Best method for sorting into barrels?

TheDrizzle-0

Jul 29, 2019
I want to step away from using buildcraft pipes for my sorting facility that im making. What would be the best approach for this? I was thinking logistics pipes but I have no idea how to get started. Ive looked into insertion pipes but items can still get unsorted.

Attachments

• 2014-02-09_13.04.52.png
    2014-02-09_13.04.52.png
    874.6 KB · Views: 211

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually even easier then using LP, since you only need to set a barrel for items and then pipe them in. If you're using JABBA(which you should if you can), you can add an input item, then sneak right-click it to lock the barrel to that item, which is great for automation and LP usage.

A line of barrels that know what they want, with a line of normal item pipes on top(or under, if that's your thing) will suffice, since barrels can hold only one type of item, but can hold stacks of it.

Reactions: cannajan

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
You could do it several diferant ways with Extra Utilities pipes. And they pretty cheap to produce and upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
LP is great if you plan on doing autocrafting and being able to view your entire inventory in one place.

In the short run you could use TE item ducts. Those can be really cheap and easy to setup. If you want to ensure the barrel never gets anything other than what its supposed to have you can set filters by adding a pneumatic servo to that pipe section.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Logistics Pipes is the best. Watch Direwolf20's mod spotlight on it on his Youtube channel, he has a one hour and a half of pure fun with it.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I used the Mk II Chasis Pipes on the top, with an Item Sink and Provider Module in them. The Item Sink Module is set to have the item listed for the barrel in it.

There may be other (read better) ways, but that's what I'm doing and it's working fine.

MeinerEiner

Jul 29, 2019
Cheap version:
2014-02-04_17.32.19.png

First row are diamond pipes and on top are insertion pipes.
Those black thingies are plugs which can be crafted with an assembly table.

Doesn't work with autocrafting, but works realy well to get startet.
And with Void pipes on top you get a brute force overflow protection

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Cheap version:
View attachment 9710

First row are diamond pipes and on top are insertion pipes.
Those black thingies are plugs which can be crafted with an assembly table.

Doesn't work with autocrafting, but works realy well to get startet.
And with Void pipes on top you get a brute force overflow protection

With all the diamonds you are using, wouldnt it be cheaper to use TE Item Ducts?

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Obviously itemducts! They'll only try to insert something into a barrel if it can fit. Unless you're taking things out automatically, you should hardly ever not having something in them (unless Factorization has changed recently and it doesn't leave one item in the barrel when you punch it), so your system will only get unorganized if you're not paying attention. And if you're afraid of that, just set filters on everything with pneumatic servos.
Or you can just move to JABBA, lock your barrels, and you'll absolutely never have to reconfigure your barrels after you've set them up again (with itemducts as well).

Speaking of Logipipes, can they take items out of Factorization barrels from any side other than the bottom?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, depends on your sorting system. I would recommend Extra Utilities as a cheap, early game sorting system. All you need to do is have the barrels at the end of your sorting system, have nothing in the barrels in previous chests, and run sorting pipes through the back / top of them. For Logistic Pipes, a good mid / late game sorting system, I believe I used a Basic Logistics Pipe, which acts as an Itemsink module, or a MK II Logistics Pipe with a Polymorphic or Terminator module. Polymorphic gives it high priority, Terminator second lowest priority. For an AE system, just shove everything in there.
If you're looking for a Logistic Pipes guide, then Direwolf20 on Youtube has a Mod Spotlight on it, and in his Let's Play series, has two episodes dedicated to them. Check them, I learned how to use Logistic Pipes from those videos. Definitely best guide.

Reactions: Padfoote

3nd3r w1gg1n

Jul 29, 2019
Since no one else has said router..

What about using a Router from factorization? Its great as long as you only want to put things in

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Since no one else has said router..

What about using a Router from factorization? Its great as long as you only want to put things in
I tend to stray away from using those, as they can cause a great amount of lag.
Never experienced lag from routers tbh. But for the wall/row of barrels the Router is becoming increasingly difficult to use imo. Trying to do what used to work in 1.4.7, I have experienced weird bugs.

OT: Must admit that in my dabblings with Monster, I found setting up a lowtier sorting system so crude and annoying that I ended up skipping directly to ME network.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
OT: Must admit that in my dabblings with Monster, I found setting up a lowtier sorting system so crude and annoying that I ended up skipping directly to ME network.

Agreed. I've been using a hybrid system where cobble, dirt, sand, redstone, and coal all get barrels, but everything else goes on disk. Set the barrels to have a higher priority, and things will get pumped in to them before the ME network.

Reactions: MigukNamja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Agreed. I've been using a hybrid system where cobble, dirt, sand, redstone, and coal all get barrels, but everything else goes on disk. Set the barrels to have a higher priority, and things will get pumped in to them before the ME network.
I just made a bunch of cheap 1k discs and formatted them for each of the cobble, sand, dirt types etc. A 1k disk will store 127 stacks when formatted to one single item.
Then an ME storage with lower priority bus on a chest with a itemduct to a trashcan for all the cobble etc once their respectful disks are full. Later the trashcan will probably be replaced with recyclers.

Reactions: MigukNamja

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using routers for tons of new things in my current world and I really like them. No lag issues or weird bugs at all.

I have an ender chest from my quarries feeding one with things that dont need to be smelted, and all those barrels are along one wall. Then I have pulverizers and furnaces feeding another one (via itemducts) that inserts the ingots into another wall of barrels.

The only upgrades I have on them are speed and bandwidth.

It's working really well for me. I dont have to have set up tons of diamond pipes, or have any return loops or overflow chests or anything. My base is compact so I just grab stacks manually for crafting.

My only complaint is with barrels. Why can't I craft the extra dimensional storage upgrade? Arg!

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Never experienced lag from routers tbh. But for the wall/row of barrels the Router is becoming increasingly difficult to use imo. Trying to do what used to work in 1.4.7, I have experienced weird bugs.

A lot of them will cause a bunch of lag. I just tend to have a severe anathema towards possible lag causing objects and don't use them at all.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A lot of them will cause a bunch of lag. I just tend to have a severe anathema towards possible lag causing objects and don't use them at all.
A lot of everything will cause lag. The strength of routers are that you never need that many, 2-3 of them is enough to automate hundreds of machines like cokeovens etc.