Beyond and Lag

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping someone smarter than me could help me understand some things. I have been playing various FTB packs, including Infinity, on a private server for around 6 months now. I recently switched to Beyond and how I am getting lag. I play fine for an hour or so and then I start getting a stutter every 10-15 seconds. I look at the server console and the ram is basically full, which I understand is part of the problem, but what I don't understand is why completely closing Minecraft and Curse (but not restarting the server) clears the problem for another hour or so. I did download Optifine and that helped some.

I should also note my pc is pretty current, a 2.7ghz quadcore with 12g ram, and 2g graphic card. I have a 50mb download speed.

Last edited:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I have 4g allocated to it and I did see a crash report somewhere said something about tick lag.

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like optifine due to how it tends to mess up most other mods (especially Tinkers), but I was having this same problem until I added Surge to the pack. Now I'm not having the problem.

AndersWithTheCat

Jan 23, 2013
Denmark
from what i know theres something in the pack, since we have been testing a bunch of stuff diffrent installs etc. and there just seems to be something wrong with the pack in general.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
For what it's worth, Beyond is far and away the best running 1.10 pack I've played, including a few with far lower mod count. I have had occasional stutters after lengthy play sessions, but fewer and further between than anything since 1.7. I've begun to chalk up most of the lag stutters I experience to Java trying to eat itself during intense garbage collection, and I've been trying to decipher how this process works and how to help it do its job without pissing me off. This Reddit post ( https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/5jhuk9/modded_mc_and_memory_usage_a_history_with_a/ ) helped me not only understand a bit better, but find a set of arguments that has removed the majority of stutter from my game (I play on a potato, so every little bit helps). Maybe this can help, or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it's info for all who would read it.

W

WowMike2002

I have actually had much more stutter/tick lag in this pack then any other. These are the two largest issues:

*Block Placing/Breaking, Had to install Optifine to clear it up... and even then it is still noticeable.
*Water Source/Flowing - Major Lag!

I have a fantastic computer, MSI 1070 GTX, AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz, 2x 500gb RAID-0 SSD's, 16gb Memory (Have given the game everywhere from 5gb-12gb and still the same issue),

I have my laptop running an i7 4700HQ w/ 10gb memory dedicated to the server as my host on my gigabit network.

Whether I have my laptop hosting or playing single player, there is always the exact same issues.

We also ran into teh issue where we had to roll back our Nvidia GPU drivers because MInecraft would not load 1.10+, supposedly it was fixed with the latest patch.

Anyone else having these issues, by chance?

Currently on Beyond 1.3, have been playing since the first edition adn updated every time hoping it would fix itself.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam

I've had similar issues with this actually (with water flow and block placement)

I have an FX-6300 and a GTX 760 with 12 gb of RAM myself. I have so far avoided water as much as possible because of this.

Edit: as for the gpu problems, I'm on the latest drivers and it's fixed for me

W

WowMike2002

I had installed Optifine back on FTB Skyfactory 3 to fix a few of these issues (It shares these -exact- same issues, for being a Skyblock game.. that should never happen). It must be somethign with hte version of 1.10 and FTB combining together.. it just is not good.

Optifine does not work with FTB Beyond 1.3, it just won't load. Had to remove the pack to get Minecraft to load again through the FTB Classic launcher.

Edit:
As an update, my i7 4700HQ and 870m on my laptop have this same issue, incredibly block lag and water flowing lag.

J

Jeffwcollins

The FTB Team assigns the Memory Limits on the Servers for specific reasons. The FTB Beyond pack is meant for a Small Server population due to the limitations in the Mods and the Code behind them with regards to Java itself. More memory given to the Server is for short term gains only and causes long term issues. With Servers that are running more than about four gig, the java garbage collection takes exponentially longer to run, causing noticeable lag. Keep your servers running between 3Gb and 4Gb for single or small populated servers, and 4Gb to 6Gb MAX for servers running larger populations, or if there are A LOT of chunks being chunk loaded through either the FTBUtils or Chicken Chunkloaders. I suggest reducing the memory on the server and give that a go to see if it reduces the frequency and the length of the lag that you are encountering.

W

WowMike2002

The FTB Team assigns the Memory Limits on the Servers for specific reasons. The FTB Beyond pack is meant for a Small Server population due to the limitations in the Mods and the Code behind them with regards to Java itself. More memory given to the Server is for short term gains only and causes long term issues. With Servers that are running more than about four gig, the java garbage collection takes exponentially longer to run, causing noticeable lag. Keep your servers running between 3Gb and 4Gb for single or small populated servers, and 4Gb to 6Gb MAX for servers running larger populations, or if there are A LOT of chunks being chunk loaded through either the FTBUtils or Chicken Chunkloaders. I suggest reducing the memory on the server and give that a go to see if it reduces the frequency and the length of the lag that you are encountering.

I will drop it down, but it still won't answer why this lag is appearing in 1.10 and I have never had the issue in any prior packs, since 1.6.4. Mostly the flowing water and breaking block stutters.. I have felt it on a brand new SkyFactory 3 (1.10) server just placing water to make a cobblestone generator. That doesn't equate to a garbage cleanup by any means, I wonder if it is an issue caused by the specific version of minecraft and some sort of mod integration with it, by chance?

Definitely going to try this though, if it works.. good to go! I am wondering more if it is something to do with our GPU drivers having issues with it, or a specific version of Java causing it (I have Java updated to 1.8.0_121-b13) Both 32 bit+64 bit installed.

D

Daihok

What does the Mod Surge actually do? I have looked at it but not quite sure what it does exactly.

J

Jeffwcollins

... or a specific version of Java causing it (I have Java updated to 1.8.0_121-b13) Both 32 bit+64 bit installed.

Did you mean that you have tried both, or that you currently have both installed?

If so, it's recommended that you have one or the other and not both. If you have a 64bit system, and you don't have any other applications other than minecraft that uses java, I recommend using 64bit only. It's a bit faster, and has the capability to use the range of ~3.5 to 4Gb of ram MUCH more efficiently, and finally and most importantly it supports more than 4Gb or ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Reddis

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
The feedback on this post is fantastic! I especially like hearing from those of you who truly understand java and coding for minecraft!

It is in my (admittedly limited understanding) opinion that there is a code conflict somewhere in Beyond 1.10. I base this assertion on the fact that the lag occurs for me in single player and on a server both, with a lot of ram and very little ram allocated either one, and does not occur on any other pack, including All the Mods, which is just as big, if not bigger (didn't look up exact mod counts for either).

Can I prove anything I just said? No. Just personal experience.

W

WowMike2002

The feedback on this post is fantastic! I especially like hearing from those of you who truly understand java and coding for minecraft!

It is in my (admittedly limited understanding) opinion that there is a code conflict somewhere in Beyond 1.10. I base this assertion on the fact that the lag occurs for me in single player and on a server both, with a lot of ram and very little ram allocated either one, and does not occur on any other pack, including All the Mods, which is just as big, if not bigger (didn't look up exact mod counts for either).

Can I prove anything I just said? No. Just personal experience.

Two thumbs up!

Yeah, I have been having this issue on any of the big 1.10 packs regardless of patch version on both SkyFactory 3 and on Beyond.. wish we knew what it could be!

I do understand the tech and hardware side of things.. but the code itself I am not familiar with, my knowledge comes from SQL and Database Administration.. so I do understand how garbage collection/cleanup works, but sadly not how it relates to what 1.10 is specifically doing.

I have tried every variable I could change on my end, rather frustrating to a degree. :-(

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
With my computer, Beyond has actually been the best performing 1.10 pack I've played, including a much smaller custom pack. Every system seems to handle each pack differently, and unfortunately Java garbage collection seems to work differently on each rig as well. Finding the perfect balance that works for your system and pack is a quest unto itself, and unfortunately copying someone else's answers can only serve to point you in the right direction.

W

WowMike2002

With my computer, Beyond has actually been the best performing 1.10 pack I've played, including a much smaller custom pack. Every system seems to handle each pack differently, and unfortunately Java garbage collection seems to work differently on each rig as well. Finding the perfect balance that works for your system and pack is a quest unto itself, and unfortunately copying someone else's answers can only serve to point you in the right direction.

Mind listing what processor and GPU you are running perchance? Mostly interested in the GPU, since very recently Nvidia had a patch that broke FTB and had to be downgraded to run.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Mind listing what processor and GPU you are running perchance? Mostly interested in the GPU, since very recently Nvidia had a patch that broke FTB and had to be downgraded to run.

I don't have my specs in front of me, but suffice to say my computer is the Frankenstein made with leftovers and hand-me-downs from over seven years ago. My phone has a more powerful processor, I'm almost certain.

I heard about the Nvidia diver issue before I bothered to update, so i sat that out. I only recently bothered to update to the newer (fixed) version, but I didn't notice much change - better or worse.