Big Reactor Turbine how to use all 2000mbSteam/t

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys,

I’m playing Infinity 1.4.1 and have a MFR Jungel Wood farm working 24/7.

I’m getting to a point were converting all the charcoal to RF with Steam Dynamos is not worth it anymore and I’m thinking about getting 5x MFR Steam Boiler which from what I saw can create a 2000mb Steam/t.
This would fit perfectly to a Big Reactor Turbine supplied directly with steam without using a Reactor.

Now I found some information about them like for example this nice Google Doc from @Saice

But when I try this in a Test World I do not get good results. So I Have some questions.

• Best design if I have 2000mb/t available is the : Max Output Turbine High Speed. 9x9x14 Enderium 5 Coils 1 partial 37 blocks total. 7 rotors of 3 blades length. Right?
  • What is 1 Full coil? A Coil surrounded with 8 Enderium blocks?
  • How I setup a partial Coil with just 5 Blocks?
  • Then I have to supply all the Steam. What do you do? 5 Ports with 5 separated EnderIO Ender Fluid Conduits?
  • If I did everything right, my turbine just does not rotate fast enough. I know it need some time to get faster but even then it seems not to go over 1000RPM.
  • How is the mechanic for this? What manipulate the RPM¿ Steam throughput?

Lets see if you can give me some info. :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
OK. Here's what I did in my last big Big Reactor setup:

(1) Steam transport: use tesseracts. Anything else in Infinity doesn't have the required capacity. IIRC you can use one tesseract for the output coolant port and one for the input coolant port of the reactor, and theses tesseracts are enough to supply eight maximum-size turbines with steam.
(2) 37 Enderium blocks for the coil per turbine is right. You surround the rotor shaft with 8 blocks each for the first four levels, then use the remaining 5 blocks to cover a part of the fifth.
(3) I don't recall the total number of rotor blades, but every rotor level should have 12 blade segments - four blades with three segments each. I think I had 84 blade segments in total.
(4) You manipulate RPM by steam input. Given 2000mB/t input, a 9x9x16 turbine should run at approximately 1800 rpm which is the higher of the sweet spots.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I used Fluid Ports outputting water from the Turbine directly into the Boilers. I used XU piping to mice the steam into the Turbine, as it was the only mod with high enough throughput.

The Turbine itself uses 36 blocks of Ludicrite for a coil with 80 blades. Output of this setup is 28krf/t (a touch over) while running just under 1800RPM.

I made a fueling system with a Lava Fabricator and a Fluid Transposer that recycles buckets to and from the boilers. Fed off the power of the Turbine, it is completely self sustaining for up to three Turbines.

I have some old pics I've been sitting on. Maybe I'll post them here when I get home.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I used Fluid Ports outputting water from the Turbine directly into the Boilers. I used XU piping to mice the steam into the Turbine, as it was the only mod with high enough throughput.

The Turbine itself uses 36 blocks of Ludicrite for a coil with 80 blades. Output of this setup is 28krf/t (a touch over) while running just under 1800RPM.

I made a fueling system with a Lava Fabricator and a Fluid Transposer that recycles buckets to and from the boilers. Fed off the power of the Turbine, it is completely self sustaining for up to three Turbines.

I have some old pics I've been sitting on. Maybe I'll post them here when I get home.
What? Does it worth making lava in a lava Fabricator burn it in a boiler and use the steam in a turbine?
If so = OP

@Ieldra Thx! I think what I¨m doing wrong then is the Steam input. I will check this.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Actually I think a "Coil" is any compatible materials inside or nearby the turbine multiblock. Have had huge issues with it when it started thinking the metals blocks I built the surrounds with were coils as well...

Still need to test out if it is possible to have ALL coil materials on the outside of the turbine :p

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I think a "Coil" is any compatible materials inside or nearby the turbine multiblock. Have had huge issues with it when it started thinking the metals blocks I built the surrounds with were coils as well...

Still need to test out if it is possible to have ALL coil materials on the outside of the turbine :p

You just made me wonder if multiple turbines could use the same "out of housing" coil. Someone needs to run tests immediately!

And yes, lava fueled turbines is a thing, and it is a very broken thing at that. I love mine. Before lava, I was using Blaze Rods from a dedicated Blaze Spawner/cursed earth farm. I couldn't keep up once the second turbine was built, so I was forced to seek alternatives.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You just made me wonder if multiple turbines could use the same "out of housing" coil. Someone needs to run tests immediately!
I really don't see why not.
Only doubts I have atm is whether there is some diminishing effect or exactly what the range is to keeping blocks outside the turbine.
Running some experiments as we speak.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
2015-05-18_22.32.04.png

2015-05-18_22.32.16.png

Seems like no coils are needed inside the turbine at all. But they do need to be placed orthogonally "inside" the offset of the interior. The ones I tried placing on the outer frame did not register(The turbine walls on the picture).

This is with BigReactors-0.3.4A2 in TPPI btw. This "feature" could have been removed since I suppose.

Suppose I could exploit this to upgrade the 2x turbines in my current world from 1732 MB/t to 2000mb/t without changing the outer dimensions and the decorations around them... Just hide a few Enderium blocks somewhere :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Inaeo

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
2015-05-18_23.06.39.png

Either there is some weird sidedness going on(and I somehow managed to pick just the wrong sides 3 times), or more likely each turbine somehow prevent other turbines from using their coil blocks.
The bottom one is registering the enderium above it, but the turbine above is not registering them. The top right turbine registers the enderium left of it, but the left turbine does not register it.

