Beekeeping Guide. Yay or nay?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Beekeeping guide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with RP apiaries is that you can't be as precise with what bees goes where, or you need to separate the circuits for that.

The pipes specifically apiarist pipes, on the other hands, give you a much better control over your bees, even more when you want to breed pure lines.
They have a lot of options, so it becomes way easier to refill the apiaries with what you want.

You can still hook that system to a RP network after that if you so wish though.

And don't give me a "you can use RP filters", they need an actual bee of the exact same species to stay inside at all time.

I'm actually looking into building a RP/BC hybrid system. Once I get something I might post. Unless I fail horribly then I will burn the evidence and deny this post was ever made.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with RP apiaries is that you can't be as precise with what bees goes where, or you need to separate the circuits for that.

The pipes specifically apiarist pipes, on the other hands, give you a much better control over your bees, even more when you want to breed pure lines.
They have a lot of options, so it becomes way easier to refill the apiaries with what you want.

You can still hook that system to a RP network after that if you so wish though.

And don't give me a "you can use RP filters", they need an actual bee of the exact same species to stay inside at all time.

For breeding purposes, you are absolutely right. There isn't anything that can match the precision of the apiarist pipe. All of the designs I have posted are specifically for bee production, where the genome of the bees is stable and you specifically want the bee products. The systems I posted are absolutely worthless for breeding.

I'm actually looking into building a RP/BC hybrid system. Once I get something I might post. Unless I fail horribly then I will burn the evidence and deny this post was ever made.

Your post has been quoted, and is forever saved on the internets. You cannot deny it! :D Actually, I would love to see it, even if you get it only half working. I have never been good at the BC or RP logic required to do such a thing.

BC has gates with all these awesome conditionals, but is hard to do physical dynamic routing and it's logic seems to be pretty big and bulky. RP is awesome with the timing,logic and physical routing, but is pretty blind to the world. If there were an easy way to marry the two together, can you imagine the chaos that would be unleashed?!? :rolleyes:

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
For breeding purposes, you are absolutely right. There isn't anything that can match the precision of the apiarist pipe. All of the designs I have posted are specifically for bee production, where the genome of the bees is stable and you specifically want the bee products. The systems I posted are absolutely worthless for breeding.

Your post has been quoted, and is forever saved on the internets. You cannot deny it! :D Actually, I would love to see it, even if you get it only half working. I have never been good at the BC or RP logic required to do such a thing.

BC has gates with all these awesome conditionals, but is hard to do physical dynamic routing and it's logic seems to be pretty big and bulky. RP is awesome with the timing,logic and physical routing, but is pretty blind to the world. If there were an easy way to marry the two together, can you imagine the chaos that would be unleashed?!? :rolleyes:

My plan is to use the BC Api pipe and a gate for loading unloading next to the Api. Then go RP for eveything else.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah, I usually even put the stable ones with BC, but both wok once you have enough specimens and ou need the products, I am just too lazy to make something else after I don't need to breed.

That said, RP is awesome to route the items into the machines and storage anyway, so the best is to always have both at hand.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
once i figure out everything for the last thaumic line, i will be done with that addon :D then i can work on whatever bit of extra bees i need to do

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Bee breeding wiki? Awesome! Bees are so opaque, it's hard to figure out anything.

(Just don't use wikia, please...)

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, yes, yes. A thousand times, yes!

This is the kind of resource I've been looking for this past week, and it will make my YouTube series much more comfortable. Expect to be recognized for your work when I get to bees.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Morv, I'll tell you when it's done. I should have default bees done in about a week or 2. Thaumic bees is essentially done, and extra bees... May take a few weeks.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently trying to breed myself through extra bees, having found a few dozens of species. Are you interested in the breeding recipes? I could copy them with a bit of work from my current database and PM them to you (with a warning, that ALL current breeding has been done in a plains biome, so if there are any recipes which work only in plains biome (I know of one in vanilla forestry), I cannot give you that extra info).
I'm trying to find all the info without code digging :)

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
PM it to zmaster. Extra bees is more his territory then it is mine. Thanks in advance.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
RedPower 2 Apiary (tier 2 machines)

Here I will show you how to setup a slightly more advanced RP2 apiary. This one uses tier 2 machines, but most importantly, does not need a timer to operate. It is only 1 block wide, so apiaries can be placed right next to each other. There are two designs I will show. The first is the actual bee management, the second gives an indicator light to show when it is time to replace the frames.

-snip-

Oh my god, I feel like such an idiot now. I have the exact same setup, though I was running around grabbing extra princesses and breeding them to the proper unidentified species to put in the sorting machine. Then sent the honeycomb/royal jelly/etc. out the default path... Your way makes so much more sense! I'll just chalk it up to a lack of caffeine when I was designing mine. =P

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
If you go the entire time without accidentally thanking Flora for the help instead of Exedra...

Then what? I love Flora and I bow before her superior knowledge in this subject... I just ever can't quite understand it from her explanations sometimes. Since other folks seem to be able to just fine, it must be me. I'm a good wiki crawler, though, so this will likely help me a lot. If it turns out as something of real quality, I will probably talk to Jaded about getting it integrated into the FTB wiki.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Then what? I love Flora and I bow before her superior knowledge in this subject... I just ever can't quite understand it from her explanations sometimes. Since other folks seem to be able to just fine, it must be me. I'm a good wiki crawler, though, so this will likely help me a lot. If it turns out as something of real quality, I will probably talk to Jaded about getting it integrated into the FTB wiki.

:0. Yay. I only see one problem with integrating it into the wiki. How exactly do zmaster and I edit it?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
On the topic of bees: Where in the nether spawn the nether hives from extra bees? I've flown around for a while and couldn't find one.
Somewhere in the netherrack walls (I hope adjacent to an air block)? In the nether fortresses? Near nether wart?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
The embittered bee (nether hive) spawn in the netherrack, just like rocky bee hives in the overworld spawn in stone. Just look around as you explore the nether, and always take a scoop with you. You will find one eventually. Sometimes they take a while.

A few versions back, I went through the nether and finally found a nether hive. I broke it and got... valiant bees. ugh.