Buying Minecraft From Mojang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
How much should we offer?
Notch is more likely to sell to the community than microsoft given his views about selling to big faceless corporations.

We'll need a few things before we can seriously consider doing this:
1. A development team. The forge team or a custom team.
Owner:
Project leader:
Lead developer:
Developers: @Christophernjsp
Manager:
Lead Artist:
Artists:
Legal:
2. An actual agreement.
I'll work on one. If you have suggestions post below
3. Money. Kickstarter campaign most likely.
Ideas for rewards, extra funding projects, kickstarter page details, go here
4. Community support
If you are going to support us and raise the news, you're name goes here.

Last edited:

ulgrath

Jul 29, 2019
i would donate to kickstarter although at 28mil minecraft users/players it would be like 36$ a person just to match microsofts bid

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
I think one of us was being serious and the other wasn't. As it is my computer can't play flash so I don't know what that video is.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I'll contribute 2 cents.

My biggest concern is the mod community surrounding minecraft. I've read about 4-5 stories that mentioned M$ essentially halting unauthorized mods (their words) but the problem is that ALL mods are unauthorized! Forge is unauthorized, it's with a wink and a nudge that they continue on. That is the thing that could decimate the entire community and minecraft's future. Hopefully M$ sees this and recognizes it for what it is. Otherwise, they just lost 2 billion thinking they can capitalize on everything, but maybe the momentum would carry it forward enough to recoup their losses. :(

Someone should make a texture pack that has the windows logo (different variations) swapping out all the mobs (passive / otherwise) faces before that can never happen.

I say we dig below bedrock using Rotarycraft and setup there. nobody will find us there!

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
@DoomSquirter This is why a part of the modding community should buy Minecraft. Mojang isn't really that supportive of mods, and updating Minecraft has not been their priority as of late.

Can someone ask Notch how much he would sell Minecraft for if it was the community buying it?

Last edited:

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
@DoomSquirter This is why a part of the modding community should buy Minecraft. Mojang isn't really that supportive of mods, and updating Minecraft has not been their priority as of late.
Oh, I understand that, but it's quite unfeasible getting this many sheep together to do just that. I think Notch's writer's block has become absolute and he wants to be rid of minecraft to try and cure himself of it. If he's the one that approached M$, he has his own reasons to do just that. It also gives him a target to take potshots at much later when / if things go downhill while counting his billions. A scapegoat if you will.

Assuming M$ picks up Minecraft, decides not to run ragged over the whole thing, at the best, I'd say we'd be at status quo. Maybe they'd bring forge internally to run it. It might then be years till we see a ripple effect. The one thing that most people don't realize in this day and age is that corporations / governments are very aware of the instantaneous nature of the net, etc. When they do things, they tend to do them very slowly in small amounts so as to not upset the cart and create resistance. So the changes most likely would take a longer time and by that time, the entire dynamic is out of whack already. By then, people will be like "nahh, I stopped playing minecraft a year ago cause it got boring, who cares they did X or Y last week". They'll find an incident to make a drastic change "for the childrencreepers!". Typical corporate/governmental bs.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
i would be so happy if we got control of mc. on my phone right now, so i will write a detailed post later ;p

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
@DoomSquirter To pull this off we are going to need community support. Youtubers will be the best thing for that.
I'm being the obvious pessimist here, so with that said. You do realize that this has been going on, for most likely months? Breaking news like this seemed to think that the deal was to be decided in the next couple days (given the 'this week') argument. Meaning, you'd have to organize and fulfill all of these obligations in record time.

If that is all true, that this has been a secret negotiation period of 2-3 months, nobody heard wind of it till someone blurted out what happened in office. If the /. story comment about how they at mojang knew about this since the beginning of month and lots of sobbing were heard throughout...

There was never any time to get any kind of resistance or opposition to this whole thing in the short time it would take to finalize the deal with M$.

On the other hand, maybe that's all BS and in actuality, Notch is trolling everyone moreso than Gideon rickrolling a bunch of ppl.

Most things like this require some traction and time for there to be an effective front against a change such as this. The people that react to it generally have a lot vested in whatever is happening. With this? Has anyone ever done a census on MC players to figure out how many of the peeps playing are younger than voting age and having disposable income? These are the people more likely to actually commit to something along these lines, be it with time, effort or money, and to move forward.

