Bee Indexer Broken

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I just updated Binnie Mods from binnie-mods-1.8-dev2.jar to BINNIE-MODS-1.8-PRE1.jar.

Seems the Indexer is now completely broken as opposed to seriously bugged. Before in dev2, if you break the indexer with bees in it, you don't get your bees back. They are deleted. Now, you can't even place a bee in the indexer at all.

Anybody know about this? The indexer is pretty much the only really useful bee storage device, so its rather important. Hoping someone knows what's going on with it.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to recall that it hasn't worked properly for several versions now. May be in the process of "break it to fix it" coding. You'd have to ask Binnie.

Will a few standard bee chests really not work in the mean time? They are pretty cheap, but somehow I suspect you are talking about thousands of bees.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Fast catch, I could have sworn I checked that site yesterday. Yay for Bee mod updates! Good to have Binne back and updating again.

Reactions: Padfoote

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I downloaded the pre2 version and yes you can put bees in it again. But if you break the indexer you STILL lose your bees. Also you can't pick it up with a jabba dolly, or the gravity gun. There's really no way to move an indexer full of bees. :(

Also it seems you can't pipe bees into the indexer but you can pipe them out. I tried it with the translocators. The apiarist's backpack doesn't interact with the indexer at all (very surprising) but can drop and pull from a regular chest. So I guess at best, to move an indexer full of bees, pipe them out first into a regular chest, then use the backpack to take them with you. Then manually put them all back into the indexer once its been moved.

Still - the worst part is that accidentally breaking the indexer through a careless swing of the pickaxe or something, will result in all your important bees vanishing permanently.

Last edited:

SkyBoy96

Jul 29, 2019
Still - the worst part is that accidentally breaking the indexer through a careless swing of the pickaxe or something, will result in all your important bees vanishing permanently.
I'm not sure an indexer, which has limited search capabilities, and can store thousands upon thousands of bees, is the best spot to store your valuable drones. Your best bet is to keep a couple for breeding purposes in an apiarists chest or a normal chest.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Destroying the bees inside it is most 100% definitely the way to go, dropping the amount of bees in the world an Indexer could hold would 99.999% of the time crash the server/client.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure an indexer, which has limited search capabilities, and can store thousands upon thousands of bees, is the best spot to store your valuable drones. Your best bet is to keep a couple for breeding purposes in an apiarists chest or a normal chest.

While the indexer has limited search capability, an AE system connected to the indexer with a storage has very robust search capability.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
I won't use the Indexer anymore since it seems the block has always had problems. Also since it is a single point of failure one wrong move or an ID Conflict and all of your bees can be gone if you use the one Indexer for storage. Don't get me wrong it is a great machine but just too prone to failure lately for me to gamble all of my bees.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the way I do things, I always get a bee pair (princess/drone) genetically manipulated exactly how I want FIRST, and then once they are just perfect, I put the pair in the indexer. I will put all the species in this way once I have their genes fixed properly. Then, when I want to make a new species, I will take 15 or so drones from that stack and successively breed them with a raw meadows or forest princess from the wild until that princess becomes the species I want. Then I'll have the right bees to deliberately breed the new mutation. But this setup requires 1 princess and 1 stack of drones from each species that I've made. And the indexer is the best place to put them.

And no, losing the bees is NOT the best way to go when you break the indexer. The indexer should retain the bees, much like a strongbox when you break that. The indexer should be portable.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
We had to revert to Pre1 (with broken indexers) on our server because Pre2 for some reason was causing everybody to get disconnected when they attempted to access the GUI of bee machines.Indexer, or Inoculator was tested. Clicking on these caused the player to get booted. Not a full game crash.

The strange thing is that in single player, it works fine. This only happened in multiplayer. We were using MCPC+ and I doubt that could be part of the issue, since we've always used that, and we never had problems with the bee machines before. Also we tried Pre2 w/o MCPC+ and it still broke.

So, why would Pre2 work in single player but not on the server?

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
We had to revert to Pre1 (with broken indexers) on our server because Pre2 for some reason was causing everybody to get disconnected when they attempted to access the GUI of bee machines.Indexer, or Inoculator was tested. Clicking on these caused the player to get booted. Not a full game crash.

The strange thing is that in single player, it works fine. This only happened in multiplayer. We were using MCPC+ and I doubt that could be part of the issue, since we've always used that, and we never had problems with the bee machines before. Also we tried Pre2 w/o MCPC+ and it still broke.

So, why would Pre2 work in single player but not on the server?

just a quick reply, don't know if you've seen it already, but an official 1.6 version of Binnie's mods got released
http://extrabees.accudio.com/downloads.html

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Specifically, one the bugs listed as fixed on the new official 1.6 version is server disconnects, so that is probably why.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. Amazing that, having encountered both of these bugs and having them fixed so promptly. Very cool. Will put it on the server tomorrow.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Must admit I only used the indexer for storing all the pristine collected bees found in wild hives. Random hybrids get scrapped and pure stable bees get stored in a chest for each species in my "Genebank vaults" :p
But did consider setting up a separate ME network for bees and the Indexer would be ideal for that. So good to see it fixed ;)