Bee Traits

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
As long as we're on the subject of bees here, is there a certain way you need to hook pipes up to an Alveary to insert drones and princesses? They are spilling onto the ground instead of inserting from my golden transport pipe, and it almost cost me one of my Imperials. It's my very first alveary and I'm excited to finally get some proper maintenance-free automation going.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
An overview of the best bee traits:
Lifespan:
- Longest (Relic Bee from Extra Bees)
- Longer (Austere, Ender, Demonic, Edenic from Vanilla Forestry)
- Shortest for faster breeding (e.g. Meadows Bee, Forest Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Production Speed:
- Fastest (Aura Bee from Thaumic Bees)
- Fast (Cultivated Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Drones:
- 4 (Majestic Bee, Wintry Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
- 1 (e.g. Rocky Bee from Extra Bees)
Pollination:
- Maximum (Aura Bee from Thaumic Bees)
- Faster (Rural Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Territory:
- 15x13x15 (Aura Bee from Thaumic Bees)
- 11x8x11 (Ender Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Flowers:
- None (e.g. Arid Bee from Extra Bees)
Effects:
- Beatific (Imperial Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
- Explorer (Edenic Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
- Heroic (Heroic Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
( - Mining (Solum Bee from Thaumic Bees) (Don't know what it does, I assume it is good, but didn't test it. Anyone knowing more?))
- Swiftness (Aura Bee from Thaumic Bees)
Cave Dwelling, Nocturnal, Rain Tolerance
- All three (e.g. Rocky Bee from Extra Bees)
- Rain Tolerance (some Forest Bees from Vanilla Forestry)
- Cave Dwelling + Nocturnal (Steadfast, Valiant and Heroic Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Temperature Tolerance
- Both 3 (Doctoral bee from Thaumic Bees)
- Both 2 (Rocky Bee from Extra Bees, Edenic Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Humidity Tolerance
- Both 2 (Rocky Bee from Extra Bees)
- Both 1 (Marshy Bee from Extra Bees)

All this can soon be found on the wiki mentioned in the bee breeding guide thread. We're almost finished, so it will be released into the wild soon.

Edit: Temp Tolerance Both 3 is now added since Thaumic Bees 1.4

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
As long as we're on the subject of bees here, is there a certain way you need to hook pipes up to an Alveary to insert drones and princesses? They are spilling onto the ground instead of inserting from my golden transport pipe, and it almost cost me one of my Imperials. It's my very first alveary and I'm excited to finally get some proper maintenance-free automation going.

2.0.0.2 has a bug there, 2.0.0.3 fixed it.

Epic_Dave

Jul 29, 2019
awesome everyone thank you for the continued input of finding the traits to make my super bee, im enjoying the process of following the chain of mutations and cant wait to breed the super bee :D thank you to everyone

-Dave

Yippy Kai Aye

Jul 29, 2019
I can't seem to find what exactly the temperature and humidity tolerance (+ or - 2 for example) really do. I have a demonic princess that I want to breed in a forest biome without the use of an alveary. I've played around with the plus 1 temp or humidity and have been able to go from only breeding in the nether to nether or desert or jungle. Is it possible and can you change something like the Arid trait to Normal on something like a demonic bee?

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
I can't seem to find what exactly the temperature and humidity tolerance (+ or - 2 for example) really do. I have a demonic princess that I want to breed in a forest biome without the use of an alveary. I've played around with the plus 1 temp or humidity and have been able to go from only breeding in the nether to nether or desert or jungle. Is it possible and can you change something like the Arid trait to Normal on something like a demonic bee?

The short answer is no, you cannot change what environments your bees 'prefer' - that's determined by species. For instance, a demonic bee will always prefer Arid conditions, and will not produce specialties unless in an Arid environment.

However, the bee can still produce combs if it can tolerate the environment - for instance, if your demonic bee has Both_2 as its temperature tolerance, then it can still work in temperatures two above or below its preference - of course, Hellish is maximum temperature, but two below is Warm.

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
If you are just starting out and breeding, you want queens that die quick and work fast. The super bees usually have traits like:

Nocturnal
High Fertility
Fast Worker
Long Life
Good Combs

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
Lifespan:
- Shortest for faster breeding (e.g. Meadows Bee, Forest Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Production Speed:
Drones:
Pollination:
Territory:
Flowers:
Effects:
( - Mining (Solum Bee from Thaumic Bees) (Don't know what it does, I assume it is good, but didn't test it. Anyone knowing more?))
- Cave Dwelling + Nocturnal (Steadfast, Valiant and Heroic Bee from Vanilla Forestry)
Temperature Tolerance
Humidity Tolerance

All this can soon be found on the wiki mentioned in the bee breeding guide thread. We're almost finished, so it will be released into the wild soon.

Christ on a cracker! Thank you! I've been trying to find something like this for 3 weeks. My breeding program is s random mess in my attempt to find all of these in order to figure out what the most super superbee is that i can make.

it also appears that it is time to add thaumic bees, woot.

KoreRekon

Jul 29, 2019
Lifespan:
Production Speed:
Drones:
Pollination:
Territory:
Flowers:
Effects:
Temperature Tolerance
Humidity Tolerance

Thank you so much for this. It is something I have been hoping to see for awhile. Unfortunately my multiple tests seem to go against one of the things you say about lifespan.
Every single Meadows Princess I've tested has Shorter Lifespan, not Shortest.
EDIT: Forest also seem to have Shorter Lifespan.
EDIT2: Bugger all. I found a second source that stated the same lifespan as you did. I had changed my config and set bee breeding to easy. I thought it only changed the mutation rate, but it seems to change more.