Bee question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to make Edenic bee, but the mutation is not appearing for some reason. I am playing FTB Ultimate, latest version.

I made a lot of pure breed exotic queen, exotic princess, and tropical drones. I put them in my automated alveary for over a hour but mutation still doesn't happen :(. Only exotic drone, exotic princess, and silk combs came out of production, am I doing something wrong? I've got a couple metabolic frame and soul frame in my alveary to increase mutation too.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
When you say automated alvaery do you mrs. it replaces the princesses and drones to breed again?

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
yes it pulls the princesses into the alvaery again, and the drones out. I think there's something wrong, because the i've produced over 100 princesses and drones. I've done it the other way too, with tropical princess and exotic drone. When i do it in reverse, tropical drones and princess comes out, and no edenic bees.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I would do all cross breeding by hand and analyze the bees before you chose the two to put in.
Automatic breeding like that gives you no control and you'll just end up producing pures with different traits.

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
I will mess around with traits after, I can't even make Edenic bee at all :/
What am I doing wrong? I tried mutator+nether star but it doesn't change anything.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I will mess around with traits after, I can't even make Edenic bee at all :/
What am I doing wrong? I tried mutator+nether star but it doesn't change anything.

What you're doing wrong is randomly tossing bees into the mix and hoping something pops out without checking them.

Always analyse your bees. Always breed with pure bees. (so a pure tropical princess and a pure exotic drone (or the other way around, doesn't matter)).

If you use a mutator with uranium (the raw stuff, not the ingots) you should definately see mutations if you analyse the bees.

Reactions: Mero

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
If the automated system is just placing random drones in to be breed each time, you will only get the mutation by pure luck.
That is unless you are breeding 2 pure bees each time. Which means after each cycle it throws out the princess and drones and puts in 2 new bees.

You need to analyze the bees after each cycle to make sure you're not just getting a pure princess after a couple of cycles.

If you aren't too familiar with bee breeding I suggest watching some of florastar's tutorial videos.

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
What I have is putting pure exotic princess+pure tropical bee into the alvaery, i keep on getting pure exotic princess and pure exotic drones.
It took a while for me to obtain exotic bees. I went through all the breeding in nether and more on overworld, it has been working so far and I don't see if anything is amiss.
Does FTB Ultimate have Edenic bees?

What do you mean by analyzing the bees? Does Edenic bee appear only with certain traits? Or maybe temperature/humidity? I tried to breed again in jungle, but it yields the same result.

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
ifpf9j.jpg

dh5y6q.jpg

So I am combining the 2, did i miss anything??? :(

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Analyze them all after the first breeding cycle ends, before a new queen is formed.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Don't combine a princess + drone and then analyse them. What you see is NOT what is being used while breeding, you're only seeying the stats from the princess if you analyse a bee. The genes from the drone are hidden when you check a queen but they are used for the cross breeding.

Toss that queen into an alveary and after the queen dies and you get a princess and drone, analyse those separately.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Be careful what wiki's you are using 95% of them are wrong... Especially the FTB wiki... Cultivated Princess + Valiant drone do not make f'n Charmed bees, they make Excited, as an example...

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I use the escritore to fill out my apiarist database. since it is created in game, it is guaranteed to be right. Unfortunately you have to have one of the bees in the combination before you can research the mutation pair.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Breeding bees is, for the most part, a pursuit for the patient and those highly tolerant of trial and error and error and error. As Tabu said, not all Wikis are correct and even the best ones may not provide all the necessary information. Whenever I'm in bee breeding mode, I spend nearly as much time researching as I do in-game breeding. Lots of ALT+TAB'ing.

But, I love bee breeding. It greatly extends the lifetime of my playthroughs and is something I can do from a simple Bee House on day 1 to Apiary a few days later to Imperial and Industrious to Alveraries mid-to-late-game and then through end-of-line bees for whatever effect or resource before I press the big reset button and start a new world weeks or months later.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Tip: When you look at a breed in NEI and the % chance is RED then that means 1 of 3 things

1 - It requires a specific biome/temp
2 - It requires additional material around the alveary/apiary
3 - Requires special circumstances (like moon stuff)

SPOILER ALERT Below:
If you mouse over the red % it tells you what it needs.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
What I do when breeding a new species is this:

1. Meet any special requirements.
2. Get a purebred bee of each species needed for the mutation.
3. Give each of those bees maximum fertility via serum.
4. Setup an alveary with one frame block and one mutator block.
5. Place an oblivion frame in the frame block, place 1 uranium ore in the mutator block.

If you're using the right bees and have met the requirements this pretty much guarantees you'll get the mutation on most, usually all of the offspring.

Honestly, mutating them is the easy part. Getting the trait/species serums off of the drones is the pain. If you're lucky you get all of it off of 3 of the first 4 drones. If you're unlucky you slap max fertility on the remaining drone and princess and get another generation. Rinse and repeat with the 3 extra drones each generation until you have the species serum and the trait serums you want.

Reactions: Jerome Asich

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I follow almost the exact same algorithm, but with 6x soul frames and no Mutator. I had been trying with a stack of uranium in the mutator, but I kept getting swarmers of the new species. I hadn't thought of trying 1 uranium. I'll try that - it seems cheaper and easier than using 6x soul frames.

And, I agree getting the new species or least a hybrid of the new species is easy. Getting trait and species serum is more time-consuming and may take several breeding attempts due to burned-and-miss drones.

And, thank God for the Extra Bees machines. I'm fine with vanilla bee breeding through 1 or 2 lines (ex. Imperial and Industrious) to "earn my chops", but it's tedious and frustrating after a while.