[BuildCraft vs Thermal Expansion] How to choose the direction ?

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

BuildCraft WaterProof pipes can be directed with iron waterproof pipes but not Thermal Expansion fluiducts.
It is significally problematic with magmatic engine where many engine inputs are connected (because supplied from a unique source), there is a chance that a magmatic engine give lava to another magmatic engine (and why not maybe resupply the source ?)

Am I wrong or is it necessary to give a direction to liquids ? And what is the TE solution ?

Thanks a lot for your knowledge.

Reactions: pc_assassin

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

BuildCraft WaterProof pipes can be directed with iron waterproof pipes but not Thermal Expansion fluiducts.
It is significally problematic with magmatic engine where many engine inputs are connected (because supplied from a unique source), there is a chance that a magmatic engine give lava to another magmatic engine (and why not maybe resupply the source ?)

Am I wrong or is it necessary to give a direction to liquids ? And what is the TE solution ?

I'm pretty sure that fluiducts only output when they have a lit arrow on them, unless magmatic dynamos are auto-output machines then they shouldn't have a problem.

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
I just checked and you're right Omegatron that solve my problem :)

And there is no arrow for fluiducts it is just in itemducts.

Skullywag

Jul 29, 2019
I was just in a situation where directional control of itemducts would have saved me. I have a setup for bees using itemducts to automate that actually was cross breeding by mistake if certain things happened at certain times. I think I can fix it by changing the output itemduct to the side closest to my line of ducts moving items away from the apiarys but a direction select at the junction points would have saved me for sure.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason to use ducts for bees, over pipes which were designed for bees?
You can designate exactly which bees can enter the inventory, using NBT data and metadata, so only the bees with the alleles and genes you specify (by putting the desired bee into a filter) will be allowed in. I haven't actually used pipes yet, so I can't tell you about that...

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I was just in a situation where directional control of itemducts would have saved me. I have a setup for bees using itemducts to automate that actually was cross breeding by mistake if certain things happened at certain times. I think I can fix it by changing the output itemduct to the side closest to my line of ducts moving items away from the apiarys but a direction select at the junction points would have saved me for sure.

Did you try pneumatic servos?

Sent From My HTC EVO SUPERSONIC Using Tapatalk 2

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Apiarist pipes are designed specifically for bees. They can be set to only move pure bred bees, and I believe they can also match traits exactly.

Then again, I prefer to dump into a chest and pull from two inputs, one for bees and one for items.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Apiarist pipes are designed specifically for bees. They can be set to only move pure bred bees, and I believe they can also match traits exactly.

Then again, I prefer to dump into a chest and pull from two inputs, one for bees and one for items.
Ducts can have servos applied to them to sort by NBT data. You can also set up a white-list to accept only specific items into slots as well as selecting which items go out of slots. They also work faster, with lower lag, and don't need convoluted setups to sort bees properly.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Fluiducts have arrows for output, but not for input. But you can still filter them and whatnot.

I've never used pipes for bees, because you have to get a lot of BC infrastructure and routing set up. TE is just simpler.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Fluiducts have arrows for output, but not for input. But you can still filter them and whatnot.

I've never used pipes for bees, because you have to get a lot of BC infrastructure and routing set up. TE is just simpler.

And you can have adjent pipes whitout any connection problems.(microblock)

Hello all,

put on the servo to the pipe and its will pull whatewer you set into itself.

Skullywag

Jul 29, 2019
Ducts with bees have an issue though. If I take nbt into account and filter on the princess for example she wont go in next cycle as 1 particular stat (how many breeding cycles) goes up, so each time the princess is different. Drones arent an issue. So taking that into account if I had a line of apiaries with ducts on the top to pull out bees and items going down the back where the input connector grabs the bees and puts them back into the apiary while the items and surplus drones carry on to storage through a duct system that all the other apiaries use in the same way, I will get cross contamination. Setting filters doesnt wotk as above cuz princesses are special.

So a question. If I pulled from the back of the apiary and had the input be the top would a bee leaving another apiary "reserve" that apoary if it happened to eject at the right time. I think it would reduce my problem but not solve it.

Do enderio ducts have direction select on them? If so it may be another thing that mod does better.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The answer you seek is NEITHER, Extra utils transfer pipes for both liquid and bees. They especially work great for bees where you can hit the pipe to set a direction (like the iron pipe) , I use these all the time now for bees they are superb.

I've never tried setting a direction for liquid though but in theory it should work the same, but yeah man try it with bees and set the directions, they are awesome.

I asked KingLemming at the time itemducts were in development for a directional pipe and he said it wasn't necessary, but for a large set of complex bee apiaries/alvearys they most definitely are, they screw up eventually.