Building village in ravine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
Hiyall!

I just have a quick inquiry regarding village spawning behavior. I'm currently remodeling a village and see this nice open ravine cutting through it. I really want to cut into the sides of the ravine by 2-3 blocks and put houses facing outward toward the ravine. The ravine itself is mostly open in the middle for clear sky view and thought this would add a cool dynamic to the village without having to clutter it with all sorts of doors/slums for villager/golem population.

The problem I have is that I don't know how the village spawn code would interact with ravines. I remember in an older patch having caves/ravines near your village would create an out of control population boom. I also read the wiki and the wiki suggests that a number of blocks (up to 5) away from the door must be able to see all the way to the sky.

Which seems like with an open ravine would be no problem as long as I kept the doors near the opened area. However I'm having difficulty locating documentation on the subject.

If anyone has any experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I do plan on going forward and building the houses anyway (I'm trying to mimic the actual village houses as best as possible with the circumstances) but I was hoping to plan it in such a way that my villagers would occupy them as well. :)