Best Mystcraft biomes for mining?

Sorenson

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,

What biomes would you suggest using for a Mystcraft mining age? I haven't been able to locate any solid info on what exactly is and isn't available in specific biomes (Mindcrack pack, if that helps). For instance, I know that emeralds are in extreme hills, but is that the only biome you can find them in FTB?

This is for an automatic quarry, in case that matters.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Any time ^-^
Also, personally I'd recommend a flat Tiny Biomes world with deserts, extreme hills, plains, and ocean, combined with the No Seas symbol. That should give you as much ore diversity as you could need.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Any time ^-^
Also, personally I'd recommend a flat Tiny Biomes world with deserts, extreme hills, plains, and ocean, combined with the No Seas symbol. That should give you as much ore diversity as you could need.
not much point in ocean/desert you can just use the RP gems

Reactions: Dravarden

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
exactly, use Redpower gems and problem solved

my suggestion is to use extreme hills, for railcraft sulfur and vanilla emeralds, mushroom biome (mobs don't spawn in there, if you need such a thing) or desert, for the other railcraft sulfur

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently Greg's removing RP rubies, sapphires, and green sapphires at some point in the future. Or already has, I have no idea.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently Greg's removing RP rubies, sapphires, and green sapphires at some point in the future. Or already has, I have no idea.

if he does, people gonna be pissed! not be able to make tools? hah, I hope he does it, just to see how everybody and their brother hating on him.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I can't see the mod community of developers going for him deleting a direct tool from someone's mod. where did you get that info?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I can't see the mod community of developers going for him deleting a direct tool from someone's mod. where did you get that info?
If Greg removes the RP gems, then you not be able to make the ruby/sapphire/green sapphire versions of common tools [pickaxe, shovel, etc]. Surprised no one responded to this before me...

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Any time ^-^
What "Y'-level" does this combo start you out on, given that it contains extreme hills? Asking cause I just disabled my Extreme Hills, max-size, max-speed quarry since it started me out on y=180 and took hours to get to y=150

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
That list isn't updated with the newest GT ores - Cassaderite and Tessaderite I think you call them - copper and tin in their natural forms.

They spawn in mushroom biomes, snowy biomes, swampy biomes and extreme hills biomes.

So basically I recommend plains and mushroom island.
Those two biomes contain all the ores.

Except perhaps emerald, but I guess adding some extreme hills, balanced out with oceans wouldn't hurt.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
That list isn't updated with the newest GT ores - Cassaderite and Tessaderite I think you call them - copper and tin in their natural forms.

They spawn in mushroom biomes, snowy biomes, swampy biomes and extreme hills biomes.

So basically I recommend plains and mushroom island.
Those two biomes contain all the ores.

Except perhaps emerald, but I guess adding some extreme hills, balanced out with oceans wouldn't hurt.
Ok, but the y-level question still remains when extreme hills are involved. Emeralds are nice and all but it's somewhat quicker to manually farm them using an infinite breeder combined with some automated farms rather than quarrying...IMO of course. Unless you're suggesting adding in ocean will reduce the y-height for a multi-biome flat age?

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Flat averages out the average Y-levels of each biome in the age.

So extreme hills adds a lot of height, and makes the average Y-level end up really high.
By adding oceans you add a very low y-level and therefore balance this out.

Try a few, add too few oceans and get an age that is too high, too few and the age is underwater.

And yes, abusing villagers is definately faster for emeralds, but not automatable.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Flat averages out the average Y-levels of each biome in the age.

So extreme hills adds a lot of height, and makes the average Y-level end up really high.
By adding oceans you add a very low y-level and therefore balance this out.

Try a few, add too few oceans and get an age that is too high, too few and the age is underwater.

And yes, abusing villagers is definately faster for emeralds, but not automatable.

Ah ha. That's good info to know. Thanks for sharing!