Big decision time... Start again without Biomes O Plenty?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for all your very generous help with queries i've had whilst getting stuck into modded Minecraft with the DW20 pack, so far I've really enjoyed all the mods and episodes... however I think I've made a rod for my own back.

Way back in December when I started the server, I selected 'Biomes O Plenty' as the terrain generator, thinking that it would result in more interesting terrain.

I think I now understand why it is disabled by default... I working to find a location for my 'Base 2.0' sight (Taking all i've learned and starting up a NEW base laid out just the way I want it with much less pipe spaghetti) I've been unable to locate anywhere to build.

I've searched thousands of blocks away from my current base and have discovered much to my horror that there is not one single plains Biome anywhere except the one I stumbled across when I spanwned inside a swamp (Actually, I spawned in quicksand!).

Issues I have with Biomes O Plenty

1. Terrain doesn't make any sense, snow next to desert, large tracts of 90 degree cuts through landscape
2. Huge oceans filled with these craters full of abyssal stone
3. Ravines everywhere, I don't mind some ravines, but you cant travel 100 blocks without a raving in the way
4. Cannot find any plains biomes (My preferred place to build bases)

So, I'm thinking... what do I do?

I think I could rebuild my base in a new world fairly quickly given what i've learned but it means leaving a LOT of cool things behind (as i know of no way to bring items from one world to another).

But I really don't like the world that's being generated.

It's a big call for me, it will take weeks to catch up to where I am now, but.. what are your thoughts? I'd be really interested to know.

Thanks,

Wuffle.

Reactions: RealSketch

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
BoP shows for some cool base desings, if you like flat, you can always make a mystcraft age or flat out an area by urself with a filler or something.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
1) this is vanilla minecraft's fault, although I think they are working on it, if you want terrain that makes sense try ATG although it is not in DW20.
2)I don't remember if the deep oceans are BoP or another mod like mariculture, the abysal stone is railcraft's.
3)can't help with the ravines, that is probably MC's fault. I thought there was a mod that limited them but I couldn't tell you what it was off the top of my head.
4) I have had this problem with finding deserts (and above water deserts at that) with BoP. What I have done is just used regular terrain gen personally and used mystcraft if I have a desire to visit fancy biomes. You could also add the biomes to the vanilla terrain gen in the BoP configs although I don't remember off the top of my head which lines to change, they were somewhere near the bottom though.

Bringing items from one world to another requires editing the .dat files with something like NBT edit, unless there is a mod that can do that (there might be actually) Or you can use NEI to save your player inventory and then load the save in the new world. This hopefully will copy everything including things like ME drives or strongboxes with their complete inventories.

Also : If you are OK with your world and just really want to build in a plains biome, try a mystcraft age, something like plains biome, single biome, (Normal length if that is an option) normal moon, normal sun, normal stars. You can also add in or try to exclude feature such as strongholds, ravines, mineshafts and the like.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Have a really good look at the configs for Biomes O Plenty, remove the biomes you don't want to see and add the ones you do. I also believe there is a Biomes O Plenty config option called Landmass Percentage, modifying this will basically change how much ocean there is. If you were playing Monster, you would also have ATG and Highlands which are both Biome Mods. If you want to try mixing them up, try copying over the Highlands mod and ATG mod into DW20 along with the configs from the monster pack (not all the configs, just highlands and ATG and maybe also BoP). Also all 3 mods (BoP, Highlands and ATG) can be enabled simultaneously.

ATG basically adds in temperature/climate maps into the game, so if you are in higher locations it is colder and may snow, if you are lower then it will be warmer. It also has some interesting configs to change if you wish. Just make sure to select the ATG World type as it will spawn BoP and Highlands at the same time

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively, check out Better World Generation 4. It attempts to make biomes more realistically placed without making everything massive (which is why I don't use ATG) and also adds some biomes which are nice for building.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Single biome Mystcraft age sounds like a good solution. Since it's just for building a base, and the world didn't see fit to provide you with the biome you wanted, I don't think it would be unreasonable to cheat in the necessary pages for it.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Does DW20 have the Twilight Forest? If so, I've built several based there (away from cicadas....) to good effect.

