Best craftable wand/stave?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I was looking to make myself a top end wand since I got all associated researches complete.

I made the two silverwood rods I needed for the stave. Make the primal charm thingie I needed, throw it all in a thaumcraft crafting table to find out I need like 144 of each primal to make it.

So I look into the mage armor and stuff that reduces the cost, and it got the cost down to approximately 115ish. Still high.

So I looked down a tier at the Silverwood wand, with Thaumium caps, requires 70 of each to make I think. At this point it's becoming obvious that there is a ladder to climb to make these wands, which I don't mind climbing, I just don't know how.

I started off my Thaumcraft life making an iron capped wand. I then graduated to a Gold capped one, which held 50 of each. But I want to get into things like node transferring, the charging station etc, and unsure of the path I need to take.

The Silverwood Thaumium Capped Stave holds 250 of each primal, but I'm not even sure if that's the top, and if it isn't how I get to the top, and if it is, how I get there.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Brian

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
To get the silverwood stave, try a silverwood core with thaumium caps first. If that's still too high of a cost for the staff, enchant a wand focus with Frugal III.

If you can't make the normal silverwood/thaumium wand, make a gold capped greatwood wand.

As for the best of the staves, in normal TC it would be a primal staff core with thaumium caps. If you have TT KAMI installed, it's an ichorcloth wrapped stave with ichorium caps, or something similar.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Best craftable staff/wand? For staff, it'd be a Gold Banded(IIRC) Staff of the Primal, since Thaumium Banding is just out of reach in TC alone(with just Blood Magic, I'd wager that one could get it). Add other mods, and the answer gets really freaking complicated as "best" is very poorly defined.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
To get the silverwood stave, try a silverwood core with thaumium caps first. If that's still too high, enchant a wand focus with Frugal III.

If you can't make the normal silverwood/thaumium wand, make a gold capped greatwood wand.

As for the best of the staves, in normal TC it would be a primal staff core with thaumium caps. If you have TT KAMI installed, it's an ichorcloth wrapped stave with ichorium caps, or something similar.

The pack I use does have KAMI installed, not sure I have that one researched yet.

Do you have to use a step type plan to get to the highest wand?

What steps would I follow to get to that Ichorcloth stave?[DOUBLEPOST=1396485393][/DOUBLEPOST]
Best craftable staff/wand? For staff, it'd be a Gold Banded(IIRC) Staff of the Primal, since Thaumium Banding is just out of reach in TC alone(with just Blood Magic, I'd wager that one could get it). Add other mods, and the answer gets really freaking complicated as "best" is very poorly defined.

I'm talking best in terms of the most it can hold. How do you make the Gold Banded Primal one you speak of?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The pack I use does have KAMI installed, not sure I have that one researched yet.

What steps would I follow to get to that Ichorcloth stave?
If it has KAMI, chances are you aren't gonna get Ichorcloth anything any time soon; the first step is complete every non-KAMI research for TC.[DOUBLEPOST=1396485624][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm talking best in terms of the most it can hold. How do you make the Gold Banded Primal one you speak of?
Need to have the Staff of the Primal Research completed. IIRC to get it you need to make a primal charm, and hold it in your inventory long enough to unlock the research for the Wand Focus: Primal. Complete that research and make that focus, then scan it, unlocking the Staff of the Primal Research. After completing that research it's a matter of making the staff core and then adding banding. Note that while Thaumium Banding would be ideal, it's beyond the abilities of TC alone.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019

You'll have fun with KAMI later. You need to finish every other research though (including hidden), so don't hold your breath.

Yes, but they're pretty big steps, and far between. A wand focus with Frugal III will make it easier, too.

What steps would I follow to get to that Ichorcloth stave?

Woops, I feel stupid. There is no Ichor staff. That makes the best staff a wand.

The endgame Ichorcloth Strapped Silverwood Wand Core, along with Ichorium caps, would give you 1,000 vis storage of each type as well as a 20% discount on vis usage.

