Best Modular Powersuit Setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Case in point... nothing personal of course, Poppycocks. :)

Neah, I'm with you, I personally love MPS as buggy as it sometimes is to bits and pieces, BUT

The problem is that it's just ... y'know, there. No background, no explanation, no nothing, you just stick an emerald into a block of iron to get a futuristic holograpo-table, mash a few bits of wire and and iron together, and you've got yourself a high tech astronaut suit, after that you just mash more iron and wire into it, with a side of enderpearls and diamonds and you've got yourself a whirring, buzzing, death machine, the only thing it lacks to be completely off the scale is a fire-thrower module and a tank shell module.

What MPS really lacks is a nice background mod which you could chew trough and use to get it, it's just mashing spit and twine together as it is.

Sure you could call it adding tedium, but for me it feels like it'd add a lot of believeability and a great sense of achievement, I'd like that. Just no bloody steve'scartisification please. That's worse than death. It's funny how modders go to the polar opposite of difficulty when their mod gets called OP one too many times. Also annoying.

Reactions: RedBoss

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
While people are discussing MPS here...

I have night vision on my MPS helmet and I can always tell when the server lags because the light levels "blink" in my helmet. Does that make sense? In other words, the lighting will be bright one second, then dim the next. Then it goes bright again, then dim... bright dim bright dim. As soon as the lag event is over (a few seconds at most), the blinking stops and everything works again. This happens many times during the day while I'm playing.

It's annoying, but it really doesn't do any harm... but why? Why does the MPS night vision helmet do that? It's almost as if the night vision is on/off/on/off/on/off in rapid cycle while I'm lagging like that. I just find it weird.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
While people are discussing MPS here...

I have night vision on my MPS helmet and I can always tell when the server lags because the light levels "blink" in my helmet. Does that make sense? In other words, the lighting will be bright one second, then dim the next. Then it goes bright again, then dim... bright dim bright dim. As soon as the lag event is over (a few seconds at most), the blinking stops and everything works again. This happens many times during the day while I'm playing.

It's annoying, but it really doesn't do any harm... but why? Why does the MPS night vision helmet do that? It's almost as if the night vision is on/off/on/off/on/off in rapid cycle while I'm lagging like that. I just find it weird.

Thats what you get when the night vision buff is under its last 10 seconds. Your lagging and the helmet is not able to apply the buff properly most likely.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Thats what you get when the night vision buff is under its last 10 seconds. Your lagging and the helmet is not able to apply the buff properly most likely.

On occasion, your connection is dying (or your server is on its deathbed) and the client is also unable to register that time's up and the night vision buff should be removed. This produces a super-seizure blinky rendering as the client tries to decide if it should draw the environment with or without night vision and alternates between the two states very rapidly.

I wish this failed more gracefully.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Does it to me on my single player world.

I would like to point out that Dire just made some armor for 1.6 and servos now require machine casings. (Ref Iron in plate form.) I haven't seen any of the more advanced recipes, but I suspect those are even more expensive and complicated.

Frankly there's balance and uselessness. I never consider building the gravity suit, because it's so expensive as to be pointless. The AEJ works just as well and doesn't cost me arms and legs. Why would I bother with a gravity suit?

ViruzzzDK

Jul 29, 2019
What do you have to do this with, and how long did it take you to be able survive a night? I doubt most people can survive that with no armor and just fists.
stone sword(s), a few dirt blocks to be able to make a 2-high enderman shelter. That is really all I use, the only dangerous thing is skeletons, which you can just avoid, you can pull endermen away form a skeleton by looking at it.
I generally don't make armor early-game except for the long fall boots once I can, but that is generally much later. I use bronze/iron/steel armor I find in chests, that's about it.
So, I can do it on the first night if needed, although I am usually digging a mine at that time.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
stone sword(s), a few dirt blocks to be able to make a 2-high enderman shelter. That is really all I use, the only dangerous thing is skeletons, which you can just avoid, you can pull endermen away form a skeleton by looking at it.
I generally don't make armor early-game except for the long fall boots once I can, but that is generally much later. I use bronze/iron/steel armor I find in chests, that's about it.
So, I can do it on the first night if needed, although I am usually digging a mine at that time.
You're better at fighting than I am. If I tried that I'd find one or two ender men the entire night, both of which would run away before I could kill them, and I'd die several times to them and everything else in the area.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You're better at fighting than I am. If I tried that I'd find one or two ender men the entire night, both of which would run away before I could kill them, and I'd die several times to them and everything else in the area.
To prevent them from teleporting away as you strike them, aim for their knees and lower. That way you can hit them reliably without without them teleporting away.
The 2 block high shelter tip works too since endermans are 3 blocks tall.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
My setup is:

Flight control in helmet.
1 maxed elite battery in chest slot.
Jet pack.
3 maxed heat sinks.
Cooling system (maxed)
Maxed energy shields in all applicable slots.
Railgun
Almost maxed out power tool.

You don't have to bother with kinetic generators, or any generator for that matter, some will add heat and you can fly for ages on a fully charged elite battery.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
To prevent them from teleporting away as you strike them, aim for their knees and lower. That way you can hit them reliably without without them teleporting away.
The 2 block high shelter tip works too since endermans are 3 blocks tall.
They teleport from me no matter where I attack them. I have bad luck with ender men unless I have an end game weapon. And shelters rarely work since they always teleport somewhere out of sight until I leave the shelter. I've had ender men hide from me for several minutes until I was trying to cross a single square wide hole with lava in the bottom. Guess what happened next :(

I keep seeing people say that ender pearls are easy to get, but for me they're one of the worst things to collect. The grind is awful, with me often going entire nights without seeing one. And having most of the ones I can find run away before I can kill them.

I've taken to using Dartcraft just to keep them from getting away.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're on 1.5.2, look for ender tots. They're meaner than the adults, and once you kill them, one or two adults will spawn for you to kill.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I like MPS because (besides completely trouncing every other armour type there is) it does something other mods don't: you can customise the appreance of it. It means I can have a nice red, blue and white colour combo that I can't get anywhere else.

By the way, what does the MPS thermal generator actually do? I could never get it to generate anything.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I like MPS because (besides completely trouncing every other armour type there is) it does something other mods don't: you can customise the appreance of it. It means I can have a nice red, blue and white colour combo that I can't get anywhere else.

By the way, what does the MPS thermal generator actually do? I could never get it to generate anything.

Turn off cooling, turn up your shields, soak yourself in lava and wait.

This is a really ghetto way to recharge though. You get some power from flying around in hot biomes from the heat but if I had to choose between the thermal generator and the solar panel I'd go with solar.