Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Say, will the cross-dimensional transfer of shaft power work with Mekanism's teleporters? They create their own little portal blocks inside their frames, and it'd be cool if they worked for transporting shaft power. I ask instead of testing because I'm at school and don't have enough time to test it for the next several hours.
No, you need a world rift.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
No, you need a world rift.
ChromatiCraft, I take it? I mostly ask because Aroma1997's Dimensional World is basically a flat, eternal day age and would be ideal for a solar power plant. I suppose I could make an industrial coil (I have a tier 2 one in my AE system) and store the energy inside it for later use...hrm.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, would you mind sharing the breakage calculation for spring coils? Both steel and bedrock?

Edit: in any case, ravynous, an industrial coil keeps its charge when broken even, i believe, if not broken by a player. I dont know if it will be able to output if placed and given redstone, but its worth a shot. At the very least, you could set up a system to automatically break and replace full coils in a charging location, so you could store many charged coils rather then one. It would also have built-in safety shut off when it runs out of empty coils.

By the way, if coils dont remember their output speed and torque, is there a reason for that Reika?

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, 240 TJ (or whatever the bedrock coil's limit is) is a LOT of energy. I could prolly make a second one just in case and set up a multi-directional clutch to charge the secondary coil while the primary one discharges to a safe level.

Reactions: abculatter_2

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, would you mind sharing the breakage calculation for spring coils? Both steel and bedrock?

If you're referring to the chance of breaking a wind spring, it's percent break chance = charge/65536 * 0.05 every time the charge is incremented. His source code is available on github. Relevant file. Calculating the chance of a spring breaking during charging to a certain value can be calculated here by changing the from x= and to x= values to suit your needs. The example is charging from 0 kJ to 10,000 kJ yielding a 38.147% chance of the spring breaking sometime during the winding process.

As far as I know, the bedrock wind spring doesn't break and the industrial coils explode when charged past their capacity so none of those require calculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: abculatter_2

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Can you add a config option that becomes available while Industrialcraft 2 is installed that allows you to lower the amount of Blaze powder that is produced from a Blaze Rod by 1 because the Grinder Produces 6 Blaze powder and the Compresser from IC2 requires 5 Blaze Power to produce a Blaze Rod. Lowering the amount produced through a config option would be nice or having it auto detect it and make the change, whats also possible is making a config option that allows you to disable Compressors in IC2 making Blaze Rods all together (obviously off by default or people would get uppity and call RoC Rotarygreg or something).

Thanks!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Can you add a config option that becomes available while Industrialcraft 2 is installed that allows you to lower the amount of Blaze powder that is produced from a Blaze Rod by 1 because the Grinder Produces 6 Blaze powder and the Compresser from IC2 requires 5 Blaze Power to produce a Blaze Rod. Lowering the amount produced through a config option would be nice or having it auto detect it and make the change, whats also possible is making a config option that allows you to disable Compressors in IC2 making Blaze Rods all together (obviously off by default or people would get uppity and call RoC Rotarygreg or something).

Thanks!
I cannot add a config to IC2, and I am not going to change the x3 ratios the grinder gives, because what is going to happen next is some mod is going to only need four to remake the product.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot add a config to IC2, and I am not going to change the x3 ratios the grinder gives, because what is going to happen next is some mod is going to only need four to remake the product.

I'm not sure of the intricacies of modding, but I think a fix as simple as removing the blaze rod recipe added by IC2 would work (w/ switch in RoC config). It wouldn't really be an issue if it weren't for the fact that both the grinder and IC2 compressor have low power requirements. The compressor can operate at 2 EU/t which is only 4.16 kW with the new conversion ratios. You could set up an early game steam engine powered blaze rod duplicator that spit out a blaze powder every 24 seconds.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the amount given by it being configurable would be acceptable then (Only for Blaze Powder)?

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
I guess if you allowed the recipe by default then the people who would enable it would be the same people who would decide on their own to not use the exploit in the first place.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you all just use MineTweaker and change the recipe for IC2? Make it so it takes more Blaze Powder to make one Blaze Rod?

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you all just use MineTweaker and change the recipe for IC2? Make it so it takes more Blaze Powder to make one Blaze Rod?
Yes but some people do not want to use Minetweaker (I am not one of those people, I actually removed the recipe from the Compressor for myself) however this would be a good alternative.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
Just ran a test, if you max the compressor and grinder you can generate ~4 blaze rods per second. Takes 18 overclocker upgrades and runs off two bedrock industrial coils at around 21 MW total.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes but some people do not want to use Minetweaker (I am not one of those people, I actually removed the recipe from the Compressor for myself) however this would be a good alternative.
If someone is not willing to edit the recipe, what makes you think they would be willing to use the config (even if I changed it by default, what is stopping them from turning it back on)?

Reactions: PierceSG

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
As cool as the RC engines can look, I especially like the looks of the Reactorcraft multiblocks. As much as I like having to work for my gains, I play mainly to build. So I would be happy just to get the damn things built and rotating. Even if they are being inefficient. Whats the easiest way to generate steam for a turbine? I assume other mod's steam wont work.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest a fission reactor. In my experience, they're a lot simpler to build and automate than HTGRs and, if you're smart, you can make the uranium fuel pellets using 2 AC engines and the proper gearing. Its a bit hard on the steel, and requires a fair amount of indium, cadmium, and silver, but its well worth it. It won't be fully uploaded for another few hours, but (WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG AHEAD) episode 33 of my LP has me actually going about building a reactor that, later on, can even be used to make tritium. Its not active, but I'm working with one of Reika's own, personal designs, so it should be fairly good. If ya want, the link to my LP is at the top of my sig, expect to see the video before 3-5pm Eastern Time.

[ETA]

Actually, it seems my upload rate has spiked a bit, so my estimate is now off by about two hours. It should online by 2pm EST at the latest.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Just ran a test, if you max the compressor and grinder you can generate ~4 blaze rods per second. Takes 18 overclocker upgrades and runs off two bedrock industrial coils at around 21 MW total.

And, is this supposed to be a problem?

If I understand correctly, you are talking about bedrock coils -- the end of the Rotarycraft tech tree -- and massive overclocking -- probably near the end of the IC tech tree (I am guessing, I don't use that mod), and you have to max the machines in question.

This sounds very late-game, and not in any way, shape or form early game, or game breaking. It's no different than an automated blaze farm (see Etho, and others), and is probably one of the more expensive / later-game ways to get a blaze rod production system going.

Now, being rotarycraft, there's probably no upper limit -- send in more power, crank them out faster -- so you will get more total rods faster at some point. So what?

Reactions: PierceSG

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
Well Rotarycraft endgame really isn't as much about resources so much as it is power. I was just using bedrock coils as an example power supply but a gas turbine could power three of those setups for ~12 blaze rods per second.

The problem comes from the fact that the setup works at the other end of the power spectrum. Two steam engines can produce 1 blaze rod every 2 minutes while requiring nothing to run. While that in its own is actually useful and not more OP than sitting at a blaze spawner, applying the power of 2 microturbines (easily made and not gated behind tungsten or bedrock) will have you swimming in more blaze rods than you know what to do with. I was just illustrating two extremes.