Best computer for modded minecraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

CalOtter

My budget is $500-700. It would be nice to have a nivida graphics card, but it doesn't really matter.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
This is not the time.

bitcoin is hot right now, every card everywhere seems to be either sold out, being sold for triple the cost, or burned out resold from a bitcoiner (and thus not able to be used).

But to help you out when you are ready:

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/5556-first-gaming-pc-build

drop a line over there. You'll need to wait for somebody else to answer about what the requirements for a good minecraft system are. I remember you don't need too much memory, 8 will do it, and I think you want a beefier then normal CPU.
8 GB total won't be enough for some modpacks. If you need 6GB for Minecraft+Modpack alone, that leaves little buffer for the system. I recommend 16GB. As for the CPU, the rule should be "speed over multicore".

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Echoing the sentiment about RAM. 8 is not enough unless you're sticking to 1.7. 16 is the new norm.

Get nvidia if you're ever planning to use shaders or anything, which I don't recommend because it's a pita.

Otherwise, just prioritize processing speed over number of cores.

C

CalOtter

I was just looking to buy a pre-built computer. Does anyone have any cheap recommendations?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
You're better off checking with a general computing site. Here, we can help you know what to prioritize and that's about it. I haven'y bought a pre-built computer in forever. I use pcpartpicker.

But, if you know the factors (RAM -> Core speed -> NVidia) then you can pick any pc you want in your price range that fits those criteria.

PCs aren't really cookie cutter products. No one here will have a solid recommendation for you unless they are literally searching for the same thing you are at the same time. If I bought the perfect PC a month ago, it's already obsolete info.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I personally stay away from prebuilt systems entirely, as they aren't always put together with performance in mind... That sale system using an AMD FX 8-core CPU and DDR3 ram may be great for Aunt Sadie's Facebook but won't do you any favors in the gaming world and is there to make money from old dead-end stock while they can. Besides, prebuilt systems come with too many "Free 60 trial" offers that autoload and can never be removed cleanly, sometimes causing software problems.

Conversely, blindly going out and buying a top of the line Intel rig with quad 1080s in it will just be a waste of money, or be worth bragging rights but only if you can explain exactly why you went that way :D

First you have to decide what exactly you want to do with a computer. If the greatest aspiration you have is the best Minecraft experience for the least amount of money then get a system with the fastest clock speed you can (MC doesn't use multicore), probably a 2 or 3 year old Intel CPU, with 16GB ram.

If you want to get something right now that can be cheaply upgraded over the next few years then look at systems with the new AMD Ryzen CPU.

In either case I'd probably not put better than a 1050 video card in it, unless the cryptocurrency market crashes hard. Paying $465 for a 1060 is way too much, and there are special edition "Star Wars" 1080 cards going for $3000 EACH that lead me to question some peoples' sanity.

Last edited:
C

CalOtter

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.68 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - A320M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin - Redline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($169.99)
Storage: ADATA - Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $753.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-18 19:00 EST-0500

So, I asked for advice and got a few suggestions. Here's one that I slightly edited.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Make sure you check your video card size against your case specs. I know my 750 is within an inch clearance of the drive bays, so if there's not enough room, you're stuck with a card or case you can't use. That said, Cases are cheaper than cards, but still.

This is the PSU I have RAIDMAX Cobra RX-600-AE-B It's semi-modular, so you don't have to have PCI-Express power if your computer doesn't need it for example. Useful for airflow, which Micro-ATX can use as much of as possible. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of stock EVERYWHERE.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.68 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - A320M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin - Redline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($169.99)
Storage: ADATA - Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $753.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-18 19:00 EST-0500

So, I asked for advice and got a few suggestions. Here's one that I slightly edited.

Depending on airflow in that case you can expect your Ryzen 5 to run a bit faster... Mine, using the included air cooling auto-clocked itself to 3.6Ghz. I also got DDR4 ram@3000Mhz because Ryzen performance actually improves wit faster ram speed... I run my ram at 2966Mhz.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
From personal experience I would highly suggest a fully modular psu. It's nice to not have the octopus in your case that you have to tie wrap and hog tie out of the way.