Biomass/Sugar cane Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
So I've done research and this is the way I wanna go for MJ production instead of lava like I have been. Now currently Im using a multi farm that produces sugar cane for other duties but I don't see this type of farm producing enough sugar cane for biomass production. I've seen a large multilevel sugar cane farms before but not sure what was used to do this. I don't believe it was the old sugar cane harvesters as these levels were much larger then a harvest makes. Any idea on what I'm talking about, or is there another way easier to produce lots of biomass? I know tree breeding is an option and might do this down the road but not now .

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
The one time I used a boiler, I powered it woth sugarcane->biomass->biofuel. I didn't give with an actual 'official' farm, I just put a punch of block breakers next to the 2nd level of each cane, and ran them on a 30s timer. I also put a bunch of xycraft soil under each cane. I don't know how good the forestry farm is for sugar, though I do know this much: they are a right royal pain in the arse to set up.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
The most effective way is to use the multilevel farm. If you don't know exactly what this is I will explain it. All you have to do is get about 3-5 sugar cane harvesters and set them up 3-4 blocks above it so that the sugarcane can grow.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
You can alternatively use a MFR Harvester and plant the sugar cane on XY-Soil for faster growth.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The most effective way is to use the multilevel farm. If you don't know exactly what this is I will explain it. All you have to do is get about 3-5 sugar cane harvesters and set them up 3-4 blocks above it so that the sugarcane can grow.

The old harvesters are deprecated now so I'm afraid you can't simply build those multi-level farms anymore.

Pyriell

Jul 29, 2019
Or if you're into Thaumcraft you can set up a reed farm on XY soil (no water sources needed so can pack more reeds in to an area) with an intelligent straw golem (if it's not intelligent it will break the bottom reed as well) and a wood golem attached to a chest, ender chest, tesseract etc.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Or if you're into Thaumcraft you can set up a reed farm on XY soil (no water sources needed so can pack more reeds in to an area) with an intelligent straw golem (if it's not intelligent it will break the bottom reed as well) and a wood golem attached to a chest, ender chest, tesseract etc.

That's what I have now. It doesn't take long at all to get to golems if you have a proper base setup.

Pyriell

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can do what I did and do all your research in a field miles from your home... with no safety procedures at all... using what I only found out later is an unstable node.
I am not a good thaumaturge.