Boiler EU conversion spreadsheet (Ultimate Pack 1.0.1)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aziroshin

Jul 29, 2019
I experimented a little with solid fuel, high pressure boilers and industrial steam engines to find out how different fuel sources would convert over to EU/t in comparison to burning them in an IC2 generator. An energy bridge does the conversion.

There are two basic setups: A pre-heated boiler and a completely cold system, the latter only with a 1 boiler, 1 engine setup, as these are the most interesting ones for such use. The result is that as little as 3 coke coal, 6 coal or 12 charcoal seems to make mini-boilers a viable replacement for generators for small tasks, without powering them constantly.

The 36 boilers, 18 engines setup produces more than 300 EU/t, which puts boilers in a competitive spot against nuclear reactors as a power production method based on renewable resources.

I put the results of my experiments in this google spreadsheet. I don't guarentee for any of that data to be correct or non-redundant, and would appreciate hints at any error one my find. :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm not a fan of overPowered Converters, I'll still say good job. Having data at a glance is always good.

However, I'd like to make a recommendation: always keep your test samples standardized. Meaning, don't test your IC2 generators with 1 unit of fuel and the boilers with 10. Do both with 1 or both with 10. Granted, it's not hard at all to move the comma by a digit in your head, but it's an extra step the viewer has to do themselves when the spreadsheet could easily have done it for them already. And I'd wager that a good half of all people looking at this sheet will ignore all the columns aside from the EU/t result, and thus get the wrong idea.

Also keep in mind that for freshly heated boilers, EU output per fuel unit will be much lower. Only long-term operation will begin to approach the theoretical steady-state output. More on this is my signature ;)

Reactions: Riuga

Aziroshin

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for your input. =D

I plan on performing some tests at some point to determine how steam converters perform.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
my logic says that steam=>eu conversion is based on steam=>mj conversion trough engines. so 720 mb/t=144 mj/t=360 eu/t(144 mj/t*2.5) thus 2 mb/t=1 eu

qap

Jul 29, 2019
my logic says that steam=>eu conversion is based on steam=>mj conversion trough engines. so 720 mb/t=144 mj/t=360 eu/t(144 mj/t*2.5) thus 2 mb/t=1 eu
Close
1 EU is produced by 2.05 mb steam, so a 720 mB/t producing 3x4x3 high pressure boiler outputs 350 EU/t, using power converters, as of documentation of power converters,
outputQuantity = inputQuantity * inputScale / outputScale
outputQuantity =1*875/1800
</nitpick>
/edit, whoops, this is for direct conversion stean->EU, my bad.

In a testworld I currently try to find out, how many boilers I can attach to a single MFR bio reactor, 15 so far. Outputting 5250 EU/t.
Measured in game a single boiler does producte 350 EU/t.

Is there a reason for converting steam to bc first, and then using power converters to convert bc into eu?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason for converting steam to bc first, and then using power converters to convert bc into eu?
i dont see the point of it. if you`re using engines, you will need to used conduits, and encounter their 5% loss. so avoiding them is more efficient.