Building a server out of spare parts. Will it work?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
T

TheLord

I'm planning on building a FTB all the mods server out of my old system build, this will just be the host and I will be playing Minecraft on a different machine.

CPU: I5 4690k 4.5Ghz
Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 1866MHz DDR3 16GB (4x4GB)
Mobo: MSI z87-g55
HDD: 500GB WD Blue

Would this run a server smoothly for 3 players with all mods.

T

TheLord

Not a FTB pack.

That hardware should work, suggestion is to put in a ssd for the os and game to run from, then use the hdd to put backups on.

Ohh dam yeah :p Will the hardware run most of the FTB mod packs though?

and I shall do that, Thanks for the advice:)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Depending on your OS you might want to bump that 4GB ram to 8GB. Everything past MC 1.10 seems happier running with 6+GB allocated and you still have to have ram for the OS to run.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
That's better than what 95% of people play FTB on I'm pretty sure.

So sure it should work. Might get a bit of lag if you build crazy but that hardware seems pretty top notch to me and that would probably happen on nasas computers also :D

Unless you pay 100s a month no creepergost or competitor offers anything close to this.

Don't get the previous replies...please someone explain to me lol.

Tho yeah mabes add an ssd or 2 to the mix

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

So sure it should work. Might get a bit of lag if you build crazy but that hardware seems pretty top notch to me and that would probably happen on nasas computers also :D

Unless you pay 100s a month no creepergost or competitor offers anything close to this.

My mistake about the ram... I read the original post as saying there was 4GB ram, not 4x4GB. :D

Not many people clarify the number of DIMMs they have as it doesn't matter unless they have an odd number and want to run dual (or quad) channel memory.

T

TheLord

XD That's good I just don't see the point of paying for a server when I have spare hardware and I'm able to host my own when its just for three and yeah I'm going to throw an ssd in and do backups to a HDD

My mistake about the ram... I read the original post as saying there was 4GB ram, not 4x4GB. :D

Not many people clarify the number of DIMMs they have as it doesn't matter unless they have an odd number and want to run dual (or quad) channel memory.

:D Was really confused at first and I just thought I'd say how many DIMM's I have So people know I have no more slots left to upgrade.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
XD That's good I just don't see the point of paying for a server when I have spare hardware and I'm able to host my own when its just for three and yeah I'm going to throw an ssd in and do backups to a HDD

:D Was really confused at first and I just thought I'd say how many DIMM's I have So people know I have no more slots left to upgrade.

That's what happens when I read forum posts BC (Before Coffee) :D