Big Reactor design for Passive reactor.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Hmm, I'll have to take another look at the code, but from what I gathered, fuel consumption can be accelerated or decelerated using fertility and heat but production is ALWAYS on a 1:1 scale.

I could be terribly wrong, if I am, we have a very cool concept on our hands!

Perhaps Erogenous Beef (still on of the best dev names ever) could add increased cyanide generation as an effect of an exotic coolant or something.

Yea there are quite a lot of neat features that could be added but will take some time to code and such. We'll just have to wait and see.

You could be right though I'm basing it from some other sources that have always been fairly reliable but I have not looked into the code myself in quite awhile.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I'll have to take another look at the code, but from what I gathered, fuel consumption can be accelerated or decelerated using fertility and heat but production is ALWAYS on a 1:1 scale.

I could be terribly wrong, if I am, we have a very cool concept on our hands!

Perhaps Erogenous Beef (still on of the best dev names ever) could add increased cyanide generation as an effect of an exotic coolant or something.

That. There is (in 0.3) no benefit to producing cyanite faster. Plus, according to the patch notes, Erogenous Beef has added a cyanite recipe.

Yep, a reactor like that would be the most fuel efficient but it wont generate much power if any.

No. Bunching the rods made the reactor run cooler, and have a greater fertility. i.e. There is so much slow radiation at the moment (in 0.3a) that its better to just pack fuel rods as that way, the existing slow radiation can reach more fuel rods before being dissapated.

Bunching the rods raised the power about 600RF/t, and dropped the fuel consumption (measured in mB/RF).

Last edited:

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
In what little reactor tests i've made so far, you always get exactly 1000mB of waste from 1000mB of fuel (1000mB is 1 ingot worth, be it yellorium, blutonium or cyanite).

Oh, i could make a bold claim that horizontal design of reactor determines its efficiency level and heat. Verticals would increase power output but keep power/fuel ratio same.

This design i used: http://imgur.com/a/QqSRe
is 6 blocks high, but original reactor was only 4 blocks. I think the amount of fuel it burns is double, but also produces double power. That is 2 fuel rods vs 4 fuel rods per control rod.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yes and while BR is far far removed from realism RL reactors don't produce more fuel then put in either. Where does that expectation come from in the FTB community?
There's no reason other then "becasue magic" to allow Big Reactors to go past anything other then a 1:1 fuel to waste ratio.

Se essentially all you'd need a less efficient reactor for is to produce that cyanite faster for whatever reason.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
In what little reactor tests i've made so far, you always get exactly 1000mB of waste from 1000mB of fuel (1000mB is 1 ingot worth, be it yellorium, blutonium or cyanite).

Oh, i could make a bold claim that horizontal design of reactor determines its efficiency level and heat. Verticals would increase power output but keep power/fuel ratio same.

This design i used: http://imgur.com/a/QqSRe
is 6 blocks high, but original reactor was only 4 blocks. I think the amount of fuel it burns is double, but also produces double power. That is 2 fuel rods vs 4 fuel rods per control rod.

When testing reactor designs I keep the number of fuel rods consistent (blocks). In all my tests of 9 rod and 12 rod reactors (varing from 12 control rod 3 high, to a single control rod 14m high reactor) I found that fuel efficiency improved as the reactor was made flatter. i.e. the 5x14x5 reactor performed the worst (in terms of kRF/mB) and the 9x3x7 performed the best (using space wasting grid layouts). I tried *every* variant (i.e. with 1, 2, 4, 6 and 12 control rods), using ender and cryotheum, of the 12 fuel rod reactors.

The actual increase in efficiency was not great, varying from ~70kRF/mB to ~78kRF/mB (For ender cooled reactors) - all outputting 6.2-6.6kRF/t.

The biggest increase in power output and effiency was when I dropped the rod spacing to made a compact core, that raised the power output to ~7.2kRF/t and the efficiency to ~80kRF/mB.

I am searching for a moderator material with a high moderation to absorbtion (i.e. with low absorbtion) ratio - gelid cryotheum is an excellent moderator, but its high absorption (90%?) might be inhibiting the radiation made available to fertilize the next rod - although I think that absorption only applies to moderated/slow radiation anyway, so this is probably a fools quest.