The primal staff core is a hidden research, which you unlock by scanning a projectile from the primal wand cap, which is another hidden research.

A handy guide for hidden researches can be found here.

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Using TTKAMI, one can make a ichorium adorned staff of the primal, which would be the best possible staff. However, the best wand would be the TTKAMI Ichor wand, which has 1000 of each and a 20% discount. The staff of the primal has 250.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Silver capped wand of the primal in vanilla TC4.1
Somehow this seems off to me; first off, a silver capped WAND of the Primal? That would allow one to make, for example, (assuming it holds more then a silverwood wand), a Thaumium Banded Staff of the Primal, since it is a wand and not a staff.
Second, why would one use Silver instead of Gold? Is gold out of reach for this? If not, why use Silver? Unless it and copper were changed, I see no benefit for it.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow this seems off to me; first off, a silver capped WAND of the Primal? That would allow one to make, for example, (assuming it holds more then a silverwood wand), a Thaumium Banded Staff of the Primal, since it is a wand and not a staff.
Second, why would one use Silver instead of Gold? Is gold out of reach for this? If not, why use Silver? Unless it and copper were changed, I see no benefit for it.
IIRC silver>gold and I mesnt staff :p

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC silver>gold and I mesnt staff :p
Thing is, silver focuses two aspects better then gold, but 4 as good(or worse, can't recall) as iron. Gold has no Vis loss at all. Side-grade caps (copper and silver) focus specific aspect types better at the cost of focusing others worse(and in TC4 silver was Ordo and Perditio, aka order and chaos, and copper was the elements).

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, silver focuses two aspects better then gold, but 4 as good(or worse, can't recall) as iron. Gold has no Vis loss at all. Side-grade caps (copper and silver) focus specific aspect types better at the cost of focusing others worse(and in TC4 silver was Ordo and Perditio, aka order and chaos, and copper was the elements).
Ah. I thought Silver was between gold and thaumium (since it required infusion)

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
With Thaumcraft 4.1.0g, Copper caps are similar to Iron, but with a discount for Perdito and Ordo vis usage, while Silver caps are similar to gold, but with a discount for the four elemental essences. These discounts aren't enough to push them up a whole rung -- Silver can't beat Thamium, even for Fire usage, and Copper can't beat Gold, even for Perdito usage -- but at the same time, you don't suffer compared to the normal version.

So (while wearing Goggles of Revealing) a Gold capped Greatwood wand has 95% vis costs for all primals, while a Silver-capped Greatwood wand has 95% vis costs for ordo and perdito and 90% for the elemental primals, and a Thaumium-capped wand has 85% vis costs for all primals.

Silver also takes fewer aspects and less Salis Mundus to Infuse than Thaumium per cap, which can make up for the difference in Vis usage if you're really just making an early- or mid-game blasting wand or staff, especially for the Shock or Fire foci. Copper's not really worth it, unless you're incredibly strapped for iron.

Last edited:

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
You'll have fun with KAMI later. You need to finish every other research though (including hidden), so don't hold your breath.

Gonna be a while then I guess. I got most of artifice, and alchemy stuff done. At least what is visible anyway. I am almost out of all of the primal aspects, especially aer, so progress is a bit laborious until I get more. Is there some some of checklist out that that would be better for keeping track of all of this? I don't have a problem having to do certain things to unlock, or even see other things, but this research feels like I'm pissing into the wind, and I'm trying not to get wet.

Yes, but they're pretty big steps, and far between. A wand focus with Frugal III will make it easier, too.

What does Frugal do, and how do you get it?

The endgame Ichorcloth Strapped Silverwood Wand Core, along with Ichorium caps, would give you 1,000 vis storage of each type as well as a 20% discount on vis usage.

Dayum.

The primal staff core is a hidden research, which you unlock by scanning a projectile from the primal wand cap, which is another hidden research.

A handy guide for hidden researches can be found here.

Some of the guide is helpful, but overall, I am finding it hard to digest all of it, especially since there seems to be multiple conversations going on in there.

