Beyond single player laggy, launches slow

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Once again having issues with java hogging cpu. Started a single player Beyond game last week and everything was fine, then suddenly after many many hours of game play it became laggy. When I rebooted game it took at least 5x longer to launch. My efforts to solve this have failed. I had the same issue with Infinity awhile back, not even sure what solved it and I cant find my post. Any way, any suggestions that might lead to a fix would be very much appreciated. CPU usage went from around 30% to 75-90%.

Machine is i3 with 12GB DDR3 Ballistix sport RAM.

Thanks.

Reactions: thunderbolt_6

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
same here, sometimes when i play the cpu is over 65% and sometimes not over 60%.
i have another problem too, slow chunk generation on both cases :(

Reactions: Baron_Falcon

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Check and make sure you're not using huge amounts of RAM, or possibly use something to trim down your world size if you've done a lot of exploration.

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
Check and make sure you're not using huge amounts of RAM, or possibly use something to trim down your world size if you've done a lot of exploration.
the thing is, i launch the beyond pack, create a new world, wait about 4 min to stabilize, and the try to explore, in that explore the chunks are creating slow
my pc: fx8150 @4.ghz ,ddr3 16gb 1600, gtx660oc, win10 pro x64

Reactions: Baron_Falcon

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I'm having the slow chunk loading issue also, which started the same time the lag and slow launching began. My cpu is smaller than yours so that would explain the difference in percentage. It's using roughly 5GB of RAM when loaded, but Infinity used 4+ so that didn't concern me and thats still not half of my total. Your machine looks more than powerful enough lol.

fps is 3-5 right now. :/ video settings are optimized at 60fps and rendering at 5 chunks, fast graphics, clouds and bobbing off, particles minimum. I had about 195 MC days when it started and hadn't been exploring much after some early game cruising. Ive done a little exploring in the nether but nothing major, and i hadnt been there for some timme when the issues began. I also get the "waiting for server" notification now. I have noticed some issues using rf tools builder as a quarry, when using the feature that shows area being worked, it didnt go away when I moved the quarry till i flew over the chunks that were loaded previously.

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
if u have nvidia, try to put the java process in maximum perfomance, with vsync off, and triple buffer off and the threaded optimization off. it helped me a bit, im having 50-70 fps(12 view distance and fancy)

And about the chunk slow generation.... im still waiting some hero comes and save the day T.T (this hapened to me also on infinity 1.7.10)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@Baron_Falcon: What's your GPU? I know Minecraft isn't particularly GPU hungry, but I'm wondering if perhaps that's the culprit. I've got a 750, and it behaves perfectly well.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
King its integral with a Core i3 5015U, one of the reasons I upgraded the RAM to 12GB.

Also, update; magically this afternoon everything is working fine. One thing I noticed while having issues was a lot of "background services" running. None of them were using a lot of resources, but, when they were running, java was freaking out and using high cpu. So was flash/chrome while streaming, even html5.

So currently java is using 30-40% cpu and 6.2GB RAM, and is running silky smooth. I'm also streaming video that uses the aforementioned flash player, and the total cpu use is just over 50%. Yesterday an attempt to run the same combo locked up my comp at +100%cpu, today its super smooth and responsive with 60fps.

So, I still have no idea what caused it. However, in my exhaustive research the last time it did this, I read several places that when Win10 updates, it takes forever for it to "organize" all the files. Maybe thats it, I have no other reasonable explanation.

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
King its integral with a Core i3 5015U, one of the reasons I upgraded the RAM to 12GB.

Also, update; magically this afternoon everything is working fine. One thing I noticed while having issues was a lot of "background services" running. None of them were using a lot of resources, but, when they were running, java was freaking out and using high cpu. So was flash/chrome while streaming, even html5.

So currently java is using 30-40% cpu and 6.2GB RAM, and is running silky smooth. I'm also streaming video that uses the aforementioned flash player, and the total cpu use is just over 50%. Yesterday an attempt to run the same combo locked up my comp at +100%cpu, today its super smooth and responsive with 60fps.

