Best way to get a Silk Touch enchant in Monster?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I need one for my QuarryPlus... so don't tell me about TiCo Silky Touch, I already know. I need an actual, basic, simple, vanilla, Silk Touch I enchant - either in book form or tool.

I've put hundreds of books thru an MFR Auto-Enchanter now, using level 30, and still have not gotten a single Silk Touch I or Fortune III enchant. I've gotten two Unbreaking III's. And I've lost track of how many useless enchants like Bane of Arthropods IV or Lockpicking IV I've gotten. It's beyond absurd.

So I figured I'd post and see if anyone has the answer, somebody usually does. My approach is a big fat fail, so what am I doing wrong, and what should I do instead?

ryter78

Jul 29, 2019
If I were you, I would do a high level enchant on any kind of pick you could automate the creation of, and once you get silk touch, just use a disenchanter to put the enchant into a book.

Reactions: asb3pe

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I need one for my QuarryPlus... so don't tell me about TiCo Silky Touch, I already know. I need an actual, basic, simple, vanilla, Silk Touch I enchant - either in book form or tool.
If you have control over the server files, or can persuade the one who does, add Enchanting Plus.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I've put hundreds of books thru an MFR Auto-Enchanter now, using level 30, and still have not gotten a single Silk Touch I or Fortune III enchant. I've gotten two Unbreaking III's. And I've lost track of how many useless enchants like Bane of Arthropods IV or Lockpicking IV I've gotten. It's beyond absurd.

Its because you are using books. Make gold pickaxe and send it through. When it has silktouch on then extract it using the auto-disenchanter. It will cost gold, but its worth the price.

Reactions: asb3pe and rhn

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
You can take the enchantments off Bedrock equipment using an Auto-disenchanter, but that causes the pick to break completely as a result. If you have bedrock grinding set up, it's probably the quickest way. Other options are Thaumcraft's Infusion Enchanting and Thaumic Tinkerer's Osmotic Enchanter, if you have a decent Thaumcraft setup.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well I let my Auto-Enchanter work all night long, and in my opinion the thing is either bugged or has been programmed in some way to do nothing but frustrate the player (by giving us a bazillion Mariculture enchantments, for instance, but almost no vanilla enchants).

So yeah, thanks for the advice, now I'll try using golden tools instead of books in the thing and see what happens. Gold is expensive, yeah, but that's why we have bees. :D

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well I let my Auto-Enchanter work all night long, and in my opinion the thing is either bugged or has been programmed in some way to do nothing but frustrate the player (by giving us a bazillion Mariculture enchantments, for instance, but almost no vanilla enchants).

So yeah, thanks for the advice, now I'll try using golden tools instead of books in the thing and see what happens. Gold is expensive, yeah, but that's why we have bees. :D
The Auto-enchanter does what it is supposed to: pick enchants from the list randomly. Problem lies in when adding all the mods that adds tons of random enchants to the list.

But if you are after very specific, why not use specific tools/armour/whatever in the enchanter instead of books? That way you can control better what type of enchants you get. Then throw them through the dis-enchanter to get them onto books. So for Silk touch just set the auto-enchanter to enchant a lot of cheap to make pickaxes(or maybe shears if they work? don't they only take silk touch?). You can probably take advantage of the fact that the auto-enchanter can enchant items that can otherwise not be directly enchanted.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The Auto-enchanter does what it is supposed to: pick enchants from the list randomly. Problem lies in when adding all the mods that adds tons of random enchants to the list.

But if you are after very specific, why not use specific tools/armour/whatever in the enchanter instead of books? That way you can control better what type of enchants you get. Then throw them through the dis-enchanter to get them onto books. So for Silk touch just set the auto-enchanter to enchant a lot of cheap to make pickaxes(or maybe shears if they work? don't they only take silk touch?). You can probably take advantage of the fact that the auto-enchanter can enchant items that can otherwise not be directly enchanted.

Understood, I gathered that was the point the others were making too. And yes, it's a very valid point that using a tool will "narrow down" the available enchants. I like your idea of shears as well, that could indeed be the "narrowest" of all.

I've been letting it run, and I just checked it. In a mere 15 minuted I already have a Fortune III pickaxe in the chest, and also at least one Silk Touch pickaxe. I can take it from here and get it onto my Quarry... THANK YOU, ALL HELPFUL FTB'ERS! <3

I can almost guarantee it is NOT random at all... Not when I got 50 books of "Persistence IV" or "Leapfrog III", but in the same time frame I only get one book of "Fortune III" and zero books of "Silk Touch I".