I seen another guide for Thaumic Tinkerer, and KAMI @ http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...heet-now-with-100-more-overpoweredness.32743/

Pretty hard to follow, because I have some of the require researches for certain things, but nothing new showing up.

To touch on an earlier comment you made to me, I have the greatwood gold wand already, but all it holds is 50 vis, which is hardly squat in the grand scheme of things.

If it has KAMI, chances are you aren't gonna get Ichorcloth anything any time soon; the first step is complete every non-KAMI research for TC.[DOUBLEPOST=1396485624][/DOUBLEPOST]

Need to have the Staff of the Primal Research completed. IIRC to get it you need to make a primal charm, and hold it in your inventory long enough to unlock the research for the Wand Focus: Primal. Complete that research and make that focus, then scan it, unlocking the Staff of the Primal Research. After completing that research it's a matter of making the staff core and then adding banding. Note that while Thaumium Banding would be ideal, it's beyond the abilities of TC alone.

Do you recall offhand what research is needed for the Staff of the Primal? I mean the Wand Focus you spoke of, cause I am not seeing it anywhere on my screen atm. I got Artifice 100% done (100% of what is visible), Alchemy is about 95%, Golemancy is about 75%. I figured more things would have opened up buy alas, they have not.

I can accept that I won't be able to use the caps and stuff I want, but I want to try and progress towards that at least.

Using TTKAMI, one can make a ichorium adorned staff of the primal, which would be the best possible staff. However, the best wand would be the TTKAMI Ichor wand, which has 1000 of each and a 20% discount. The staff of the primal has 250.

How much vis does that staff hold? Is it comparable to the wand counterpart?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Do you recall offhand what research is needed for the Staff of the Primal? I mean the Wand Focus you spoke of, cause I am not seeing it anywhere on my screen atm. I got Artifice 100% done (100% of what is visible), Alchemy is about 95%, Golemancy is about 75%. I figured more things would have opened up buy alas, they have not.
100% of what is visible only matters if you have access to KAMI stuff, which means you have 100% for sure of the non-KAMI stuff.

The research for the Staff of the Primal, as earlier stated, requires one to scan a wand focus: primal. To gain that research option you need to make a primal charm(recipe under "Needful things") and keep in in your inventory long enough for it to do something(says it's leaking or something after that). Then you can research the wand focus: primal.

You may want to check out the lost research guide on site for more details. It may not always be super clear on what needs what, but it's a great starting point regardless.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
100% of what is visible only matters if you have access to KAMI stuff, which means you have 100% for sure of the non-KAMI stuff.

The research for the Staff of the Primal, as earlier stated, requires one to scan a wand focus: primal. To gain that research option you need to make a primal charm(recipe under "Needful things") and keep in in your inventory long enough for it to do something(says it's leaking or something after that). Then you can research the wand focus: primal.

You may want to check out the lost research guide on site for more details. It may not always be super clear on what needs what, but it's a great starting point regardless.

I was overlooking the page that primal was on.

I got that created, it did it's thing. I crafted it, scanned it. It unlocked another research next to magic staves, but it says I am missing required research. So I can't quite research the staff core.

Could it be because I don't have all the other staff cores unlocked yet ?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
No idea; did you scan the primal focus or the wand focus: primal? If it was the latter, I have no clue at all; if it's the former, then again, you have to be patient.

It's 4:30 am, I am not totally here at the moment, so I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your post.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
No idea; did you scan the primal focus or the wand focus: primal? If it was the latter, I have no clue at all; if it's the former, then again, you have to be patient.

It's 4:30 am, I am not totally here at the moment, so I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your post.

You're all good bud. Everything I've created in regards to this has been scanned. I am working working on completing the stave core researches for the wands I've done, then see if it comes up that way. But it's at least in my thaumonicon now, so only a matter of time before it opens up.[DOUBLEPOST=1396520820][/DOUBLEPOST]Will keep ya posted.