Best overall pve weapon tinkers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
T

Truman Brown

I've seen far too many threads with different answers so I have a simple question.
What is the best weapon and modifiers to do general pve stuff in ftb (killing mobs, going to the nether, fighting bosses)
I have plenty of materials so that is not a problem
Also I am using a 1.5 version of the modpack of FTB unleashed if any patches will have changed?
I don't care about pvp, I already have a rapier to use.
Thank you if you have an answer! ;)

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to put the version number in the title as even within MC1.7 there were several massive changes, and the 1.8 version is completely different too.

That said, what's stopping you from going into a test world and just trying out all "reasonable" options? Everyone has a different style, so lay out your personal priorities first (durability, easy repair, one-shotting specific foes etc.) and then look for the component that best matches your specifications. Unless something was way different back then you want something for repair (cheap "main" material or moss/battery upgrade) followed by luck/lapis and fill the rest up with quartz.

T

Truman Brown

You might want to put the version number in the title as even within MC1.7 there were several massive changes, and the 1.8 version is completely different too.

That said, what's stopping you from going into a test world and just trying out all "reasonable" options? Everyone has a different style, so lay out your personal priorities first (durability, easy repair, one-shotting specific foes etc.) and then look for the component that best matches your specifications. Unless something was way different back then you want something for repair (cheap "main" material or moss/battery upgrade) followed by luck/lapis and fill the rest up with quartz.
what would you say the reasonable options are?
I could mess around with modifiers and materials after that but Im clueless on the reasonable options on day-day mob battling

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
Well, most materials are just intermediate upgrades. There's only one max durability number, only one max attack damage and so on. Which of the stats you want to min-max may differ, but once you fix that your choices are very limited. For example in 1.7 (without ExtraTiC or other addons) Manyullin is the only option for max attack damage, and only paper, Thaumium and magical wood give additional modifiers.
For daily mob killing the main factors will be how often you actually fight them, do you need the loot, do you need more defense to survive and which resources you have available for repairs ("resources" include time/sunlight for auto-repair and RF/EU if those options existed back then)

T

Truman Brown

What would be the best material/weapon for highest single hit damage?

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure which of this existed back then, but without ExtraTiC Manyullin is the most damaging material, and Cleavers have the highest weapon type bonus. As only the blade contributes to damage the other parts can be made of paper with the extra modifiers spent on quartz. Cleavers apply Mining Fatigue though and Manyullin is one of the most expensive materials to repair.

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
Never forget that Rapiers not only ignore (normal) armor, but also ignore the invincibility period after a mob or player is hit.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
For an everyday 'wandering around' weapon the long swords lunge/leap ability is rather hard to pass up. Obviously less of a bonus once you get jetpack type items of course.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
No one has as of yet mentioned a frying pan..... Add some pistons and just say goodbye to mobs.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Even with a Jetpack, the additional mobility afforded by a longsword is invaluable. It gives a much flatter throw than a jetpack, so you can leap attack at a creeper, and not have to try and look down while you land on it. Not to mention giving you the ability to close with a skeleton without being completely driven away by arrows.

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
My main gripe with the pan is that knockback appears to be 2D only. Other than that you also lose out on the loot and it's ineffective in tight spaces.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, for me the pan is a weapon of choice after I have a mobile farm and I just need something to get the mobs out of the way, and yes, it is most definitely an open terrain weapon.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I like a Longsword as my everyday carry usually, although I've been rocking an Enderium Cutlass as of late. I like the damage output of the Cleaver, but not enough to deal with Mining Fatigue.

I have to admit that I carry the cheesiest weapon of all time though. That's a Signalum Crossbow with Enderium coated Steel Bolts. That's 57 damage per shot (modifiers were random due to Iguanas TinkerTweaks) with 161 shots per repair. Both bolts and crossbow have Moss on them, so I effectively have an infinite rapid fire rail gun. Funny too that the Crossbow ended up with Necrotic II, so when I'm hurt, I just bash a Zombie to death with the stock to heal up.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
My favourite melee weapon in tinkers is the battleaxe.

