Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
@Eyamaz
@Glassmaker
Speaking of Damascus Steel, I have two questions.

1. Why is it brown? In reality it looks just like other steel, but with a really cool swirling pattern...

2. Why does it take bronze? Modern theories suggest things like plant biomass in combination with iron, but I haven't seen anything about bronze.

Don't think to hard on it. Mithril should also only be found in Moria and Erador. And I've heard it's actually tough to take down a tree with your fist :)

Phantasm23

Jul 29, 2019
@Eyamaz
Smallish bug for you... Witchery Wormwood (click for info) requires you to perform a little ritual to mutate the plant... but Hunger Overhaul prevents you from doing so. You need to r-click the fully grown wheat with the Sprig, which causes HO to harvest the crops, and Witchery misses out.

Any chance for an alternate recipe to get the Wormwood Seeds? Keep in mind that you are only supposed to loose 1 charge off the Sprig, and not loose the cotton either (I believe).

I checked the other Witchery plant mutations, and I couldn't see any other problems... the others involved Sugar Cane, Cactus, chests, etc.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
So I tanked the electric cloud and built a bridge to the portal, then I gathered my stuff and went in to kill the boss. The boss got stuck in the pyramid and died eventually dropping a yellow heart, an iron helmet, and a particle glove while I stood at the top and only got hit once while collecting the netherrack. Zombies then started spawning and I ran to the portal, jumped out, destroyed the bridge and let the electric cloud finish them off. I then used the glove a bit later to close the portal. Does this mean I no longer have to worry about invaders? Also I had to use wood and lava to ignite my nether portal. How do I make steel?
other than pig iron?

Last edited:

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
So I tanked the electric cloud and built a bridge to the portal, then I gathered my stuff and went in to kill the boss. The boss got stuck in the pyramid and died eventually dropping a yellow heart, an iron helmet, and a particle glove while I stood at the top and only got hit once while collecting the netherrack. Zombies then started spawning and I ran to the portal, jumped out, destroyed the bridge and let the electric cloud finish them off. I then used the glove a bit later to close the portal. Does this mean I no longer have to worry about invaders? Also I had to use wood and lava to ignite my nether portal. How do I make steel?
other than pig iron?

Steel is made using the high oven from Tinkers Steelworks. This is after you have a nether portal since it will require sulfur and redstone from the nether. First nether portal is wood and lava like you used. It's possible to also make a bit of steel in the high over without a nether portal: explore dungeons and home to find a bit of redstone, and kill creepers for gunpowder. 1 redstone and 1 gunpowder will at least let you make a bar of steel to make flint and steel and get more supplies for the high oven from the nether.

Smiley3986

Jul 29, 2019
For lighting my nether portal in this pack I always use fire charges I have 3-4 by the time I think of entering the nether.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
Steel is made using the high oven from Tinkers Steelworks. This is after you have a nether portal since it will require sulfur and redstone from the nether. First nether portal is wood and lava like you used. It's possible to also make a bit of steel in the high over without a nether portal: explore dungeons and home to find a bit of redstone, and kill creepers for gunpowder. 1 redstone and 1 gunpowder will at least let you make a bar of steel to make flint and steel and get more supplies for the high oven from the nether.
damn I could have skipped so much. Thank you. I've had redstone that I've been sparingly using that I got from a jungle temple.

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
I finally got enough emeralds to make a silky jewel - but I can't put it on my pickaxe with 2 open modifiers. Does it not work in the current version? Or is it disabled? I was able to add a second ball of moss without an issue (which took up a second modifier slot). I don't have auto-smelt or anything that should conflict with it on the pickaxe.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I finally got enough emeralds to make a silky jewel - but I can't put it on my pickaxe with 2 open modifiers. Does it not work in the current version? Or is it disabled? I was able to add a second ball of moss without an issue (which took up a second modifier slot). I don't have auto-smelt or anything that should conflict with it on the pickaxe.

Make sure that the pick is fully repaired. This can sometimes keep you from an upgrade.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
other than pig iron?
Don't worry, more invasion portals/cave invasions will still spawn over time. :)

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to add a recipe that creates Leather, maybe using Rotten Flesh?

Not sure what experience everybody else makes with the progression path. I'm now at a point where I can make Bronze and Damascus Steel. But with the changes to the breeding, cows becoming hostile when attacked and how easily mobs are griefing all the different building materials, I think it will still take a while until I can get leather from cows. (I guess I could use dirt walls also for the cattle ranch, but somehow that doesn't feel right. And a steady wheat supply is also still a little bit out.)

