Beyond single player laggy, launches slow

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I have found one of my biggest problems after I got garbage collection sorted a bit smoother was CPU heat. Granted, I play on an optimized potato, but the game would start off fine, then chug as my CPU fought for cool air. A good blow out and clean up along with replacing a busted fan has helped It would also make sense that letting it sit and idle would allow it to cool off again. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it's something else to consider if nothing else has worked thus far.

I had a similar situation that your post brought back to mind, except mine was a failed cooling fan on a video card. As the card got warmer things became slower.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I have found one of my biggest problems after I got garbage collection sorted a bit smoother was CPU heat. Granted, I play on an optimized potato, but the game would start off fine, then chug as my CPU fought for cool air. A good blow out and clean up along with replacing a busted fan has helped It would also make sense that letting it sit and idle would allow it to cool off again. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it's something else to consider if nothing else has worked thus far.
I'm not sure it was heat related, because the fan wasn't spinning up. However, I recalled that the last time i had this issue, it "fixed itself" after I left the comp of for half a day. So I shut it down for the night and net morning everything was fine again. I suspect this may have to do with clearing electrical components buffers and cache completely but I have no proof.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not sure it was heat related, because the fan wasn't spinning up. However, I recalled that the last time i had this issue, it "fixed itself" after I left the comp of for half a day. So I shut it down for the night and net morning everything was fine again. I suspect this may have to do with clearing electrical components buffers and cache completely but I have no proof.

Clearing buffers/flags/connections etc. should take at most a couple of minutes... If you saw an improvement the most plausible reason is that all your components have cooled to room temperature. Depending on your hardware your CPU can run up to 90 degrees centigrade on mediocre air cooling with overclocking... Then you also have GPU and RAM temperatures to take into account.

As an example, my new Ryzen 5 1600 system runs at about 40C with stock fans and timing ([email protected], Ram@2133MHz). When I use the ASUS "AI suite" to auto-clock the system based on conditions I run [email protected] Ram@2933MHz at about 59C. With aftermarket cooling that would be higher since the auto-clocker is set to not run over 61C.

S

sonsofsparda

Do you have ICBM classic installed? disabling it solved it for me

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Every time I scroll my eyes over this thread title, I can't help but see it as "FTB: Beyond Single Player - Forever Alone Edition"

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The origin of this post is nearly 2 years ago... Surely the lag isn't THAT bad :D