You can't set up a nether portal from in TF that I am aware of but you can use linking books to connect ot to your nether and overworld locations.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Does DW20 have the Twilight Forest? If so, I've built several based there (away from cicadas....) to good effect.

You can't set up a nether portal from in TF that I am aware of but you can use linking books to connect ot to your nether and overworld locations.
Keep in mind that if you build in the Twilight Forest solar power generation of any kind will not work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Have a really good look at the configs for Biomes O Plenty, remove the biomes you don't want to see and add the ones you do. I also believe there is a Biomes O Plenty config option called Landmass Percentage, modifying this will basically change how much ocean there is. If you were playing Monster, you would also have ATG and Highlands which are both Biome Mods. If you want to try mixing them up, try copying over the Highlands mod and ATG mod into DW20 along with the configs from the monster pack (not all the configs, just highlands and ATG and maybe also BoP). Also all 3 mods (BoP, Highlands and ATG) can be enabled simultaneously.

ATG basically adds in temperature/climate maps into the game, so if you are in higher locations it is colder and may snow, if you are lower then it will be warmer. It also has some interesting configs to change if you wish. Just make sure to select the ATG World type as it will spawn BoP and Highlands at the same time

pretty much this. Biome's o Plenty allows you to customize their biome generation, so if you want to use BoP, but don't want certain biomes, or want more of certain biomes, you can customize this all yourself

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
As much as I love Biome's O Plenty, it's one of the mods I leave for Mystcraft. IE, I turn it on, and then use default generation and let Mystcraft build BoP worlds. That way I get all the benefits without the hazards. I definitely want to try out Highlands, if only for Flying Mountains.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I love Biome's O Plenty, it's one of the mods I leave for Mystcraft. IE, I turn it on, and then use default generation and let Mystcraft build BoP worlds. That way I get all the benefits without the hazards. I definitely want to try out Highlands, if only for Flying Mountains.

I've been thinking it'd be nice if there was a default mechanic in Biome's o Plenty where all the biomes generate in a new dimension.
I know there's the promised land or whatever it's called, but a dimension like this would also be nice.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I like to have some variety, but you really do have to narrow down the list with BoP & make an extra effort to make sure you have at least 1 biome type for each gem if you want to get to the Promised Land. If I don't get to the point of actually summoning a new ender dragon this build, I may swap BoP out for ExtraBiomesXL in the next build. I hate having a seed with 80+ biomes active, but you keep seeing the same 5 over & over in a 5000 block radius around spawn.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just stoked for some of my favorite mods to be updated to 1.7 and I'll be satisfied with those biomes with, maybe, atg.

I don't mind having large biomes as it's just an excuse to build more rail lines and bridges.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Have a bit of mixed feeling about BoP, but when using it with ATG+Highlands in Monster is seems just right. It makes for some really amazing landscapes.
Small example of the view from one side of my little starting hovel:
w6oNMgb.png

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the great and helpful replies :)

I've decided to stick with where I am, starting all over would be a whole load of work. I'm definately going to check out Mystcraft though and maybe Applied Energistics to maybe reduce the amount of space my sprawling labyrinth of Assembly tables machines hooked up to creative pipes (200 assembly tables and automated tesseract assemblies etc).

I may make my 2.0 base... a sky base!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I may make my 2.0 base... a sky base!
For a sky or underwater base I would strongly recommend ATG after having tried it. Sky base for the magnificent mountains as a background view(what I have planned for my new build :p) or underwater base for the awesome underwater canyons that stretch all the way down to bedrock some places.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Have a bit of mixed feeling about BoP, but when using it with ATG+Highlands in Monster is seems just right. It makes for some really amazing landscapes.
Small example of the view from one side of my little starting hovel:

<pretty picture>
That looks like something out of the Lion Ling.

I really want to give ATG a go now, maybe with Highlands too.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That looks like something out of the Lion Ling.

I really want to give ATG a go now, maybe with Highlands too.
Hehe and that is not even one of the best details around spawn in the seed I am using :p When I get some transportation up and running I will try and post a few more snaps :)

Oh and just like any other world gen, it takes a few tries to get to the interesting seeds. Went through a lot of dull ones before I found 2 nice ones. But they are leagues ahead of other worldgens IMO!