Last edited:

Doctor_Chuckles

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, all this moderator and radiation stuff is bowl shit. Just make a reactor to your desired size, checkered pattern you feulrods and add the best coolant you can. A reactor never uses much fuel at all. Radiation level is sky high, and so is heat? I'll bet you still don't use a millibuclet of fuel per tick. Face it, you have plenty of yellurium, and the bigger your reactor is, the more power it makes! This isn't a real life reactor nor life and death situation! Radiation and heat are all just bowl shit that isn't worth caring about! I've massive reactors with this pattern and I never used much fuel, given the size and rod content means it will hold more feud at one time.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, all this moderator and radiation stuff is bowl shit. Just make a reactor to your desired size, checkered pattern you feulrods and add the best coolant you can. A reactor never uses much fuel at all. Radiation level is sky high, and so is heat? I'll bet you still don't use a millibuclet of fuel per tick. Face it, you have plenty of yellurium, and the bigger your reactor is, the more power it makes! This isn't a real life reactor nor life and death situation! Radiation and heat are all just bowl shit that isn't worth caring about! I've massive reactors with this pattern and I never used much fuel, given the size and rod content means it will hold more feud at one time.

1. awesome necro.
2. The direwolf20 configs cause BR to chew through yellorium 10x faster. Depending on the design of your world eater - and power needs - this does make efficiency much more a practical consideration.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
1. awesome necro.
2. The direwolf20 configs cause BR to chew through yellorium 10x faster. Depending on the design of your world eater - and power needs - this does make efficiency much more a practical consideration.
As right as you are mr "bowl shit" here is equally right. The default is all that matters from a balance standpoint.
Default BigReactors is way too generous with power.

That being said for those popular packs that do tweak the settings, these efficiency discussions are not "bowl shit"

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is always 32 32.48 reactor with like 16 or More fuel rods and then Put the fuel rod Insertion to 99% and you will get about 200.000.000 rf per ingot with about 500.000 rf per Tick so building big is very efficient

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So what about a 15x15x255 reactor, checkerboard control rods and gelid cryotheum moderating and cooling.

It's an aspiration at least.

Doctor_Chuckles

Jul 29, 2019
No, that's just huge. Wasting in all was huge. I didn't know they changed the settings either, so, I still think it isn't worth this all, but I can see your reasoning.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
No, that's just huge. Wasting in all was huge. I didn't know they changed the settings either, so, I still think it isn't worth this all, but I can see your reasoning.

I also think that the Big Reactor Default Configs - and the purpose of this thread - are just fine given that, in the general case Yellorium is not a renewable resource. In which case the defaults - and an efficient reactor - means you can power your base with a casual approach to quarrying/mining.

OFC as soon as you add Mining Lasers / Bees / Some other renewable source of Yellorium then the efficiency discussion (in regards to default configs) is somewhat moot

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, it is just a mod that produces energy.

If BR isn't around, it will just be towers of engines(BC/RC/Forestry)/dynamos(TE)/generators(IC2/ExU).

And instead of Yellorium, people will have nether lava pumps, tree farms for charcoal, quarries for coal, bee colonies for renewable coal or oil, crops for renewable coal, etc etc.

In my own opinion, BR just gave us something that is convenient. So instead of lots of tile entities, we only need a few multiblock structures.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've always found that a 5x5x5 cube with a single rod and water coolant is excellent early power, and provides enough expandability for later designs. It also provides enough room for redstone control on a single side if you want it hidden.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I've always found that a 5x5x5 cube with a single rod and water coolant is excellent early power, and provides enough expandability for later designs. It also provides enough room for redstone control on a single side if you want it hidden.

Water doesnt realy do annything, leaving it out is just about the same thing (AKA bad). For early power, 5x3x3 or 4x4x3, no coolant is significantly better. Especially if you use fuel rod insertion.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
Try Out a 5 5 5 with 8 fuel rods and in the middle gelid cryrotheum fuel rod Insertion 85% and producing 1.800 rf per Tick very energy efficient