Best food for Botania Gourmaryllis?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thinking of setting up a Gourmaryliss system to produce mana (this will be my first system) And I'm wondering if Gourmaryliss is a good way to go, and if so, whats the best way to feed them?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
This depends completely on how much infrastructure you're willing to dedicate to it. You can go with a steady supply of low nutrition foods for some baseline low mana production, or something like a Pam's harvestcraft feast (the deluxe cheeseburger, fries, and a smoothie for 9 shanks) for much larger output at slower intervals. The more nutritious the food, the more efficient the production, but you need a way to time out the feedings (they will eat even if they are already making mana, wasting your food).

The other infrastructure is the actual production of food to feed them. Something like a steak farm is quick and easy with decent returns. Something like the feast I mentioned above becomes a much more interesting project.

Reactions: TheBeastOver9000

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I did a little proof of concept in a creative world with a golem-run carrot farm using a dropper and a restone clock to drop the carrots on the flowers each second, but it generates fairly slowly. I could easily adapt the same system to use cows or pigs, but is the redstone clock an effective way of regulating the "feeding" times? I'd be willing to put more infrastructure into it as well, I'm just trying to understand the system. :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember that they eat even if they aren't hungry, so spamming food at them just wastes the food. Carrots would be better used in juice form (Pam's Harvestcraft juicer), as it has more shanks per carrot. There is a thread (or two) in the Community Showplace that has a system working off this. High nutrition foods take longer to digest, but give more efficient returns.

Reactions: CuriousKey

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the info! What I'm not sure about is how to determine what rate to give the flowers food.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
No prob. I'm still new to the Mod myself. I've been working up a theory on using a Redstone comparitor on a mana pool to determine the drop timing, but its still just an abstract mess in my head right now, and I won't have time to test anything for a while.

If you come up with a good system, please let us know.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Possible hint: The mana detector gives a redstone signal whenever a mana burst travels through it.

Reactions: CuriousKey

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It would seem I've overlooked something...

Good lookin' out.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help guys. :) Ok, mana detectors... I'll have to test a few systems out. :) On closer inspection, it does seem like this mod might be at it's most useful when combined with another mod that you've already progressed somewhat through, so I might benefit from starting with Thaumcraft and integrating Botania into it later. I'll have to think about it some more :p

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually been wondering about this myself. I've been thinking one of the PB&J sandwiches, once I've gotten a hold of a peanut seed through agricraft's mutation. A couple steps, but I didn't feel like setting up a cow or pig farm and it's easy enough to get all the ingredients. I'm poking around a bit more to see if there are any other easy to get options.

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
Lots and lots of soybeans, spice, and some more, preferably with high agricraft stats, can score you tons of supreme pizzas. I use this generraly to make ridiculous amounts of mana.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you grow soy, you can make cheeseburgers pretty easily without an animal farm. If you're going all out, the deluxe cheeseburger feast is worth 9 shanks of hunger. With a timer set to feed every 10 seconds (unless you're using one line of squeezers, then you're waiting on that bottleneck) you have quite a healthy sum of mana being produced.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest you take a look at my endoflame farm in this post : http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/redwood-power-unleashed.68802/ . It require a ton of fuel, but you dont have to build 2 full walls like I did :D. You start small on the ground and you expand slowly as needed.

I took a look, and a Gourmaryliss don't seem to produce much more then an endoflame. So you will need a crazy machine to feed several of them with higher tier food. Depends of your needs I guess.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
So I installed Applecore to get a look at the hunger values, and went through Harvestcraft's foods with NEI. Here's what I found promising:

Spring Salad:letuce+another veggie for 4.5
+1 (5.5) if you add a cucumber

Hash: 5.5 for onion, potato, tofu, and ketchup (tomato)

Chili: Beans, onion/bellpepper/chili pepper, firm tofu for 6.5
+0.5 if you add another chili pepper

Lime Smoothie: Snow+lime, 4.5. Very easy if you have access to snow.

Toast: 3.5 from bread. Very good for its low cost.

Sandwiches: peanut butter, jelly (fruit, sugar), bread for 5

Lamb Kebab: Firm Tofu, Onion, Bell Pepper, Stick for 7

Bacon-Wrapped Dates: Dates+Firm Tofu for 6
Note: Dates are a tree fruit, so that could slow things down.

Looking at this, Extreme Chili (Chili+another chili pepper) and Lamb Kebab are probably the best bet for a semi-simple craft. 7 shanks for only 4 ingredients. If you can get a hold of dates and are willing to deal with the way tree fruits work, bacon-wrapped dates is dead simple for almost as much bang. And if you want drop-dead simple you can make a wheat farm and cook your bread twice.

TenTonBlue

Jul 29, 2019
I automated Epic Rainbow Bacon... I am also using the resonant rise pack on the ATLauncher, so im not sure if this can be done with the pack you run, but I just thought id add this in the event it sparked any ideas. This automation requires a few different mods. I tried to throw in descriptions with the images, but if you have questions feel free to ask.
http://imgur.com/a/tNTAL#0