So looks like sharing coils is out of the picture :(

EDIT: It is a sidedness issue. Top and one side will register the coils, bottom and other side with not! It does not appear to be linked to which end the Rotor bearing is in, but probably linked to world coordinates. So coil sharing is definitely out of the picture...

No wonder I had so such a bloody hard time figuring out that blocks outside the turbine worked as coils in the first place when it is so apparently random lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dentvar and Inaeo

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
One suggestion I could make, is to have a back up system. I set my boiler up so that it could also supply Steam Dynamos (Directly against the boiler tanks.) So if I had to restart the system, I could throw in some water and fuel and have that jump start the tree farm.

That being said, I didn't actually find that I needed the full 2kmb/t for most of my purposes. I used a 5x5x6 in monster with gold blocks and had 1500 RF/t coming out of it, and that ended up sating my entire base's power needs. Of course, I tend to be much more power efficient than most people.

Chrisszzyy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys,

I’m playing Infinity 1.4.1 and have a MFR Jungel Wood farm working 24/7.

I’m getting to a point were converting all the charcoal to RF with Steam Dynamos is not worth it anymore and I’m thinking about getting 5x MFR Steam Boiler which from what I saw can create a 2000mb Steam/t.
This would fit perfectly to a Big Reactor Turbine supplied directly with steam without using a Reactor.

Now I found some information about them like for example this nice Google Doc from @Saice

But when I try this in a Test World I do not get good results. So I Have some questions.

• Best design if I have 2000mb/t available is the : Max Output Turbine High Speed. 9x9x14 Enderium 5 Coils 1 partial 37 blocks total. 7 rotors of 3 blades length. Right?
  • Then I have to supply all the Steam. What do you do? 5 Ports with 5 separated EnderIO Ender Fluid Conduits?
  • If I did everything right, my turbine just does not rotate fast enough. I know it need some time to get faster but even then it seems not to go over 1000RPM.
  • How is the mechanic for this? What manipulate the RPM¿ Steam throughput?

Lets see if you can give me some info. :)

No. A little late, but the most powerful turbine (As far as I know) you can build with 2000mB/t of steam being inputted is a turbine 16 blocks long, 7 blocks high and 7 blocks wide. The coil being a 3x3x4 (With a hollow middle) coil of Ludicrite Blocks with a shaft (Not including the one going through the coil) 10 blocks long, with 8 turbine blades per block (Two on each side of the shaft).

The ones I used to run in a station I'm rebuilding, generated around 28059RF/t with 2000mB/t of steam.

It ran at around 1781.6RPM but I had to disable the coil to get it up to that speed which it ran at rock solid after being enabled again.

It had four injectors as seen below and also four water outputs - You have to make sure the conduits going to each input face are being saturated with steam otherwise they'll not carry enough steam to the turbine. I.e. make sure enough input interfaces are set up on the reactor end to put steam into the conduit.

Old picture of one:

8vrVdYH.png

Not quite sure if 4 input interfaces are needed, but that's what I used.

Reactions: Dentvar

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not quite sure if 4 input interfaces are needed, but that's what I used.
If those are Ender IO ender fluid conduits with default configuration, you could get by with three inputs. Each one can move 800 mb/t of steam. That doesn't account for extraction though, they only extract 200 mb/t at a time.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If those are Ender IO ender fluid conduits with default configuration, you could get by with three inputs. Each one can move 800 mb/t of steam. That doesn't account for extraction though, they only extract 200 mb/t at a time.

EnderIO conduits were less than desirable (due to extraction/input limits) in my experiences. The only fluid transfer system I've found (in Infinity, anyway) to move the required amount of steam/water is XU's liquid nodes. I've minimized the piping needed by placing my MFR Boilers directly adjacent to the turbine, as they will auto-output steam into the Fluid Ports.

Chrisszzyy

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't account for extraction though, they only extract 200 mb/t at a time.

That's quite correct; to overcome this, I used Fluid Transfer Nodes (You can probably spot them on the other turbine in the picture) for the extraction of the water from the turbine and the steam from the reactor so I could extract more fluid from each output face :).

Here's what the reactor looked like - Bear in mind this was a Mk.2 reactor before all the experience I have accumulated since starting to mess around with this mod. Steam pipes are at the top - Each vertical row is one conduit going across the top of the turbine in my other photo. The cooling water coming from the intake caisson and back from the turbines are at the bottom.

You can see the Fluid Transfer Nodes being used to extract steam from the reactor and enabling me to use two interfaces on the conduit per node, doubling my input into the conduit per interface on the reactor. If you space them out, you can get 5 connections to the conduit from one Fluid Transfer Node:

tIFbA0n.png

Hope that explains it somewhat.

I've always used conduits and will continue to because of the ability to alter the values on the server if the scale of things gets too large. That setup is completely default though.

Reactions: Pyure

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Or just use a Tesseract on each of the ports as they auto-eject so no need for extraction... Unlimited fluid transfer and won't end up looking a complete mess

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I have 2 max-sized Turbines (16x9x9 outside dim), and in between them I have a 3 wide x 7 tall x 9 Big Reactor which runs both Turbines at the same time. Four fuel cell columns, 5 high, with three Gelid Cryotheum columns in between the fuel cell columns. The 3x7x9 reactor produces 4000 steam/tick using a ExtraUtil Transfer Node (liquid) with one stack of Speed and World Interaction upgrades each. I butt the Reactor Coolant Ports up against the Turbine Fluid Ports. Turn it on and forget about it! A 32x9x9 power monster, 50K+ RF/t!

Oh, I forgot, I also moderate the Reactor control rods, 2 are set to 15% and the other 2 set to 20%. I just keep lowering the rods until I was below 4000 steam/tick out of the reactor, then I bumped them up one notch once I found that point.