No matter - my problem is now solved thanks to the logical brains of our fellow Forum'ers. Much obliged.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I can almost guarantee it is NOT random at all...

Well.. it is random. As much as RNG's can be. The problem is that each individual RNG, over time, seems to end up preferring certain sets of values. I don't know why that is, not sure anyone does. It's just an odd behavior of RNG's to not seem very "random". I get this problem all the time when I set my music player on random but keep getting the same 12 songs (out of hundreds).

Jnelso99

Feb 24, 2013
I'm tremendously lazy, so I usually end up installing Thebombzen's EnchantView mod and keep trying with the same pickaxe over and over until I get the enchantment that I'm looking for.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well.. it is random. As much as RNG's can be. The problem is that each individual RNG, over time, seems to end up preferring certain sets of values. I don't know why that is, not sure anyone does. It's just an odd behavior of RNG's to not seem very "random". I get this problem all the time when I set my music player on random but keep getting the same 12 songs (out of hundreds).

If I had to guess, I'd say each potential enchantment has a "weighting" to it... in other words, it might be 100 times more likely to get a Mariculture enchantment than it is to get a Vanilla enchantment, because they've "weighted" the Mariculture to be 100 times more common than the other spells. You would do this by saying, choose a random number between 1 and 1000. If the number is exactly "2", then give the player a Silk Touch book. If the number comes up between 800 and 899, give the player a Mariculture spellbook. That's what I mean by "weighting". You COULD still be getting perfectly random numbers out of the RNG generator, but the weighting hides that fact.

Who knows, who cares, right? :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If I had to guess, I'd say each potential enchantment has a "weighting" to it... in other words, it might be 100 times more likely to get a Mariculture enchantment than it is to get a Vanilla enchantment, because they've "weighted" the Mariculture to be 100 times more common than the other spells. You would do this by saying, choose a random number between 1 and 1000. If the number is exactly "2", then give the player a Silk Touch book. If the number comes up between 800 and 899, give the player a Mariculture spellbook. That's what I mean by "weighting". You COULD still be getting perfectly random numbers out of the RNG generator, but the weighting hides that fact.

Who knows, who cares, right? :)
When something is truly random, this also means it includes the chance of "throwing the 6 with a dice" a thousand times in a row. So in the beginning you will see "patterns". But with enough people throwing dice for long enough the it will start converging towards completely random. With just one person throwing the dice a limited amount of times it is very unlikely to get a evenly distributed outcome.

What you actually want @asb3pe is a weighing system to make it seem more evenly distributed. And that is not random.

The problem with the playlist is that we really don't want it to be true random. We want it to play close to all the songs once in a random order. And good music players will do this(or even weigh songs less played/new songs to be played more often etc.).

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with the playlist is that we really don't want it to be true random. We want it to play close to all the songs once in a random order. And good music players will do this(or even weigh songs less played/new songs to be played more often etc.).

Yep, winamp's "randomizer" setting (Options-Preferences-Playlist) includes a slider for "Shuffle Morph Rate" - on the slow end, the randomized playlist doesn't change very much, but on the fast morph end it changes dramatically - basically I guess it's like adding a second randomizer to the already randomized list, for further randomization. :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I got Silk Touch on my QuarryPlus... thanks! Another question, this time on the PumpPlus. Here is what it says in the QuarryPlus wiki:

"You can get liquids if you place it next to MiningWellPlus or QuarryPlus.
At default, liquid is volatilized in re login.
Unbreaking Enchant produce working with less energy.
Fortune enchant produce drain bigger area liquids.
Silktouch enchant produce liquid is not volatilized in re login."

Two questions - apparently "Efficiency" enchant doesn't do anything for PumpPlus? And what does the odd wording about re login mean? Basically, the PumpPlus requires no power to operate? And any liquids it collects just magically go away without us having to do anything, unless you use Silk Touch and then you can pipe the fluids to a storage tank?

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
While not silk touch, a great way to get armor/weapon enchants is to build a diamond dolly and nab some spawners from the lowest levels of a roguelike dungeon and build a grinder room. Lots of diamond gear with random enchantments!
For ST, though, I'd go with randomly L30 enchanting of cheap gear, or the bedrock pickaxe.