avatar is a comic person licking an ass...

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's SA. What do you expect? I actually rank SA lower than 4chan, personally. I can read 4chan threads for hours and not feel like non-total genocide is a good thing. I have yet to be linked to a SA thread that cannot engender that feeling in under 20 (meaningful) posts. It's like they're intolerance concentrated and then personified.

Seeing a certain mod dev on there didn't surprise me one bit. Seeing at least two others did though. None of them were you Reika, I don't know if you've ever posted there and frankly don't care. The four devs I saw were ErogenousBeef, Jadedcat, Shukaro, and KingLemming. Not going to confirm who I put where.

Incidentally, now that 7b is out I need to go check and see (again) if there's a way to generate hives so I can utilize more hive/common/base bees so I can replicate ExtraBees' species variety without having to include the rest of the stuff that as far as I can tell nobody uses, and also (most importantly) quit being shackled to a mod that I would nominate for "worst updater in Modded Minecraft"... RedPower doesn't count, it doesn't update ever anymore :p

I could also probably do it via the more esoteric bee breeding methods (block-under-apiary), but I've never really liked that as an option.

Also it is possible to add new food-foods. As for adding new breeding-foods... I have the sinking suspicion that it's defined in the mob somewhere, which means you COULD but it'd be more trouble than it was worth. Also it would almost certainly work in the auto-breeder and nothing else other than manual because a lot of methods hard-code the usable breeding materials.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
So I've just tested the newest version with the new hydrokinetic formula including viscosity and density, density is basically irrelevant and viscosity is absolutely critical. This is because density only affects torque which is also affected by the square of the viscosity so viscosity is still dominate there, to be precise speed seems to have the higher height requirement and thus render density useless when density is less then 128, as pretty much every fluid has a density higher than that this makes density of fluids irrelevant in 99.9% of cases. The way this works also makes any fluid with a viscosity lower then water very good, however they're really rare unfortunately. Given the pack I'm playing which is Revolution the best two fluids I know are definitely obtainable are liquid chroma followed by water, jurassicraft cultivate would tie with chroma and galacticraft fuel would come in between them and water but I'm not sure how to actually place those. Water takes a mere 14 block fall to achieve max power, liquid chroma however will produce max power with the very minimum 3 block fall, galacticraft fuel would take 11 blocks for reference. The basic formula currently for height required assuming density >= 128 is 13.04*(density of fluid/density of water)^2, chroma has a density of 300 or 0.3x water so it needs a 1.17 block fall, galacticraft has 0.9x water so it needs a 10.56 block fall, honey has a viscosity 73.6x that of water so it needs a 70,600 block fall.

So yeah, you may want to rebalance things a tad Reika as currently that seems a bit off for your balance, and not just because water is so much better than before.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So I've just tested the newest version with the new hydrokinetic formula including viscosity and density, density is basically irrelevant and viscosity is absolutely critical. This is because density only affects torque which is also affected by the square of the viscosity so viscosity is still dominate there, to be precise speed seems to have the higher height requirement and thus render density useless when density is less then 128, as pretty much every fluid has a density higher than that this makes density of fluids irrelevant in 99.9% of cases. The way this works also makes any fluid with a viscosity lower then water very good, however they're really rare unfortunately. Given the pack I'm playing which is Revolution the best two fluids I know are definitely obtainable are liquid chroma followed by water, jurassicraft cultivate would tie with chroma and galacticraft fuel would come in between them and water but I'm not sure how to actually place those. Water takes a mere 14 block fall to achieve max power, liquid chroma however will produce max power with the very minimum 3 block fall, galacticraft fuel would take 11 blocks for reference. The basic formula currently for height required assuming density >= 128 is 13.04*(density of fluid/density of water)^2, chroma has a density of 300 or 0.3x water so it needs a 1.17 block fall, galacticraft has 0.9x water so it needs a 10.56 block fall, honey has a viscosity 73.6x that of water so it needs a 70,600 block fall.

So yeah, you may want to rebalance things a tad Reika as currently that seems a bit off for your balance, and not just because water is so much better than before.
Wait....water only needs 14 blocks now?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Wait....water only needs 14 blocks now?
13.04 blocks to be more precise so yeah, 14 when rounding up. There is the aforementioned issue with density of 128 or more making torque easier to achieve then speed so water with it's density of 1000. That formula I provided was correct, although I'm not entirely sure where you measure the dy from as I didn't investigate that bit it just needs to be 14 to achieve max power. The speed is 2x the fall speed after all, as viscosity of water is 1000 it cancels out so that speed of the engine is 2sqrt(19.62dy), as it maxes at a mere 32 rad/s you just need dy to be (32/2)^2/19.62 which is 13.04.

On a different note the engines don't seem to be chaining, a row of hydrokinetics in a row don't seem to be adding torque/power.

Three pictures for you to help demonstrate it, that is the minimum height needed for full power by the way, moving it one block lower lowers it to about 507kW.

2015-07-10_13.05.00.png
2015-07-10_13.05.26.png
2015-07-10_13.05.44.png