Buildcraft back to MJ?

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have Buildcraft back in 1.12.2. Always been my favorite tech mod; there are few things as satisfying as watching items zoom around through a complex pipe system. :) But now all BC machines are back to using MJ, making them incompatible with other mods, particularly Forestry's engines, which were (I believe) specifically designed to add Buildcraft compatibility.

Now, I'm sure the devs have good reason to make this change, but I can't find any documentation on it through Google, and I'm curious what said reasons might be. Anyone know?

(Also, while I'm complaining about stuff, I should mention that energy pulses/item extractions are not synchronized with the engine animation, which really bugs this particular small (but loud) spot in my brain.)

Update: I find that Galacticraft machines and batteries are compatible with MJ, thanks MikeDoodle!

Last edited:

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Ircc, The devs said that MJ will be compatible with Forge Energy eventually, though don't quote me on that. I don't remember if I saw that on reddit or on discord. I'm sure someone will make a conversion mod eventually. There is a high enough demand for it it seems, though at this time, I do not see one on curseforge at this time.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm a bit surprised if its not built right on top of forge energy capabilities. A lot of these energy systems in 1.12 are basically the same system under the hood but with a different face.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit surprised if its not built right on top of forge energy capabilities. A lot of these energy systems in 1.12 are basically the same system under the hood but with a different face.
Yeah it's really odd and it's kinda annoying. I like my energy systems being consistent. It bugs me the most when it's not 1-1 with FE like. MicroInfinity isn't 1-1 with RF or FE. Its like why even have it if it's going to be compatible anyway? All it's doing it making me do more math. :T It's not fun, it's annoying.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
What is UP with "Infinity" as a unit?! I know just enough about maths for that to just make me twitch. At least with all the magic mods (when you've got your various things like life points, mana, vis, lumens, aura, altar power and so on) yes they are different, but you know what you're getting into - they've got entirely different generation from the get-go. Having a bunch of blocks that look very similar and do the same thing (burn solid fuels for power) but generate entirely different types of power just feels a bit... off.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. I mean, you can stick RF/FE into it and the machines will function just the same, so it's not that big of a deal. But as an energy source it doesn't make sense. It's such a weird thing to do, though I mean they also made the machines 3d for no reason which, and added 2d versions of the block for people complaining about the models which just clutters JEI. Ender IO is making a lot of really weird changes recently :/

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah it's really odd and it's kinda annoying. I like my energy systems being consistent. It bugs me the most when it's not 1-1 with FE like. MicroInfinity isn't 1-1 with RF or FE. Its like why even have it if it's going to be compatible anyway? All it's doing it making me do more math. :T It's not fun, it's annoying.
Agreed, although I might possibly differ from you in one aspect: while I *do* prefer when all single-dimension power systems are the same (at least under the hood), I also really love multi-dimensional power systems too. Stuff like GT (Volts, Amps), RotaryCraft (torque/speed), etc. ElectriCraft and IC2 (non-IC2e anyway) fit into this category as well.

While I feel like they should have built-in compatibility options for FE, I'd never want to see them vanish altogether. RotaryCraft in particular would be 96.4% pointless with a single-dimension energy system such as RF. And TechReborn feels like an utter waste of time to me with its lack of energy packets.

Botania is an interesting niche: You could argue that "mana" is an energy system, but imo functions as more of a fuel resource.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Agreed, although I might possibly differ from you in one aspect: while I *do* prefer when all single-dimension power systems are the same (at least under the hood), I also really love multi-dimensional power systems too. Stuff like GT (Volts, Amps), RotaryCraft (torque/speed), etc. ElectriCraft and IC2 (non-IC2e anyway) fit into this category as well.

While I feel like they should have built-in compatibility options for FE, I'd never want to see them vanish altogether. RotaryCraft in particular would be 96.4% pointless with a single-dimension energy system such as RF. And TechReborn feels like an utter waste of time to me with its lack of energy packets.

Botania is an interesting niche: You could argue that "mana" is an energy system, but imo functions as more of a fuel resource.
I think mana falls especially under energy when you consider its transfer through things like mana spreaders. Its an interesting one, because a pulse of mana is like a packet; the size can vary depending on spreader and lens; because spreaders don't re-fire until the previous pulse has hit, that could be argued to be a bit like a "frequency" (except of course that frequency doesn't depend on the length of the cable its being sent down). And again, because the speed of the pulse can be increased, then over a set time period, the pulses/minute is higher and thus mana transfer greater. When you're sticking your mana spreader right next to where the mana is being used, a lot of the subtlety disappears, but certainly can be a thing.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I should have inverted my comment: Mana is "obviously" an energy system, but you can "argue" that its more of a resource.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019

Oh yeah, same. I went back and played RotaryCraft recently, and I fell in love with RC more than I already was. IC2Classic has a better feel of what EU is, and if it ran on say RF, it wouldn't be as fun, (Despite what I said like 2 years ago, when they announced as an april fools joke that they would be using RF). Tech Reborn feels more like a poor mans IC2, with it's only benefit is that it runs on FE. ElectriCraft always felt more like a more convenient way to move RC power

Also it's kinda funny that you bring up RC and RF (Since I'm low key taking some machines from that mod and making my own versions that run on FE for a mod I may or may not release. I'm not positive yet)

Reactions: Pyure