Beekeeping Guide. Yay or nay?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Beekeeping guide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Gasp, there's 2 no votes!

Seriously though, it's a good idea. You find all these random blocks, which at first you may not realise are bee hives, then it's how do you interact with them, then what do you do with these bees, then eventually the products that the can produce.

I think I've managed to get some honeycomb from a villager setup, but have no idea what to do with it.

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
Dude... plz... i don't care about spoilers.. just make a very good detailed guide... because i'm terrible at bee's... and be sure after that keep on to extra bee's.. because it seem it add's a lot of stuff to all the bee's part of the mod and that would be complete from someone's that never even touch forestry.

Cumpz

Reactions: war_kittens

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Gasp, there's 2 no votes!

Seriously though, it's a good idea. You find all these random blocks, which at first you may not realise are bee hives, then it's how do you interact with them, then what do you do with these bees, then eventually the products that the can produce.

I think I've managed to get some honeycomb from a villager setup, but have no idea what to do with it.

And they didn't even have the guts to post why not.
Did I mention that I like you? Less work for me. :p

On a serious note though, if you want any help, proofreading, whatnot, don't be afraid to send me a message.
:) Thanks. I'll PM you with some stuff in a bit.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'd like to vote yes, on one condition:

I really would appreciate a spoiler-free version (more of a tutorial, really - even making your own apiaries isn't trivial, nor are the mechanics of EB frames), or at least one where you separate the mutation tables from everything else. Anything on Sengir's wiki would be fair game, including the hints and the yields, for instance.

The real shame here is that EB's Database isn't up to full functionality here, that would have been really very nice. (Mindcrack's 1.4.9.12 shows what the bees look like for undiscovered mutations, but not what species they are or whether you've discovered them; 1.4.9.14 hides what they look like, and shows whether the species are discovered or not; neither shows which branch the bees are from, something that was there pre-rewrite.)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'd like to vote yes, on one condition:

I really would appreciate a spoiler-free version, or at least one where you separate the mutation info from everything else. Anything on Sengir's wiki would be fair game, including the hints and the yields, for instance.

I to would enjoy a spoiler free sort of quick help version. One with just the most bare bone info to get people started and a few of the little noob pit falls like my recent issue with the database requiring bees to go in apiries before it shows anything.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll have a bee newbie section, filled with the basic info needed to get you started.[DOUBLEPOST=1357951804][/DOUBLEPOST]I guess I'll have a bee newbie section, filled with the basic info needed to get you started.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Joy! It appears that Sengir's new wiki now has Beekeeping 101!

Obviously no information about ExtraBees' Database, but still very helpful.

It does obliquely allude to how to get (spoiler alert!) heroic branch bees,
so, bonus.

Malkeus Diasporan

Jul 29, 2019
Could someone here give me a quick rundown on frames? I have spent a couple hours digging and can't seem to find any concrete info on them. I gather they enhance...something...but idk what.

thaile4ever

Jul 29, 2019
The three base forestry frame (Untreated, Impregnated, and Proven) double production for each frame added. The difference being how long they last.

Extra bees adds 4 more frames.

Chocolate Frame - Increases production by 1.5.
Side Effects: 1/2 Lifespan.
Uses: Using 3 will kill the queen super fast. Good for if you're looking to genepool the drones into dna, or breeding in a particular stat.

Restraint Frame - Reduces bee territory by half.
Side Effects: 2/3 Lifespan, 2/3 Production
Uses: To make breeding of dangerous bees safer.

Soul Frame - Increases chance of Mutation by 1.5
Side Effects: 2/3 Lifespan, 1/4 Production rate
Uses: Increases your chance of getting new breeds.

Healing Frame - Increases Bee Lifespan by 1.5
Side Effects: 1/2 Chance of mutating to new breed, 3/4 Production rate
Uses: Gives a slight boost in overall production.

Nova Frame - Reduce bee lifespan to tiny amount.
Uses: for Debug/Tested only. Causes bee to die the next time the apiary is checked by the game. Cannot be crafted.

The 2 that are the most useful is the Chocolate and Soul frame as they make bee breeding a lot faster.

Reactions: Jammyjezza

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
For a bee guide, I would like to see a listing of the branches/line, the bee names for the branch, then lastly, how to actually breed it. It would help to know that I discovered the branch I need, without revealing the whole line. Maybe list the combos that start each branch. That will give a few nudges if we get stuck and still not spoil all the fun. :D

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
For a bee guide, I would like to see a listing of the branches/line, the bee names for the branch, then lastly, how to actually breed it. It would help to know that I discovered the branch I need, without revealing the whole line. Maybe list the combos that start each branch. That will give a few nudges if we get stuck and still not spoil all the fun. :D

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but I'll see what I can do.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Yay!
I never really understood what's the deal with the bees or what to do with them, so this would really be helpful! :)

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Goodie, always glad to be of help. The base vanilla forestry should be done in about 2 weeks, maybe less. Then zmaster is going to do a page on the thaumic bees mod, and then zmaster and I will work on extra bees. And flora... well she'll do something.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I guess it might be useful. Not AS necessary, seeing as we have flora onboard

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but I'll see what I can do.

I wrote it late at night, so I'm not sure I even understand, so now that I've slept, let me retry:

General information: A list of all the bee branches.. Rocky, Nether, Wintery, etc.

A list of the bees in that branch/line. I.e. the nether bees contain: Sinister, Feindish, Demonic.

(Nether bee spoiler information below)
How to breed the bee that begins the line since you have to get sinister before you can breed feindish or demonic. I.e. a modest + cultivated (general hint, no specific information)

Then finally, the specifics like a modest princess + a cultivated drone in the nether.

Then if people *really* want to know everything, how to breed the other bees in the line.

This way it is very spoiler free, and can give hints as needed without spoiling all the fun of discovery.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and if you like I will try to post some pictures for automating production lines since I've come up with a few good compact ways with buildcraft. Not so successful with automated bee breeding, but I prefer to do that manually.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
I would definitely be interested in other people's setups - here's mine. About the only real expense is the autarchic gates, and those can be replaced by redstone engines fairly easily.
Vy1yQ.png

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my semi-automatic 2x2 setup. It is semi-automatic as you need to periodically empty the drone chest. and replace the frames. I use the drone chest for breeding stock, but you could just as easily send the drones down a pipe elsewhere. I've changed it slightly for standard buildcraft. If you have insertion pipes, those can be used in place of the diamond pipe on top the apiary. The pipe going up in the pictures is the line for all your bee products. Pipe them to wherever you see fit.

For my breeding setup, I change the pipe on top of the apiary to a sandstone pipe. That way, the drones and the princess go to the chest.

Side view
2013-01-12_12.22.50.png

Front view
2013-01-12_12.23.29.png

Updated when you get gates. I use the lamp to show when the apiary needs attention.

2013-01-12_12.29.47.png

And the configs

products.PNG

Bees.PNG

Gate config.PNG