Buildcraft quarry (What is best way to power it???)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, since the thread's already been revived, I may as well.

I use 2 HP boilers and 1 LP boiler. Easily enough to power 2-3 quarries, and they're stupid-easy to maintain.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseracts have pretty much obsoleted this whole discussion since then though.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
So unless you have a 100% foolproof system with a void pipe overflow do not run a quarry at max speed, there's so much that can go wrong and spill out crap everywhere.

By that time you have all the cobble, dirt and gravel you'll ever need. So you can just void it at the source and not have to worry too much about overflow.

Tesseracts have pretty much obsoleted this whole discussion since then though.

Indeed. I use one energy tess per 2 quarries (set them to 50mj/t, more doesn't seem to improve speeld) and one item tess to lead the items back into my base. The recieving tess outputs to pipes that first throw out anything I don't want (cobble, xy quartz, etc.) and then stuff stuff into my AE system.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
While the quarry will take up to 100 MJ/t, it runs at maximum speed at 48 MJ/t. Anything above that is just wasted energy.
Energy cells are great, but you do lose 5% power for each transfer.

When starting out, I'd recommend some hobbyist steam engines directly on the quarry, with an aqueous acumulator to supply the water.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
While the quarry will take up to 100 MJ/t, it runs at maximum speed at 48 MJ/t. Anything above that is just wasted energy.
Energy cells are great, but you do lose 5% power for each transfer.

When starting out, I'd recommend some hobbyist steam engines directly on the quarry, with an aqueous acumulator to supply the water.
Oh man, you need titanium for quarries, which means that your energy situation needs to be pretty much solved before you can start quarrying anything. It's imo much easier to forego quarries completely before you can afford that energy tesseract and a boiler to go with it.