Sorry. :) I'm too busy making mirrors of all the mod repositories everywhere right now for sake of future playthroughs. :(

Reactions: pc_assassin

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
How about we start a kickstarter for "Minecraft 2.0" with a $1,000,000 goal or something like that. The 1mil will be for purchasing the IP from Mojang. Believe it or not, 36 games have actually raised more than 1 million on kickstarter (based on their stats). I personally hope this is Notch trolling or something like that. But even if that is true, I would still want to see Minecraft change hands. Notch probably does too.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
How about we start a kickstarter for "Minecraft 2.0" with a $1,000,000 goal or something like that. The 1mil will be for purchasing the IP from Mojang. Believe it or not, 36 games have actually raised more than 1 million on kickstarter (based on their stats). I personally hope this is Notch trolling or something like that. But even if that is true, I would still want to see Minecraft change hands. Notch probably does too.
You're missing three zeros for it to even begin to be in the correct ballpark now. Running a reasonable (for a tech giant) multiplier on Mojang's presumptive napkin EBITDA in the previous year, $2 billion is a very fair offer (at least coming from finance pointyheads with the way projections tend to run in the business, even if it's ultimately wrong as all hell). Noting that most of the value of the company is in the Minecraft IP itself, that keeps those additional zeros in place. To note, if my napkin math is anywhere near accurate (it's been a couple years since I was doing this math routinely), if the valuation were done on the basis of something like Facebook's, the number may in fact go upwards of $8-9 billion (I don't think they'll get that or that it'd be worth it; the multiplier on Facebook is overrated in my opinion and their P/E ratio is inflated by psychovoodoo that'll fall to gravity eventually).

Personal sentiments or not, that money flows in a lot of places. Notch isn't going to take 200,000% less on the deal just because he's a nice guy. That money also involves the other current stakeholders in Mojang & Notch Development, and there's a certain fiduciary duty there to fulfill.

Think on that really hard before making any more proposals. The world of business and finance cares about (occasionally made-up) numbers, (regularly massaged) metrics, and (rather incoherent) buzztalk. It's a honey badger to pretty much everything else once the assets involve reach a certain level.

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
You are right. This is really just conjecture. We don't even know for sure if this will actually happen. It would be nice if the community could purchase Minecraft from Mojang, but it is unlikely. I will just continue helping with E.R.A.M. and then most likely start my own game.

If someone wants to start a kickstarter for $2,000,000,001; I will contribute to it. But good luck raising almost twice the total amount of money ever raised on Kickstarter

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
You're missing three zeros for it to even begin to be in the correct ballpark now. Running a reasonable (for a tech giant) multiplier on Mojang's presumptive napkin EBITDA in the previous year, $2 billion is a very fair offer (at least coming from finance pointyheads with the way projections tend to run in the business, even if it's ultimately wrong as all hell). Noting that most of the value of the company is in the Minecraft IP itself, that keeps those additional zeros in place. To note, if my napkin math is anywhere near accurate (it's been a couple years since I was doing this math routinely), if the valuation were done on the basis of something like Facebook's, the number may in fact go upwards of $8-9 billion (I don't think they'll get that or that it'd be worth it; the multiplier on Facebook is overrated in my opinion and their P/E ratio is inflated by psychovoodoo that'll fall to gravity eventually).

Personal sentiments or not, that money flows in a lot of places. Notch isn't going to take 200,000% less on the deal just because he's a nice guy. That money also involves the other current stakeholders in Mojang & Notch Development, and there's a certain fiduciary duty there to fulfill.

Think on that really hard before making any more proposals. The world of business and finance cares about (occasionally made-up) numbers, (regularly massaged) metrics, and (rather incoherent) buzztalk. It's a honey badger to pretty much everything else once the assets involve reach a certain level.
And this is why I love southpark. So many people think they can affect change if they all band together, when all you end up doing is giving obama a chance to steal the hope diamond. :) Did anyone get the symbolism of the "stealing hope" part? :) People get swept up in things as momentum goes, but for things like this where your life or liberty isn't on the line? I can't think of a single instance where something like this has actually worked (with regards to kickstarter, etc.. and I do not count Tim Schafer, cause that was a given).

The gaming industry is not the same industry it was back in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's. It has boom/bust cycles like anything else. Right now, the entertainment industry is the highest grossing industry most likely from gaming in general. What do we have to show for it? Some AAA titles, and a WHOLE lot of iphone / ipad pay to win games. When Clash of Clans can make 1 million dollars per DAY, why would anyone go into something other than that? It's absurd and disgusting to me since I've been playing games since the arcade days with asteroids, space wars, etc...

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Son of a gun I just got rickrolled

Sent from the cheese universe

I like getting Rick Rolled, I end up listening to the full song because it's good lol
So we need to donate $2,000,000,001.00? Well I plan on working in the mining industry here in Australia, so it's just a matter of working my way up to the top and stealing Gina Rinehart's purse. There should be a few blank signed checks already.

Status
Not open for further replies.