Bees might get nerfed soon?

lMonsterHD

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been getting really into the Bees in Forestry (incl. Extra Bees) and I'm starting to find a lot of things that seem very overpowered and can forsee a possible nerf coming in the future.

My primary example of this are the "Edenic" bees. Their species comes with the effect called "Explorer" that allows the player to gain XP while within the effect range of the bee. By itself this effect is minimal, but when you combine 9 or more bees together that all give off the same effect at once you gain XP VERY quickly.
Possible Nerf: Combining bees together does not increase the rate that XP is gained. (One bee will increase your XP just as fast as 25)

Another example of this is the "Distilled" bee. They produce Oily comb which, when centrifuged, has a 60% chance to make oily propolis which can be squeezed into oil. Just one distilled queen in an Alveary can produce enough oil (that is then refined into fuel) to power TWO FULL-SIZE railcraft HP steam boilers.
Possible Nerf: Reduced comb production rates.

Tell me your thoughts on the matter. I personally don't think these things should be nerfed (at least not too much) but I can see it happening.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
The thing about these types of bees is they're very hard to get without looking up on a wiki how to do it (Which is how the mod is designed)
Even with looking up the combinations there is still the mutation chances to factor in

So in my opinion, I don't think there is going to be a nerf coming, because they're already quite hard to get

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been getting really into the Bees in Forestry (incl. Extra Bees) and I'm starting to find a lot of things that seem very overpowered and can forsee a possible nerf coming in the future.

My primary example of this are the "Edenic" bees. Their species comes with the effect called "Explorer" that allows the player to gain XP while within the effect range of the bee. By itself this effect is minimal, but when you combine 9 or more bees together that all give off the same effect at once you gain XP VERY quickly.
Possible Nerf: Combining bees together does not increase the rate that XP is gained. (One bee will increase your XP just as fast as 25)

Another example of this is the "Distilled" bee. They produce Oily comb which, when centrifuged, has a 60% chance to make oily propolis which can be squeezed into oil. Just one distilled queen in an Alveary can produce enough oil (that is then refined into fuel) to power TWO FULL-SIZE railcraft HP steam boilers.
Possible Nerf: Reduced comb production rates.

Tell me your thoughts on the matter. I personally don't think these things should be nerfed (at least not too much) but I can see it happening.

That distilled bee had been nerfed to around one third of the previous default yield. In his youtube LP, GenerikB used the older version when distilled bee produced more oily propolis than refined bee (per unit time), it's now nerfed to 16 min/comb (from 5-6 mins/comb) for both so now there's a reason to make refined bees if you want that biofuel.

IMO, Extra Bees as a whole is OP, especially frame housing and mutator, in beekeeping normal mode, with 2 uraniums or 3 ender pearls you get 100% mutation rate (that's for every combinations). The oily propolis nerf didn't really affect the yield much since you only need 9 frame housings+frames to reach the maximum productivity (27.5 sec/2 product comb and 27.5 sec/specialty comb) of the slowest bee (platinum bee), so with oily bee you perhaps only need like 3-4.

Explorer is pretty OP, especially when you inject all your bees with explorer effect :D.

But as said, you really need to go through a pretty long bee grinding process (and time) to reach the state where you can mass produce alveary blocks, impregnated frames and manipulate bees.

Reactions: MagusUnion

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
the reason the distilled bee can produce that amount of power if used with liquid boiler is not the bees output its thats oil made fuel got buffed, yes if you use an alvery you can make it kind of fast or very fasts with frame, but the cost of alvery & the frames offsets this, in mho EB does need some balance but not a major nerf as your implying.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Edenic bees do seem a bit cheaty, but then again there are several ways to get an xp farm so efficient that the mechanic might as well not even be there. This one does it without adding lag. So I say leave it.

Reactions: JayPSlay

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Edenic bees do seem a bit cheaty, but then again there are several ways to get an xp farm so efficient that the mechanic might as well not even be there. This one does it without adding lag. So I say leave it.

well, you can just add apiaries in your walls of your base with edenic queens (since they produce XP and don't die if they don't have flowers) and get XP while AFK, or working or whatever.

and is faster than a vanilla enderfarm, the fastest farm in minecraft (30 levels = 1 minute in the smallest version)

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
well, you can just add apiaries in your walls of your base with edenic queens (since they produce XP and don't die if they don't have flowers) and get XP while AFK, or working or whatever.

and is faster than a vanilla enderfarm, the fastest farm in minecraft (30 levels = 1 minute in the smallest version)
True, though an enderfarm would also be getting you enderpearls.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
True, though an enderfarm would also be getting you enderpearls.

yeah, but you need like 9 stacks of pistons, 36 of string (that or 18 of string and 18 of redstone, depending on the version you like) and 18 (or 2) iron for the tripwires... So you would need first a big flax farm or a spider spawner.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, but you need like 9 stacks of pistons, 36 of string (that or 18 of string and 18 of redstone, depending on the version you like) and 18 (or 2) iron for the tripwires... So you would need first a big flax farm or a spider spawner.
I bet all that is still easier than breeding a single edenic bee XD

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
generikbee (nyaah) or, generikb on youtube, has 25, he placed them in a 5x5 floor and, well, he is level 359.
Yeah I've seen his video. But you have to keep in mind he is extremely advanced in beekeeping already. And it still took him an all nighter to get the edenic bees started.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
of course, an edenic bee is not something you get the first day, an enderfarm is something early game (there is a german server, the zip crowd, that in like 2 days they had a double enderfarm running, of course, they are like 15 players)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Did you consider the amount of time it takes to actually get the bees? Together with another player on our server we've been breeding bees for hours to get the 'good' ones. With mystcraft oil is infinite anyway, and in the time it takes to get the right bees you can hook up a LOT of oil spouts to a liquid tesseract.

JDCollie

Jul 29, 2019
Bees are very powerful, but also extremely time intensive to acquire. In the time it takes to get a Distilled or Edenic bee, the alveary(ies) to use them in, and the infrastructure to process their products, I could have already made several other equally overpowered systems. Bees are kinda they end-game for sustainable resource production, and the difficulty in making full use of them reflects that. I'm totally okay with them in their current state, personally.

Anyway, Mystcraft void age with a mob trap and x3 Melee turtles can produce more than enough experience for the average activity, and also works afk without significant lag.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
So we already knew the oil bees got a 66% nerf, now Bdubs is saying that the xp bees are nerfed as well... He didn't say how much, though.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
he was wrong, GB told him bees were nerfed, but not which ones, bdubs might have assumed that were the edenic

the comments said that they did not.

Slidingmike

Jul 29, 2019
he was wrong, GB told him bees were nerfed, but not which ones, bdubs might have assumed that were the edenic

the comments said that they did not.

Correct, if you watch either video closely, you can see the levels flying up, especially when gennyb is already at such a high level