So, I still have no idea what caused it. However, in my exhaustive research the last time it did this, I read several places that when Win10 updates, it takes forever for it to "organize" all the files. Maybe thats it, I have no other reasonable explanation.
sooo, the final thougs is win update? services?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
After reading through some of your issues, my first thought is bad Java garbage collection. Particularly if you have other things running in the background, Java can damn near eat itself trying to run its garbage collection. Depending upon your arguments and amount of RAM allocation, this can range from microstutters (small lag spikes regularly every 20+30 seconds) or dispersed stalls (as garbage collection saves up for one big push) and a plethora of other things in between.

I've had better results using a string of arguments found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/5jhuk9/modded_mc_and_memory_usage_a_history_with_a/
Note that many launchers will add their own arguments (Curse in particular overrides a few of them and adds it's own junk) so this may not work in those cases. Using a launcher that doesn't add random crap to the argument line is recommended for best results.

I'm not saying that this will fix all your problems, but its a start. I know chunk generation speed increased greatly after I tweaked my settings. The pack still takes a day and a half to load, but that's what I get for playing on a glorified abacus.

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
that method of garbage colection is a bit outdated, there is better ones:

-Xms512M -Xmn768m -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=30 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=2048m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:parallelGCThreads=10

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, integrated Graphics will definitely do it. Might want a low end discrete graphics card. An nVidia 750 is more than sufficient for Minecraft and most other games. And with an i3, it'll probably not be a bottleneck anyway.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Note that the effectiveness of the last argument that Thunderbolt listed, XX:parallelGCThreads, is dependent on the number of cores that your cpu has. Using more garbage collector threads than you have cores isn't gonna help much.

Also, I was going to suggest looking at something I haven't heard of in a long while: the Java "cache". But I'm glad you seem to have solved it, so I'm not gonna.

Sent from my torture dungeon in the hills of Mumbai.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
It's possible slow launching and low frame rate is caused by having mipmap set too high, if it isn't set to 0 try dropping it and seeing if it helps.

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
It's possible slow launching and low frame rate is caused by having mipmap set too high, if it isn't set to 0 try dropping it and seeing if it helps.
nope it have the same issue, i have default disabled aa, anisotropic, mipmap, and other stuff like that.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Note that the effectiveness of the last argument that Thunderbolt listed, XX:parallelGCThreads, is dependent on the number of cores that your cpu has. Using more garbage collector threads than you have cores isn't gonna help much.

Also, I was going to suggest looking at something I haven't heard of in a long while: the Java "cache". But I'm glad you seem to have solved it, so I'm not gonna.

Sent from my torture dungeon in the hills of Mumbai.

I'm interested in this java cache. I'm still having the lag problem intermittently and it doesnt seem to be connected to updates exclusively. It seems to correct itself after leaving the computer idle for a long period of time.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so just an update on my issues, to add to the data as it were. I cleared java cache, no difference. In fact it seems to be loading even slower. One thing I have noticed is when the game is super laggy and unplayable, even the FTB launcher loads very slow. I can pretty much predict if the game will be playable or not by how fast the launcher boots. I'm going to look into the garbage collection suggested by Inaeo, however looking at the link earlier, that process looks pretty intimidatin. Just to recap, whenever this issue presents itself, the CPU spikes to over 80% for Java which of course sends total CPU to max, RAM stays normal around 4.6mc/ 6Gb total (out of 12Gb), and disk is around 1-2%, so CPU is the only resource affected. I have been playing Direwolf this week while streaming his Lets Play Youtube series in HD on the same machine with zero problems.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have found one of my biggest problems after I got garbage collection sorted a bit smoother was CPU heat. Granted, I play on an optimized potato, but the game would start off fine, then chug as my CPU fought for cool air. A good blow out and clean up along with replacing a busted fan has helped It would also make sense that letting it sit and idle would allow it to cool off again. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it's something else to consider if nothing else has worked thus far.