Brass - Am I the only one who can no longer make it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SidDark

Jul 29, 2019
I've searched around and I cant find anyone else mentioning this, so maybe it's just me?

I ran out of pneumatic tubes last night, had no Brass in my chests, so I attempted to make some more - pulverised some Bronze into bronze blend, added them to a crafting table, no brass blend. pressing R on Brass Blend in NEI no longer displays the recipe.

am I the only one with this issue?

Thanks

SidDark

Jul 29, 2019
did you try an alloy furnace?

I didn't :oops: I actually found some tubes in another chest, so stopped looking at it. I'll try in an alloy furnace later. Thanks KhrFreak :)

Edit - Quickly Checked it now - Alloy Furnace works fine with copper and tin ingots, and shows up in NEI, the blend recipes defiantly don't though - was this method removed?

I knew it would be something simple like this! - Thanks again KhrFreak

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the bronze blend and brass blend interchangability has been taken out. So that you can only make brass using the alloy furnace.

Reactions: SidDark

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
brass dust made from zinc and copper still works for sure in mindcrack. What modpack are you using?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
From Thermal Expansion's changelog for 2.1.7:

-Removed: Brass and Bronze Conversion through dusts. This *might* get added back in through the Induction Smelter.

Why would you use such a convoluted method for making brass, anyway? It's easier to just toss the Copper and Tin in a Blulectric Alloy Furnace.

SidDark

Jul 29, 2019
brass dust made from zinc and copper still works for sure in mindcrack. What modpack are you using?

DW20 V5.0.1

From Thermal Expansion's changelog for 2.1.7:

Why would you use such a convoluted method for making brass, anyway? It's easier to just toss the Copper and Tin in a Blulectric Alloy Furnace.

Because it was the first method presented to me when first making Brass - (Translate: Noobness)

Thanks for Everyone's input.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Also another reason was that you got twice the brass output for the same amount of copper and tin.
That's no difference with the normal recipe, 3 copper + 1 tin gives you 4 brass or 2 bronze. It's only a difference if the forestry bronze recipe is still active, which is probably why TE had to remove it.

Reactions: SidDark

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
When Thermal Expansion (v1) first implemented Bronze <-> Brass conversion, no mods were using Zinc. RP was the only outlier, and it made sense.

The ratio was never an issue, 4 Brass Blend made 2 Bronze Blend, and vice-versa.

However, since times have changed a bit, the removal of this was basically mandated by the fact that you could effectively trade Tin for Zinc with it or vice versa, depending on which way you went. Also, it then requires that people who need Brass in RP have the Alloy Furnace built, which is a logical tech requirement and it's a step that makes sense in the gameplay flow of things.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Well, good thing I haven't updated then. This change will break my production chain and only delay my ship production.

Tin and zinc are both garbage that are currently just filling up barrels so I don't understand the concern there. I get a lot more tin, but I do use a chunk of it outside of brass production. Zinc is a waste material that I have no use for at the moment- in fact it's currently stored with xycraft aluminum and gregtech manganese dust. If I was aware I could translate it into tin I might have used it, but I have way more tin than I will ever need so that's a moot point.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
heh... gregtech zinc is incredibly common (one vein = several stacks) from (sphalerite?) the yellow ore in the nether. Running it through a centrifuge at a measly 32 EU per tick gives you tons sulphur which can be crafted with sticks for 16 torches per stick and tons of zinc which can be crafted into advanced ingots as well as brass and a few other things.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget you can use the resulting sulphur with lead to make a more efficient battery recipe and save your redstone.

Reactions: Vovk

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
However, since times have changed a bit, the removal of this was basically mandated by the fact that you could effectively trade Tin for Zinc with it or vice versa, depending on which way you went.

Why not a check for GregTech being installed, and adding the recipe if it not. (OP posted that he was using the Direwolf pack)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Why not a check for GregTech being installed, and adding the recipe if it not. (OP posted that he was using the Direwolf pack)

Because like he said it forces you to use logical progression of the mod it comes from.