It's damage output is only slightly behind the Cleaver, but does not have the mining fatigue. It also has an enhanced charge from the Longsword (which gives strength, speed and hunger), and can work as a (cumbersome) axe in a pinch.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy the crossbow, metal depends on what the pack has, check the stats in NEI. add haste to the bow so it becomes rapid fire, add sharpness or whatever to the bolts as they do the damage.
Hate the cleaver's fatigue, only ever use it for heads, I'll stick with a broadsword or cutlass.
Best to try them out in creative.

In 1.8 a perfect weapon will be harder to define, so many choices as every material adds its own effects.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
For the purpose of fighting bosses I use a specialized weapon.
For the purpose of collecting mob drops I use a specialized weapon, that I store inside the killing chamber of my manual mob grinder, build near the build limit above the ocean for maximum spawn rate.

For the purpose of dealing with random encounters there is only one optimal weapon, and that is the mattock!
Why? well, because it doubles as a hand axe, so that saves inventory space, and, more importantly, a quick-sloth.
A hatchet could also be used for this, but a mattock does more damage.
Even in packs that don't include TiC I use an axe as everyday weapon, for the same reason.

Since my modpack includes steel, I use that for the head and back, and I use blue slime for the rod. Then I use quarts to increase the damage a bit. Doesn't have to go all the way with it, just enough to reliably 2-hit kill creepers.

You want a hand-axe on your quick-bar to deal with wood-material items while building, kill small tree's that are in the way, get the occasional wood while exploring, or deal with mine shaft structures while caving.
For manual wood farming/collecting I use a lumber axe.

A long time ago I used a battle axe for this reason, but the battle axe isn't good for everyday use when you often just want to mine a single wood material item.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
For the purpose of fighting bosses I use a specialized weapon.
For the purpose of collecting mob drops I use a specialized weapon, that I store inside the killing chamber of my manual mob grinder, build near the build limit above the ocean for maximum spawn rate.

For the purpose of dealing with random encounters there is only one optimal weapon, and that is the mattock!
Why? well, because it doubles as a hand axe, so that saves inventory space, and, more importantly, a quick-sloth.
A hatchet could also be used for this, but a mattock does more damage.
Even in packs that don't include TiC I use an axe as everyday weapon, for the same reason.

Since my modpack includes steel, I use that for the head and back, and I use blue slime for the rod. Then I use quarts to increase the damage a bit. Doesn't have to go all the way with it, just enough to reliably 2-hit kill creepers.

You want a hand-axe on your quick-bar to deal with wood-material items while building, kill small tree's that are in the way, get the occasional wood while exploring, or deal with mine shaft structures while caving.
For manual wood farming/collecting I use a lumber axe.

A long time ago I used a battle axe for this reason, but the battle axe isn't good for everyday use when you often just want to mine a single wood material item.

I agree with the idea of specializing your tools for the given purpose. The best tool is the one that does what you need it to do. When the goal changes, so does the best tool.

I'm considering carrying a Battleaxe. I'm thinking Enderium for the business end, but I'm not sure if I should just make the rest out of paper or not. My goal is usually to one-shot Endermen, and the ability to chop small (up to 9 tall) trees in a single blow while on the go is a nice bonus. If it's my everyday carry, Looting is a priority as well. I'm not running TC, so Thaumium is out. XU's Magical Wood is an option, but paper is better on most counts. I'm considering Pig Iron as a Tough Rod because bacon. Any suggestions on what else is worth a modifier or a special material?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Any sword type with a Manuliun blade, paper binding and thaumium handle (you can get away with paper but you better end fights quick). Two extra modifiers and the for the version you use manuliun is the highest base damage at 2 hearts iirc.
Give it one moss and maybe lapis and stack the rest with just quartz. I find moss alone too be adequate for durability as idealy you are ending most fights with a strike with all that quartz. Unless you are perpetually fighting, one level of moss is usually enough to repair your sword between fights.

Really all you need to do is stack quartz.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk