Best way to get energy for furncaces etc?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
hello ftb community,

Im looking for a good way to get energy, and store it in an MFE or something like that.

The energy is used for my, pulverizer, furnaces and so on

Hope someone you can help me out!! :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The best way is the way that works best for you.

Apologies if that is not what you wanted to hear, but it's simply the truth. People telling you to build a nuclear reactor won't help if you don't have any uranium. People telling you to build a steam turbine won't help if you don't have a steam boiler and the fuel to run it. People telling you to build solar panels won't help you if you're playing with the Mindcrack pack because you need a ton of infrastructure to build the adjusted recipe there.

Now, if you're just looking for a way that works well, we can help you better. First things first though, you need to pay attention to which machines you are building and which mod they are coming from. That is because different mods use different kinds of energy, and your attempts to fuel Buildcraft compatible machines like the pulverizer with Industrialcraft power from a MFE will fail.

To power your pulverizer, try building a hobbyist's steam engine and placing it directly next to the pulverizer. Then give it coal and water, and apply a redstone signal (lever or redstone torch next to the engine). It should begin burning coal and gain temperature and, once above 100°C, it will start turning water into steam and begin to move. It will reach top speed after 2-3 minutes. For storage, the pulverizer has an internal energy buffer, but there is no early-game storage device for Buildcraft power. Later on you will be able to build redstone energy cells, though, which do exactly that.

Reactions: Kristian

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
But, im not sure how to get the electricity

I want a couple of MFE/Storage units in middle of my town, and get the power from there with glass fibre cables etc

So isn't there a way I can get power from something - store it - use it in ALL my machines?

Hope this isn't to much to ask for.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, you want to use EU machines, like the macerator (not the pulverizer). Use generators with charcoal or geothermal generators (or later on thermal generators from gregtech) with lava. Explore the different gregtech generators (diesel, semi-fluid, ...) for other options. Or use the petrogen.
Wind and water are only really usable small scale, because in large amounts the sheer number of micro packets will be a big source of lag. Solar is ok with the lag, if you use the higher tier ones, but on MindCrack they are pretty expensive.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
I actually like to create Factorization setup for free smelting and to triple your ores early on in the game. I know most people hate blowing up diamond block for that purpose alone, but i play Mindcrack with hardmode GregTech, so i can't just make a quarry early on for endless stream of resources.

But even without that you can make a small setup with a couple stacks of lead and silver to get free energy for your furnaces.

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Yea - The Macerator

But I just thought I could have a unit to storage all my power, and take all the power from there

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
But, im not sure how to get the electricity

I want a couple of MFE/Storage units in middle of my town, and get the power from there with glass fibre cables etc

So isn't there a way I can get power from something - store it - use it in ALL my machines?

Hope this isn't to much to ask for.

There are two main power systems in FTB from two major mods: Buildcraft power (BC, measured in Minecraft Joules - MJ), and IndustrialCraft power (IC, measured in Energy Units - EU). In addition to that there are two minor ones: Charge (from Factorization) and Blutricity (from Redpower). At first I recommend you to focus on the first two, or even just one of them. While several machines can accept multiple types of power, and there are some very lossy conversions from one type to another, for the most part you will want to power each machine by its "preferred" power source.

If this is all mumbo-jumbo to you, I recommend reading or watching some tutorials on getting started with the mods. Direwolf20's LP series is a good place to start.

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all of your inputs! :) I will start watching tutorials and such, now I know what power and so on

pattym

Jul 29, 2019
My current power system I use is pretty simple... Well ish. Lol. I'm currently focusing on the MJ power usage machines (Buildcraft, Forestry and Thermal Expansion) so for this I started off with 4 steam engines from thermal expansion just so I could get my machines running. This is very inefficient and doesn't produce much power however this allowed me to build all the machines required to move to the magmatic engines (also from thermal expansion) and have the power feed into an redstone energy cell. Using netherrack in a magma crucible will produce enough lava to run magmatic engines and have some left over power to run your machines. I currently have 3 which only produce a total of 12MJs but I have my redstone energy cell set to only output 10MJ meaning it'll slowly gets a store of power.

The good thing about this system is that it's easy to get netherrack and a lot of it. Yes it's not the best way to produce power or is it the fastest but I feel its a good way to start. Lava can also be used in geothermal or thermal generators to make EU power. And if your using the mindcrack version there's a few other ways to get lava to such as bees. You could even use lava cans and collect it from the nether but don't forget to use a liquid transposer so you keep your cans. ;)

This is another possible option for you but don't be afraid to try something new. Sometimes I like to google a new machine from time to time just to see what it does. :)

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
I have found an amazing beginning and possibly end game power set up. Its lava. I pump it out of the nether, use a liquid transposer to transfer the lava into a can and then the can is sent to an ender chest. In the overworld, the lava can is pulled out and a liquid transposer takes the lava out and puts it into an iron tank. You can use the lava to power Magmatic Engines but i use Biomass engines since I have quad forestry tree farms. The engines will be your MJ source of power. I power a redstone energy cell with all my engines. For EU, you can pump the lava in Geothermal/Thermal generators to power a MFE/MFSU, etc. To give you an idea of what you can do, I have 28 Biogas engines running without a problem. Each engine produces 5 MJ, so 5 x 28 = 140 MJ/t. More than enough to power a redstone energy cell. You can add more engines, more generators, more redstone energy cells, etc.