Best mob farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Onikrex

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently using attack turtles for my mob farm, which work pretty well, but I've noticed they don't allow a large number of mobs to be spawned at once. I usually can only have 1 soul shard active at any time. Is there something else that kills faster and would allow for item drops? I dont care about EXP, or if it takes energy.

waddle1463

Jul 29, 2019
Use the mob grinder and make many. Require lots of eu, but produce mob essence which can be used to enchant books and more of that stuff. Best system though

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Grinder from MFR. One shots all mobs. The more you make the better. Outputs items and mob essence(liquid). Requires MJ or EU. MV EU allows for the fastest speed.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I've personally always been partial to Thaumcraft golems with power cores and upgrades, set the spawner up high enough so that the fall will almost kill the mobs and the golems will mop up what's left, don't know if they're stronger or weaker than turtles but I find they're easier to use since they don't rely on Computercraft programming.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
For most mobs, the Grinder is the best. Grinder's main drawback is it will only kill mobs it's programmed to target. If you're trying to farm something like Heatscar Spiders, you're going to have to try something else.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I believe Extra Utilities adds some sort of spikes which can kill mobs (kinda like cactus, except it doesn't destroy mob drops). So that might also be an option, I don't know if they're any good though because I've never used them. I doubt they're better than a Grinder though.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Fall damage.

This can move mobs away from the spawner as fast as possible so more can spawn. No power needed, no maximum throughput.

You won't get wither skulls or random cruddy equipment but you will still get spoils bags, thank you Dartcraft, and you also get those miniature heart containers.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
A personal fav of mine... while not being the best is hella amussing.

Quicksand. Kills everything slowly which after a rough day of being creepered on is relaxing.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
How would you even setup a proper iron spiked mob farm to harness rare drops fully automatically? Cause obviously the items are just going to sit in them unless you somehow get the out.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Soul shards/Soul cages in conjunction with MFR mob farm machines synergize really well. One requires energy to produce mobs, but those mobs can be kill to increase soul shard tier. Soul shards provide mob essence, necessary for producing mobs via MFR mob farm machines.

I will be using soul shards on easy to get spawners, such as zombies, skeletons, cave spiders & blazes. Those should provide ample mob essence to begin spawning things I want, such as endermen, witches and ghasts. Though endermen shards are relatively easy to level up, given you have defeated the ender dragon, I do not want to spent the time to kill 500+ endermen for a tier 4+ shard.

Mob essence can also be used in an auto-enchanter to produce enchanted books, good for those who use nano/gravisuit/electric tools. I am not sure if you can enchant MPS via enchant books, but that may be another bonus.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to be an AE purist, there is the ME transition plane, which functions the same way an obsidian pipe does, saves you an interface... lol.

You can also use water to channel items into a central location where they drop into a hopper, then into a chest. Same function.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
So you mean do rows of spikes and then transition planes in between the rows of the spikes?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
There's no one "super farm" method- different mobs best rely on different mechanisms.

Gravity is best for common drops, shards run at full speed and mobs instantly die.
Redpower transposers make a fairly neat collection system.​
Quicksand is best for slimes and chickens (slimes split up on impact)- do not use for blazes/witches

Blazes need water, Iron golems a lava blade.

Machines (grinder/slaughterhouse/turtles), are slow/have a cooldown time- building enough to take a shard a full speed can be a bit laggy, its best to use them for rarer drops (pigmen gold/wither skulls) or ghasts.

I think the one exception is MFFS, complex and a heavy energy drain- but you should be able to instakill mobs and drop loot into a specific inventory.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
An obsidian pipe with four redstone engines on it is able to suck up drops through other blocks. Theoretically, a layer of spikes with some maxed obsidian pipes below them should be able to work.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh yea that'll work, to deal with the soulshards you just gotta do the drop trap just tall enough for the spikes do the finishing. So about 20 blocks should do the trick for a 10 heart entity.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Quicksand is best for slimes and chickens (slimes split up on impact)- do not use for blazes/witches

Just a side. Quicksand works on blazes. The Blazes only try and fly when they argo you and once the touch the quicksand they get sucked down even if they argo.

Witches on the other hand... yeah No idea while they don't take suffocation damage.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
For those a drop trap either with transition planes to make the "floor" of the room and place the spawners at 40 or so to kill them. Or for the spikes you could do a semi kill drop trap at half the drop then the spikes can do the finishing touches for your potions.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I have a tier 5 skelly spawner with a 20-21 block drop into the jaws of my melee turtle and XP turtle. I use the bones for my tree farm and trash the bows and arrows.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Just a side. Quicksand works on blazes. The Blazes only try and fly when they argo you and once the touch the quicksand they get sucked down even if they argo.

Witches on the other hand... yeah No idea while they don't take suffocation damage.

Witches do take suffocation damage, however they heal themselves constantly with regen and health potions in that situation so they won't die. Similarly, they take fire damage but because they drink fire resist potions it won't be for long.

Reactions: RedBoss