A straight Rotten Flesh -> Leather in a furnace would probably be too cheap. But how about 3x Rotten Flesh, 1 Salt, 2x Sticks(?) as shapeless crafting recipe? Or even 8x Rotten Flesh in a box pattern with salt or some acid (vinegar?) in the center would work.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019

Not sure what experience everybody else makes with the progression path. I'm now at a point where I can make Bronze and Damascus Steel. But with the changes to the breeding, cows becoming hostile when attacked and how easily mobs are griefing all the different building materials, I think it will still take a while until I can get leather from cows. (I guess I could use dirt walls also for the cattle ranch, but somehow that doesn't feel right. And a steady wheat supply is also still a little bit out.)

A straight Rotten Flesh -> Leather in a furnace would probably be too cheap. But how about 3x Rotten Flesh, 1 Salt, 2x Sticks(?) as shapeless crafting recipe? Or even 8x Rotten Flesh in a box pattern with salt or some acid (vinegar?) in the center would work.

Trolls, Jabberwocks, and I believe Ettins drop leather when you kill them.

My Damascus longsword with sharpness is doing 11 damage, which I believe will one-shot a cow (haven't tried yet, but I have done sheep) which will avoid turning other animals aggressive.

For building materials, chisel the smooth stone into stone brick before breaking it. It takes twice as long, but I'm at the same metal level as you, and I've got nearly a barrel full (1024) of ungriefable building blocks.

superckl

Jul 29, 2019

My Damascus longsword with sharpness is doing 11 damage, which I believe will one-shot a cow (haven't tried yet, but I have done sheep) which will avoid turning other animals aggressive.

For building materials, chisel the smooth stone into stone brick before breaking it. It takes twice as long, but I'm at the same metal level as you, and I've got nearly a barrel full (1024) of ungriefable building blocks.
It's also pretty easy to get criticals on farm animals if your sword isn't quite there.

1. Jump
2. Click
3. ????
4. Profit

;)

superckl

Jul 29, 2019

Also, if you can manage to find a wicker man (the statues made of hay from Witchery) you'll be set on wheat for a while.

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure that the pick is fully repaired. This can sometimes keep you from an upgrade.

Yea I waited for it to be fully repaired (it has auto repair) and tried again. Same deal. Has anyone added silky gem to a pick in 1.1.1? Does it take multiple modifier slots or have some other kind of special requirements?

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019

It's also pretty easy to get criticals on farm animals if your sword isn't quite there.
Also, if you can manage to find a wicker man (the statues made of hay from Witchery) you'll be set on wheat for a while.

Thanks, guys. All good suggestions. (The second steel item was actually a chisel and there is a wicker man pretty close by.) I guess, now it's time to finally craft some armor and stick the nose out of the hidey-hole. :)

Let's see how it goes, but I might still add a recipe to make leather useful a little bit earlier in game. Probably something like [Flesh, Flesh, Flesh], [Salt, Water Bucket, Salt], [Flesh, Flesh, Flesh] and as result Imp Skin, where you have to combine four of them to get a piece of actual leather. Expensive enough (doesn't return an empty bucket) to still work towards a cattle ranch and it has some infrastructure (Iron) as prereq. But at least it allows to make a Knapsack or a small backpack before starting to do the larger builds.

Last edited:

-shhfiftyfive

Jul 29, 2019
i had previously requested an alternative recipe for leather with zombie flesh. i don't think this is "too OP" if eyamaz is going to make it so mobs don't drop items unless killed by the player. 8 zombie flesh on the drying rack to make 8 jerky. then use that jerky as scraps to for a single leather piece? attacking mobs costs a lot of hunger, so it seems like a very fair trade off.

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
Running this pack on a new machine (i7-4771 w/16GB RAM) I am running into a java performance issue - framerate is fine (80 fps or so on this machine) but every second or so I get a lag spike when used memory (in the F3 view) hits about 85% - then it garabage collects down to 76% or so - then in a second it is back up to 85% and I get another lag spike. It always says "of 910MB" even though I have Xmx and Xms set to 2048M.

~ > java -version
java version "1.7.0_60"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_60-b19)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.60-b09, mixed mode)

I have tried this (what I used to run B&B on my other machine):
java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation -jar /data/minecraft/ftb/ftb.jar
and this (which is what I use to run any other pack):
java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:parallelGCThreads=4 -jar /data/minecraft/ftb/ftb.jar

Same results either way. Any ideas?